Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting in with the battery removed

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:18 AM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree, don't waste you time trying to revive the crappy OEM battery. If you do revive you would get one more season at best and most likely will end up dying on you at the worst time. Spend the $120-$150 on a new battery and get the piece of mind.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:00 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

If you really want to try and add water, peel the stickers starting from the windshield side of the battery. only 1/2 the sticker will peel off since it is perforated right below where the "+" caps are.

Take a quarter to unscrew the caps. Point a flashlight down the hole and you'll see a plastic tab shaped like an "L". Use a dropper or a small cup and fill to water to the level at the bottom of the "L". As soon as you touch the bottom of the "L" stop, seal the cap and goto the next cell.

Be very careful not to overfill since it's sufuric acid you're dealing with. Wear eye protection as well.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:02 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

For the last 5 years I had to add distilled water 2-3 times per year with the OEM battery. Lack of using a battery tender or not enough driving & low water levels cause most of the problems with the OEM battery
(or any battery). Here are 2 links on adding water to a battery:

http://www.trojanbattery.com.cn/Batt...e/Watering.htm

http://www.mz3.net/articles/142.html

Last edited by NA011; 05-14-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Adding links
Old 05-14-2010, 05:53 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it just that one bolt on the left hand side of the battery tray that needs to be loosened (in addition to the wires connecting to the posts of course)?
Old 05-14-2010, 05:55 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Originally Posted by NA011
For the last 5 years I had to add distilled water 2-3 times per year with the OEM battery. Lack of using a battery tender or not enough driving & low water levels cause most of the problems with the OEM battery
(or any battery). Here are 2 links on adding water to a battery:

http://www.trojanbattery.com.cn/Batt...e/Watering.htm

http://www.mz3.net/articles/142.html
did it just start right up after you added the water? or did you have to leave it on a charger for awhile. and then did it just fire up after that?
Old 05-14-2010, 06:19 PM
NA011
Racer

One bolt & the two posts. Take the negative off first then the positive.
The only time I had battery problems was after 4 1/2 years. When it was dead it was dead . No charger (trickle or fast) was going to bring it back to life.
When I added water over the last 4 1/2 years it was just a topping up of the water level. The battery was always in good shape & held a good charge.
Most if not all of the time when you have an older battery & it looses its charge & it is nearly dry it will never come back to life.
Every time the battery charges some of internal guts of the battery move toward one side of the plates/posts & when it discharges it moves back to the other side. However it's not 100% efficient so with time (4 - 5 years) the connector/plates fail. When the water level get low the sulfuric acid gets stronger & eats more of the lead. Distilled water is added so the strength of acid remains the same. Tap water will weaken the acid due to the calcium content. With a set thickness of the plates & connectors the battery company can set the CCA & the length of time that the battery will last. That's why the same size battery has different CCA & life.

Last edited by NA011; 05-14-2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-14-2010, 09:00 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Originally Posted by 1crazy canuck
is it just that one bolt on the left hand side of the battery tray that needs to be loosened (in addition to the wires connecting to the posts of course)?
Originally Posted by NA011
One bolt & the two posts. Take the negative off first then the positive.
The only time I had battery problems was after 4 1/2 years. When it was dead it was dead . No charger (trickle or fast) was going to bring it back to life.
When I added water over the last 4 1/2 years it was just a topping up of the water level. The battery was always in good shape & held a good charge.
Most if not all of the time when you have an older battery & it looses its charge & it is nearly dry it will never come back to life.
Every time the battery charges some of internal guts of the battery move toward one side of the plates/posts & when it discharges it moves back to the other side. However it's not 100% efficient so with time (4 - 5 years) the connector/plates fail. When the water level get low the sulfuric acid gets stronger & eats more of the lead. Distilled water is added so the strength of acid remains the same. Tap water will weaken the acid due to the calcium content. With a set thickness of the plates & connectors the battery company can set the CCA & the length of time that the battery will last. That's why the same size battery has different CCA & life.

Wow-- sounds like you really know your batteries.

