Sponsored by:

Getting in with the battery removed

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 04:12 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting in with the battery removed

My 997 has been sitting all winter without a battery charger, and I couldn't really put one on it because I don't have power close by in the underground parkade that it has been parked in.

No surprises here, but the battery is dead. I opened the door with the key, and jumped it to get the hood open, and jump started it once with the Auto Club folks coming to jump it.

They left, and I tried it again--completely dead. SO they guy came back so that I could close my door as the window was in the fully up position still so I couldn't close my door.

Well fast forward to about a week ago, where I tried to jump the car with my Range Rover (it has a brand new battery in it)-- no luck. it would sort of turn over, really slow--but would just fade out. Never started.

Im thinking that the battery is likely dead beyond repair. But I have seen others that have come back to life after this type of situation and be brought back to life.

My question is--how difficult is it to remove the battery from the 997, as my tools are a long ways away (i.e. do I just need a couple of wrenches/sockets)?

and when the battery is removed, and I take it into my place and plug it into a charged for say 2-3 days to then test it, how would I reopen the hood (the old procedure using the footwell fusebox jump will likely not work with no battery physically in the car)?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts

Removing a battery is child's play. If you're not too heavy you should stand in the luggage compartment to remove it--as you're really open to hurting your back as you lift it bent over like that.

I replaced mine several months ago and I didn't even bother to photographically document it because it was so easy. You will need a wrench to loosen and later tighten down the hold down clamp, and a smaller wrench to loosen up the terminals themselves. Don't even bother to try to keep power to the car when you do the battery changeover. It's not necessary. Once the new one is in you should be able to fairly quickly clear all of the alerts and warnings yourself.

Do not remove the battery and then close the trunk, or you will have to revert to a mechanical process to open that compartment. What year is your 997? Charging a battery for 2-3 days isn't going to really make a difference if the battery is shot. Just buy a new battery and stick it in. It will take all of 10-15 minutes.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:25 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Thanks edgy. It's good to know that I shouldn't close the hood without another battery.

Im trying to get Al Gore out of my nightmares by not buying another battery unless absolutely necessary.

Im just wondering if it is simple enough to do, and the battery comes back to life, no point in buying a new one.

But if it's shot, I may as well buy a new one and was thinking of the optima 925 for weight savings, but don't want it to go dead all the time.

Which battery do you use?/ recommend?
Old 05-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I priced Porsche batteries for my 06' 997 at Sam's and Costco. About $85.00.

Big-O tires can order them too for about $100.00.

No need to get the way more expensive ones from the Porsche dealership.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:41 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

1crazycanuck,

You can use either a H7 from Interstate or any Group 94R battery, both are direct fit replacments. Be careful that most battery reference charts will list the H8 from Interstate or a Group 49-60 battery. They will fit in the battery, but you need to modify the bolt down bracket. Not worth the trouble.

If you're in Canada I would go with either CanadianTire/Partsource (Exide made battery), which carry a 94R for $149. Other option is Wal-Mart (Energizer made by Johnson Controls) for $120. Both have 3yr full replacement and 9-yr pro-rated warranty. I recently installed the Energizer from Wal-Mart (battery # 108-94R) and it works great in my 07 C4S. Actually more power than the stock battery.

Last edited by JasonKM; 05-13-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:04 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

^ Bring it to Parts Source and they will test it for free and tell you if it's truly dead.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:10 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Jasonkm,

do you know how many cold cranking amps the energizer / wal mart one puts out ?
Old 05-13-2010, 06:12 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

oh, and did you let the wal mart "technicians" install it or did you do it yourself?
Old 05-13-2010, 06:56 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I thinks it 765 CCA vs. the stock battery Moell at 675 CCA.

I installed the battery myself. Took me all of 20 mins. Removed the bolt and you will need to tilt the battery forward to get it out from the battery tray. You will see why when you look at the base of the battery.

When you start the car you may get a PASM error. It will go away after you drive the car for 5-10mins

specs on the stock Moell battery (58045) are available here. Note the cross reference to Group 94R battery
http://mollbatterien.com/MollKamina/...A/Default.aspx
Old 05-13-2010, 06:57 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh Canada,

Here is a link to an older post that my help you. Good Luck

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ouncement.html
Old 05-13-2010, 11:44 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

are the factory Porsche batteries sealed ?(so you don't add distilled water, etc?)
Old 05-14-2010, 01:05 AM
Bum
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The battery in my 06 C2S is not sealed. The plugs are covered by a sticker that was never taken off. I finally got around to opening all 6 and after about a quart of distilled water to fill them up, I put the car back on the battery tender for 2 days. The car still cranks like normal so hopefully this will just extend the life of the OEM part.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:23 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the battery was allowed to discharge to the point that the doors won't unlock or the window won't go up or down you'll have a hard time actually reviving it. The battery should have been removed for the season and put on a trickle charger (would normally be done in the car but due to your predicament isn't possible).

As for sizing, see above. I suggest Canadian tire, but i'm biased. Optima is an excellent choice though but pricey. Have fun!
Old 05-14-2010, 01:35 AM
1crazy canuck
Racer

So you just removed the Two stickers? One of them has Porsche written on it in the Porsche font, and a 99x.xxx.xxx part number on it, but the stickers don't look removable.

But I do see th outlines of the caps underneath the sticker - you know, the caps that have "+" on them, and you could remove them to put distiller water in, in a normal battery

I figure if the worst case is tfat I'm gonna have to replace the battery anyway, $1.28 worth of distiller water seems like a pretty good bet.

How did you peel back the stickers- or dud you just punch through the "+" signs with a screwdriver?
Old 05-14-2010, 10:57 AM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd replace the battery. It's an expensive car, and I would rather have the peace of mind than wait for the next unforeseen moment the battery fails you.

Quick Reply: Getting in with the battery removed