Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should 911s have keyless entry and start?
Yes, it is today's technology and convenience
35.23%
No, it is one of 911s traditions
64.77%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Keyless entry and start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:48 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
Keyless entry & remote start? Absolutely not. I don't want any unintended door unlocking, and I want to physically start my own cars, thank you.
I agree. There are many potential drawbacks in a keyless system.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:55 PM
996FourEss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice thing about having the key hole on the left is you get to put the key into it and start the car and that is a tactile experience. This car is all about tactile experiences, right. Indeed, actually prefer the old mechanism to the new all electric ones where it is a twist right and then back as feels articifical. Having no key, how would you start the thing, a button on the left? No thanks, like the old fashioned way....
Old 05-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FourEss
Nice thing about having the key hole on the left is you get to put the key into it and start the car and that is a tactile experience. This car is all about tactile experiences, right. Indeed, actually prefer the old mechanism to the new all electric ones where it is a twist right and then back as feels articifical. Having no key, how would you start the thing, a button on the left? No thanks, like the old fashioned way....

Ah... so you would prefer it if you had to stand at the back of the car, insert the starting lever into a slot on the engine, and give it a good couple of cranks for a few seconds to get the engine going then. Now THAT is a tactile experience.

Sorry, but it was just teed up so nicely
Old 05-11-2010, 11:05 PM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ucube
Keyless entry & remote start? Absolutely not. I don't want any unintended door unlocking, and I want to physically start my own cars, thank you.
I've never had an unintended unlocking in my Miata. I have had some unintended lockings. If you unlock the car, but do not open the door within 30 seconds, it'll re-lock itself.

Originally Posted by 996FourEss
My Miata still has a keyhole and a physical key, even though it has the advanced key. When using the physical key, you insert it in the hole and turn, just as you would any other car. When using the advanced key, there's a plastic... Not quite handle, but something to replicate the end of the key, that you turn to start the car. It's very much still the physical sensation of turning against the start and having it rotate back to ON when you release.

I'm not trying to harp on things, just trying to provide a real-world example.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:22 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
they should keep the key but make it shorter or less pointy.
I'm not so sure about the smaller key.
For example, I make a lot of "small key compensation" jokes about my friend's Ferrari.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:20 AM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a real techno geek. That being said, I gave up all the gadgetry ( was looking at other cars that had all that stuff) to get my 911. What the car lacks in electronic gadgets, it makes up for 100 fold in the way it feels and drives. I don't miss it at all!

Oh, I did end up putting a super duper high end nav,stereo,Bluetooth, iPod, etc system in my car...couldn't give it up all together!
Old 05-12-2010, 12:50 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Smaller key would be great. Keyless entry start /would be handy as well. I had both in my last BMW and I don't see any drawbacks - it was very convenient and worked well...and didn't affect the way the car handled at all. It'd be one of those options that purists could forgo - like PDK and electric seats and radio - pick your decade where you draw the line - in fact, maybe the configurator for the car should have a "year" slider, where you just dial in the amount of nostalgia you want.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by equiraptor
If you unlock the car, but do not open the door within 30 seconds, it'll re-lock itself.
Yes, that's how most cars work these days, with or without keyless entry. The point is, I don't want a keyless system to "guess" what I might do simply because I'm within range. If I really wanted to unlock/lock my car, then I'd do it myself. As far as remote engine start, I'd never start my car without being in it.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I, for one, would like my car to drive itself. It might do a better job than I ever could. Actually, I moved from BMW to Porsche becasue BMW has become too Lexus-like. It remains one of the more simple sports cars and I like it that way.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Keyless entry and start?