Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should 911s have keyless entry and start?
Yes, it is today's technology and convenience
35.23%
No, it is one of 911s traditions
64.77%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Keyless entry and start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:04 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAMG
The only thing I do wish for is the autmated on/off headlights.
I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Porsche buyers tend to be all over the place as to what is and isn't appropriate for a "sports car". Lots of lines in the sand...
Old 05-10-2010, 04:48 PM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Porsche buyers tend to be all over the place as to what is and isn't appropriate for a "sports car". Lots of lines in the sand...
I do wish for the automated headlight but can live without it. For a sport car Porsche does give quite a few modern convinience; bluetooth, XM, NAV, voice control etc.

John
Old 05-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

considering there was a thread over the swiveling headlights, I'd say some people want this kinda stuff.

Love it in the benz, don't want it in the porsche.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I find it odd that wives seem to demand keyless entry.. .when they are the ones running around with purses to put keys into. If anything its the guys, who have to put our keys in the front pockets of our pants, that would want something smaller and more low profile. I'll be the first to say, a smaller, flatter fob options that unlocked the car and let you push-button start it, would be nice. If it were an option I'd have probably ordered my Targa with it.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:34 PM
edgybob
7th Gear

Bought it on the CLS. sounded like a good idea at the dealer, but in practice has actually turned out to be kind of a pain in the butt. You still have to carry the "key" around (it aint small) and you never quite know exactly where it is. Could be in the car, the briefcase, jacket pocket etc. The auto unlock when I walk close to the car (without pressing anything) is a much more useful feature. That I would go for in porsche number next - and redesign (or remove) the trunk opener as well. I hit it accidently all the time when fumbling with the key.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:17 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by edgybob
Bought it on the CLS. sounded like a good idea at the dealer, but in practice has actually turned out to be kind of a pain in the butt. You still have to carry the "key" around (it aint small) and you never quite know exactly where it is. Could be in the car, the briefcase, jacket pocket etc. The auto unlock when I walk close to the car (without pressing anything) is a much more useful feature. That I would go for in porsche number next - and redesign (or remove) the trunk opener as well. I hit it accidently all the time when fumbling with the key.
The dealer can reprogram your car to increase the duration of time the trunk button key must be held down to open the trunk.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:50 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gota911
The dealer can reprogram your car to increase the duration of time the trunk button key must be held down to open the trunk.
The longest setting isn't enough. Why can't they just allow it to be disabled completely for those of us that don't want this "feature"? It's a trivial software tweak.

Porsche is starting to behave like BMW.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:00 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

I have never even set up the keyless entry on any of my other cars.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:25 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

We've passed the point of no return.

Sports car? Not a sports car? There is no answer since computers have changed the playing field.

Also, it used to be you'd want fewer electronic devices because that meant less that could go wrong.

Now? The car is so totally computerized that having keyless start is just like having another little application.

Conclusion: Yeah sure why not, IMHO? Good way to let car warm up from inside the house in winter even though you're supposed to drive off immediately to save the environment.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Good way to let car warm up from inside the house in winter even though you're supposed to drive off immediately to save the environment.
So you don't want a manual transmission either?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

The Porsche key is not old school. Old tech maybe. It is freakishly large and a pain to carry around.

A previous sports car of mine had a keyless transmitter about the size of a credit card. I kept it in my wallet with my other credit cards. When I walked up to the car I pressed a button on the door handle and the car would unlock. Once in the car, I turned a **** where the key would normally go to start the car. If the keyless battery failed, I could simply slide a real key out from the keyless device and unlock the door, easily remove the **** I normally turned to start the car, insert the key and go. With this keyless you could use the key manually all the time if you wanted to.

I expect this kind of technology in a Porsche. It's not complicated and isn't "not sports car", it's just current like air conditioning or electric windows. I don't see anyone in the "sports car" camp complaining about those.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:36 AM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jastx
A previous sports car of mine had a keyless transmitter about the size of a credit card. I kept it in my wallet with my other credit cards. When I walked up to the car I pressed a button on the door handle and the car would unlock. Once in the car, I turned a **** where the key would normally go to start the car. If the keyless battery failed, I could simply slide a real key out from the keyless device and unlock the door, easily remove the **** I normally turned to start the car, insert the key and go. With this keyless you could use the key manually all the time if you wanted to.
Sounds exactly like what my Miata has. I have two dislikes about this. First, the battery seems to wear out very, very quickly. Second, the range isn't quite what I'd like. I threw it in the glove box once when sharing the car at an autocross. My codriver spun and stalled the car, and couldn't get it restarted.

I do not have a problem with something like this being an option on sports cars. I think a traditional key should still be available.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:33 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

IMO, unless you live in a frigid climate where going out to start the car is a real chore, remote start has little value. As for keyless entry, my wife has it on her Highlander Hybrid. It's convenient in some ways, but I'm one of those people who likes to double check that the car is locked by pulling on the handle...which of course unlocks the car again if you're carrying the key. I'm perfectly happy with the key fob/remote on the Porsche. Make keyless entry/remote start an option if at all. I wouldn't want it.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:02 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 31 Posts

current key = perfect.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Keyless entry & remote start? Absolutely not. I don't want any unintended door unlocking, and I want to physically start my own cars, thank you.

Quick Reply: Keyless entry and start?