Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are The Sports Seats Narrower Than The Regular Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:18 AM
tincanman99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are The Sports Seats Narrower Than The Regular Seats?

I saw online a deal leftover Carrera S that was in a color I like. The car is loaded - full leather, painted bits in the interior, blah, blah but it has the sports seats with deviating stitching.

I can see that the seats have little wings up by the shoulder area to hold you in better but I could not tell from the pictures if the bottom bolsters are higher or narrower.

So are they narrower everywhere - shoulders and lower bolsters?
Old 05-12-2010, 11:09 AM
alain-964c2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tincanman99
I saw online a deal leftover Carrera S that was in a color I like. The car is loaded - full leather, painted bits in the interior, blah, blah but it has the sports seats with deviating stitching.

I can see that the seats have little wings up by the shoulder area to hold you in better but I could not tell from the pictures if the bottom bolsters are higher or narrower.

So are they narrower everywhere - shoulders and lower bolsters?
Yes, they sport seats are narrower, I find them too tight. They must provide more support at the track. For a daily driver, I like and find the regular seats much more comfortable.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:15 AM
mschwa3439
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

luv my sport seats. leather is better than standard and more supportive. have them on my c4s daily driver
Old 05-12-2010, 11:48 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Sports seats are simply excellent. You must see if you fit in them of course.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:20 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
You must see if you fit in them of course.
Important point: try them first. Sport seats are meant to cradle the body more with a tighter fit; pneumatic bolster adjustments add to that. Then again, 997 ss aren't as "demanding" as in the past since If I remember correctly 996/986 sport seats were fine for some and unforgivingly crippling for others, especially in the shoulders.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:56 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Sport and Sport Bucket seats are 2 different seats. I am 6'5" 240lbs 38" waist and fit perfectly in the Sport seats. They are very comfortable.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Absolutely--everyone should try before they buy. I like the Adaptive Sport Seats for their infinite adjustments on the fly. I was willing to pay the weight penalty.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:05 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Yes the adaptive seats are very nice. They weight more but for a street car you'll never ever know.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:45 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have all 3 seats in various cars. To me the Sport seats and Standard seats are the same "width" and the difference is the larger bolsters to hold you in. For me (thin) they feel better than the stockers that don't hold you at all. The Sport Buckets are a whole other animal. Only you can tell...
Old 05-15-2010, 11:12 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Important point: try them first. Sport seats are meant to cradle the body more with a tighter fit; pneumatic bolster adjustments add to that. Then again, 997 ss aren't as "demanding" as in the past since If I remember correctly 996/986 sport seats were fine for some and unforgivingly crippling for others, especially in the shoulders.
+1, best advice here.

I like them but honestly if I was ordering a car instead of buying pre-owned or from dealer inventory then I probably wouldn't have selected the option. They're nice, but not $3500 nice when new (for me).
Old 05-15-2010, 05:43 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Orthopedically speaking, I prefer the standard seats for my back. For sports seats, in general I will only get them if they have thigh/length extenders (like bmw sports seats). If I'm going to be gripped in tightly by side bolstering, I like the seat length adjusted longer to disperse the pressure onto the legs and thus reduce it on the spine. Thigh extenstion isn't necessary on the standard seats.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:49 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
Orthopedically speaking, I prefer the standard seats for my back. For sports seats, in general I will only get them if they have thigh/length extenders (like bmw sports seats). If I'm going to be gripped in tightly by side bolstering, I like the seat length adjusted longer to disperse the pressure onto the legs and thus reduce it on the spine. Thigh extenstion isn't necessary on the standard seats.

Can you explain? If one fits in the sports seats, they offer much better support !?! I fit in mine perfectly like a glove and feel no spine pressure and I do not see what seat extenders would do. Please explain your views above re seat extenders. TIA.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:11 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Well, no seats are a problem if you're back is good. It's only those of us with bad backs who notice the differences.
On a standard seat, your legs and hips spread more laterally, it disperses the weight. In bolstered sports seats, you can't do that as much, you're legs are in a bit tighter, so more weight is on the spine. Lengthening the seat puts disperses more of the weight, onto the thighs.

Porsche seats are fairly long anyway, so sport seats are still fine I think.
But in recaro and bmw sport seats, nearly everyone extends their seat length!
Old 05-15-2010, 06:15 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Sorry for the typos are grammar. I'm doing this one-handed on my blackberry.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
Sorry for the typos are grammar. I'm doing this one-handed on my blackberry.
...with the other hand on the steering wheel??

Quick Reply: Are The Sports Seats Narrower Than The Regular Seats?