Sponsored by:

Carrera GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Clifton
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Thats funny - so you've decided what does or doent "belong" in a certain car. Thank goodness you don't get to decide.

You didn't answer the question on whether you've actually owned one or more GT3's.

The Gt3 is a street car that should be taken to the track. In my humble opinion, they should offer it in both 6 speed and PDK. Unlike Ferrari. People who want to row and believe its "sacrilege" to have PDK and are not interested in wringing the absolute best lap time, can buy it. Others will have the choice to buy a PDK equipped car with a state of the art gear box.
How many factoy backed Porsche race cars are ringing those "absolute best lap times" with PDK? Additionally, can you point me to the checkbox where PDK is an option when buying a factory prepared race car? Perfect shifting comes at a cost, complexity and weight; two things you try to avoid in racing.

Assuming there is a major point to be gained here, what do the car(s) in my garage have to do with anything with my vocalizing my opinion?
Old 05-09-2010, 01:34 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
if i want to go fast, i drive pdk. if i want to feel fasst, i drive my stick
dave
Old 05-09-2010, 02:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

This thread was started to discuss a new model and ends up with a senseless PDK rant fueled by the stick fanatic PDK haters. Give me a brake. Choice is good.

To the PDK haters: you need therapy.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:57 PM
ericthepilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rvklein
How many of us keep trying to lower the car's weight when we could better afford to lower our own

hear hear, I concur ....
(whilst growing rounder)
Old 05-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Clifton
Pro

Originally Posted by ADias
This thread was started to discuss a new model and ends up with a senseless PDK rant fueled by the stick fanatic PDK haters. Give me a brake. Choice is good.

Sounds like someone needs a nap and a hug. *hug*

No one was hating on PDK or the choice of buying one. Hell, I'd buy one.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:51 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
I doubt that, unless you did some serious liposuction. And you can already get a narrow body C2S with X51 and PDK, right?
Wouldn't need much with PCCB, removal of stock cats and exhaust saves about 100 lbs. Which would drop the weight to about 100 lbs off the GT3 weight. With less then 30 HP difference and the magic of PDK and the wider track. The GT3.2 wouldn't really stand a chance unless your a pro driver.
I would be pretty peeved if I owned a 997 GT3.1 now. No wonder the prices are dropping so quickly.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:53 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Edgy01
++ Having a wider body only slows you down. I'm very happy with the thin car.
Wider body, means wider track. Gives you more grip. Faster round corners means faster lap times. So be happy with a thin car but don't think it's any faster.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

However, wider rear only means wider rear track and more grip in the rear only, increasing what is already too much understeer in the 997 chassis. Wider also means less aerodynamic. So wider is slower in the turns, and slower in a straight line.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:10 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias

+1 million.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:12 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
However, wider rear only means wider rear track and more grip in the rear only, increasing what is already too much understeer in the 997 chassis. Wider also means less aerodynamic. So wider is slower in the turns, and slower in a straight line.
Nah, going wider allows the car to have more rear grip which makes the car more stable in turns which is faster. The car may push more but that can be dialed out with toe and camber settings. All the cars are setup to understeer anyways.
Aerodynamically the width difference is so marginal that a 1 or 2 mile decrease in top speed is all that you would ever see but on the track carrying through a higher speed and having a faster exit speed and getting grip to put the power down earlier means a way faster speed down the straight. Top speed doesn't really matter since on 99% of tracks you'll never get to top speed anyways.

If you think there is too much understeer in the 997 chassis, then your wrong. The suspension is setup to understeer from the factory. The 911 chassis with the engine in the rear is an oversteering car by nature and Porsche has went to great extents to make it as stable as it is now.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Wider rear on a Carrera is for looks only. It is already nearly impossible to get the back end to step out, and, yes, it has too much understeer. It does not need more rear grip.

(But, hey, don't take my word for it...note that the GT2RS and GT3RS have wider rear AND front track for optimal balance.)
Old 06-03-2010, 02:47 AM
motobri
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Any more info on this model?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:29 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Clifton
How many factoy backed Porsche race cars are ringing those "absolute best lap times" with PDK? Additionally, can you point me to the checkbox where PDK is an option when buying a factory prepared race car? Perfect shifting comes at a cost, complexity and weight; two things you try to avoid in racing.

Assuming there is a major point to be gained here, what do the car(s) in my garage have to do with anything with my vocalizing my opinion?
How in the world this thread got to become a discussion about PDK vs. Manual? Since it has, I rahter chime in...

I just came back from Nurburing, attending Porsche Sports Cup event. I asked the EXACT same question from the race drivers of both Sports Cup and Super Sports Cup... they all said PDK is fast, but not proven in race conditions, and not adopted by anyone in those series.

The biggest issues are:
  • Unknown reliability under race conditions
  • Added Weight
  • Computer Glitches that can cause unexpected failures
  • Cost of Maintenance
  • Inflexibility to modify transmission for various purposes (endurance vs. short race)

Basically, unless we're talking F1 funding and resources, a complex gearbox is not ideal for smaller racing series, and this particular transmission is NOT proven reliable under race conditions... and we're NOT talking DE days folks! Having PDK in TT doesn't mean anything, as TT is more of a GT car than race-car (look how many more Cabriolets are ordered vs. Coupe).

Having said that... I believe there IS a market for PDK GT3, as I am sure there are folks who like to own a GT3 for bragging rights, who really don't race it heavily (I know a couple of those folks), and if Porsche marketing research finds there's a market, they will make it available maybe in GT3, and not in GT3 RS. This is all a guess!

Cheers!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Clifton
Pro

Originally Posted by alexb76
Having said that... I believe there IS a market for PDK GT3, as I am sure there are folks who like to own a GT3 for bragging rights, who really don't race it heavily (I know a couple of those folks), and if Porsche marketing research finds there's a market, they will make it available maybe in GT3, and not in GT3 RS. This is all a guess!

Cheers!
I agree with so many of your points , however, I would challenge the thinking as it pertains to market wants and the GT3. Even if there is a market for PDK in the GT3 (I'm certain there is), it does not always mean a company like Porsche should build every car to that market want. An example of this would be making a convertible GT3. We know there is a market for convertible Porsche buyers, but realistically should a homologated GT3 really have a convertible option?

If the GT3 R/RSRs/Cups etc were built with PDK, then perhaps I could see that as an option in the street variant. But until then and much to my earlier posted opinion, the GT3/RS should continue to mirror the race version as much as it is feasibly possible.

So that I'm clear, the above is only my opinon and I'm not hating on the PDK or the convertible. I like them both and it is not my intnent to offend owners of cars equiped with either or both.

Now back to the GTS - has anyone seen any spy photos floating around or more specific details?
Old 06-03-2010, 08:40 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Clifton, GT3 RSR's ect do not not have a standard 6 speed either.....seqeuntial shift....no clutch on up shifting.

It will be intersting to see what Porsche does with the GT1 engine and if they use the 9A1 engines that accepts PDK in the GT3.

Quick Reply: Carrera GTS