I didn't know all of that stuff. I think I'm actually going to end up taking everyone's advice here and, replace my battery AND add water to my old one just to see what happens -- It might be good info for others on the board to know what happens.

I am going to swap my battery, then peel off my old stickers, add distilled water, and then charge it. If I can get around to it, I will then take it for a load test. just to see....It's definately not for the financial end of things -- as I have decided to get a new battery anyway...but I wonder if these batteries have more life in them then Porsche is letting on, so that Porsche can sell us a bunch of $3-$400 batteries more often than we need
Old 05-14-2010, 09:19 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

You are wasting your time. Batteries are fully recyclable. Do not concern yourself with Prince Al Gore. He does not practice what he preaches. He wastes more energy and pollutes far more than most people, while milking it all the way to the bank. Gore just purchased a $9M ocean front home while preaching against that for the rest if us and he's nit worried about sea level rising either.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:07 PM
NA011
Racer

Speaking of Al Gore, think how much colder this winter & spring would have been if we did not have Global Warming going on. FYI - here are some pictures of his new carbon neutral home.

http://newsbusters.org/node/38375
Old 05-15-2010, 12:30 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interstate MTP-H7 (NOT the 8!!) fit perfectly and cost me $150 at Firestone. I looked at other options but it was a royal PITA to find any of the batteries that will go in the 997 actually IN STOCK locally (spent 30 mins calling people, and actual change of battery was <10 mins). I didn't want to mess with modifying the mount/plate/whatever, and I got damn tired of arguing with retailers about whether my car needed the H7 or H8.

I don't think it bothered my back so much as it did my deltoid from lifting the dead battery out. If you have a buddy who will help you and then have a couple beers when finished then I would do that. I'm lucky I didn't injure my shoulder.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:15 AM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Originally Posted by JasonKM
I agree, don't waste you time trying to revive the crappy OEM battery. If you do revive you would get one more season at best and most likely will end up dying on you at the worst time. Spend the $120-$150 on a new battery and get the piece of mind.
thanks for all your help and that tip on the walmart energizer one worked perfect.

It's an exact fit with a 3 year 100% warranty. Everything down to the drain tube. Fired up right away.

When I opened it up, it was virtually bone dry in some of the cells..
I added the distilled water to the oem battery and it fired up... But didn't fare so well on a load test. It was working.. But I don't want to get stuck somewhere at the worst time. Al gores crying-- but I'm lovin my new battery.

How long did your energizer one last you?/ how long have you had it in?
Old 05-15-2010, 01:20 AM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Oh, and a big thanks to everyone here...really appreciate all the help and input
it truly was a simple job... And you guys had me all worried about pulling the battery out with the weight... I'm glad because I lifted it with a healthy dose of caution.
Heavy, but not quite as heavy as I thought.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:06 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I put a new Interstate MTP-H7 in the S about 18 months ago. The car has been sitting for a couple months, and that battery is now dead. I took it to Autozone and they tried twice to charge it (free service), but won't take, so I guess its toast. I looked at the warranty info and it should be covered EXCEPT there seems to be an out in their warranty if you let it discharge - anyone know about this? I am cheap and would like a warranty replacement ... but I should probably just go buy a new battery and get on with it!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:44 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 1crazy canuck
thanks for all your help and that tip on the walmart energizer one worked perfect.

It's an exact fit with a 3 year 100% warranty. Everything down to the drain tube. Fired up right away.

When I opened it up, it was virtually bone dry in some of the cells..
I added the distilled water to the oem battery and it fired up... But didn't fare so well on a load test. It was working.. But I don't want to get stuck somewhere at the worst time. Al gores crying-- but I'm lovin my new battery.

How long did your energizer one last you?/ how long have you had it in?
My Energizer has only been the car for about 1 month. I works perfect and I notice a little stronger starting with the increased CCA
Old 05-17-2010, 03:36 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

do you know the exact specs of the Energizer ? i.e. weight, and weight vs stock, cca, etc?

Quick Reply: Getting in with the battery removed