Sponsored by:

I Created a Brake Squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:31 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I Created a Brake Squeal?

Driving for fun, saw a cop. Slammed on brakes (no traffic). Immediately after that emergency ticket evasion technique my left front caliper started squealing. Just for more fun I drove in reverse for quite a distance hitting brakes repeatedly hoping to dislodge debris: nothing.

Sound familiar? Can you actually create a brake squeal by hitting brakes?

BTW, what do I do to get rid of it? A search says spray with brake cleaner. Is that it?
Old 05-12-2010, 01:35 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Driving for fun, saw a cop. Slammed on brakes (no traffic). Immediately after that emergency ticket evasion technique my left front caliper started squealing. Just for more fun I drove in reverse for quite a distance hitting brakes repeatedly hoping to dislodge debris: nothing.

Sound familiar? Can you actually create a brake squeal by hitting brakes?

BTW, what do I do to get rid of it? A search says spray with brake cleaner. Is that it?
no. i was hitting them way heavier 2 days in a row at evo school and have no squealing.

jack up car, take off wheel and swap pads around - they are same.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 136 Posts

Brake squeal is routinely arrived at by NOT using your brakes in an aggressive enough manner during daily drives. You get a glaze on them that leads to the sound you describe. Suggest you change your foot pressure on the brake by braking late and often for every light or corner. Really press it hard. Occasionally you can pick up a piece of road debris which can lodge between the pad and rotor and drive you nuts until you shake it loose--but it sounds like the dealt with that.

Brake cleaner, essentially dry cleaner fluid--trichlorethelene, is good stuff, but not relevant to solving your problem.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Even just getting too much brake dust in the wrong spots can induce squeal. The brake cleaner suggestion is good.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:36 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nugget
Even just getting too much brake dust in the wrong spots can induce squeal. The brake cleaner suggestion is good.
I would take off pads, spray rotors with brake fluid and apply a bit of sand paper to pads working surface to remove glaze and just even up wear. it usually helps to most pads if rotors are not yet completely killed.
just spraying outside of a caliper is same good as kicking wheels with your foot.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I usually just wait a few days and it goes away.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:10 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nugget
I usually just wait a few days and it goes away.
it depends - on my lexus it never goes away by itself even if I speed up to 120mph and then stop dead. only sand paper helps. but it was so with old beaten up rotors, with new rotors it is all back to normal and never makes funny noises anymore - I finally put new rotors on it after 168K miles.

process itself is somewhat like 30min top - but for people who do not like to jack up their cars it may pose some challenge...
Old 05-12-2010, 03:14 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good, thanks guys. I'll do some more driving, if that doesn't fix it then it looks like I might be doing some car jacking this weekend.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:43 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

turn up your stereo

Quick Reply: I Created a Brake Squeal?