Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:35 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Since I bought pre-owned, didn't order options... but looked for a few months for the right car with the right options... what I miss:

- PSE (adding soon)
- Adaptive Sport Seats
Old 04-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not buy my 997 new but if I did the only thing I would change is to go for ceramic brakes. I find the standard C2S brakes don't inspire much confidence even if they do look fabulous.

The brakes on my Mercedes are better than the 997 in my opinion.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:20 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
Bluetooth, XM, Nav, crests, rear wiper, blue int
Hey Stan, what about the yellow belts

Bought used and really, really happy with the package. I got lucky cause that's the way I would have ordered: PSE, Sport Seats, S PASM (not sure if this is part of SC), Bose, and some carbon bling (yeah I know, but it looks cool)... oh, and the yellow belts.

Only thing missing is the iPod adapter.

Funny, I was asked the same thing on a PCNA survey yesterday.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:39 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by REBor8
Oh, yeah, I would have ordered the sport chrono package with the delete option of not having the "pimple" on the dash. It's useless IMO and clutters a classic binnacle. I was ignorant and didn't know you could order it that way.

REbOr8,
I personally think 911s looks best in black , great whn clean and still very nice when seen from a distance e.g. when u see someone driving a 911s black

So that is why I am still debating between black and white exterior for 911s
Old 04-29-2010, 04:48 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

get black!!!!!
i like white also though
Old 04-29-2010, 05:02 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alfaguy2
I did not buy my 997 new but if I did the only thing I would change is to go for ceramic brakes. I find the standard C2S brakes don't inspire much confidence even if they do look fabulous.

The brakes on my Mercedes are better than the 997 in my opinion.
FYI, either your brakes are broken or you're just feeling something weird. The 997 S brakes are some of the best in the world on a stock car. Merc AMG cars are roughly as good as the 997 but otherwise Merc brakes are much worse.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...digest-feature

I couldn't tell how great our brakes really are until I did a skills day with the local PCA. Highly recommended as a way to find out how great these cars really are in a safe environment.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:08 PM
cbzzoom

I bought used and the only option I absolutely had to have was ***, would definitely get them again. If I ever did a custom order I would get :

rear seat delete
natural brown leather
paint to sample

I also might get a targa instead of a coupe Or maybe a GT3...
Old 04-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

I am sure the brakes are really powerful and are not broken - its just that at normal everyday speeds they feel a bit wooden and lack a satisfactory progressive feel.
I feel the same way about them as the writer of this review of the 997 does.

http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/articl...era-S&A=108650

The brakes look awe-inspiring – huge red calipers biting on huge discs inside the huge wheels.

But we didn’t like them.

We’ve no doubt the system is capable of hauling the car down from 300 km/h plus speeds, and on a hard brake from 160 km/h to 100 km/h they had plenty of stopping power. As of course you’d expect. But the pedal is wooden and has a complete lack of feel. A humble Falcon or Commodore has far better pedal progression (but then again that’s technically easier to achieve if high speeds are never met!) and in city traffic the Porsche pedal was like stepping on, um, the brake pedal of a car with seizing drum cylinders. Perhaps in normal use softer pads would help?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:30 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

That reviewer should try the Lamborghini Balboni....either that or stop wearing heavy Australian croc-hunting boots when driving.

Personally, I love the feel of the brakes and I find them very easy to modulate. The "pre-charge" feature that happens for sudden stops (comes with my 4S) did surprise me the first time I tried it, but was no issue after I got used to it.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If you prefer brakes with a strong initial "bite" the Porsche iron brakes can be unsettling. You do have to really mean it if you want to stop. The PCCBs have a sharp initial bite that creates the false impression that they're braking harder and stronger. At slow, parking lot speeds the difference is dramatic. At real car speeds it's not noticeable.

I really like the nuanced feel and progressive pedal of the iron brakes, though. They perform admirably on the street and on the track even with stock pads. I don't relate at all to the complaints that they lack feel -- that hasn't been my experience at all.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:53 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CBnAT
I saw this question posted on another forum and thought I'd ask here. If you were to order your car again what would you change, if anything?
1. Sport seat backs painted exterior color.
2. A few more interior leather bits.
3 Leave out the Bose audio system, which was a waste of money.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:57 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by Nugget
If you prefer brakes with a strong initial "bite" the Porsche iron brakes can be unsettling. You do have to really mean it if you want to stop. The PCCBs have a sharp initial bite that creates the false impression that they're braking harder and stronger. At slow, parking lot speeds the difference is dramatic. At real car speeds it's not noticeable.
Ah, yeah, okay that makes sense as a valid complaint. Personally I really like the way the Porsche iron brakes are - you can control how hard you stop very finely by how hard you push your foot. If they applied their full force all the time I would hurt your neck!

Carry on...
Old 04-29-2010, 06:20 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Would have preferred a slate gray, however the perfect car with all that I wanted, Plus, was black, at an incredible price!! Absolutely no other regrets!!
Old 04-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Delete sunroof, no wart but all-time chrono programming, black car next time (there's just something about a black car), run-flats that are ride & handel like PS2s, working clock, and lastly wish I had bought a Porsche when I was 18.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:33 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Driven many hiperf cars and Porsche brakes are at the top. That post really baffles me.

Quick Reply: What would you change?