"Widebody" Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 03:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
The tested car by Stig was 997.1 C4!
Then it is old. The 997.1 C4/C4S use an old viscous coupler, which was available 15 years ago on the the 993 C4. I know it well, as I had it on a 996 C4. The new electronically controlled multi-plate clutches used in the 997.2 C4/C4S are far more transparent, but, as Dan said, higher maintenance.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:24 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Please explain to me what the difference is between a "4WD" and an "AWD" car.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-wh...4WD_versus_AWD

Part time 4WD systems are therefore mechanically simpler, cheaper, and tougher than AWD systems, and inherently better at making use of available traction. Part time 4WD transfer cases are also usually equipped with a gear reduction setting that multiplies torque for greater power at lower speeds, a vital feature for vehicles that will see much off road use. The drawback is that because it lacks a center differential, a part time 4WD system can only be used in low traction situations where the wheels have the ability to slip as needed.

For these reasons, full time AWD is appropriate for improving on road handling and is seen on cars and car based crossover SUVs, while traditional part time 4WD systems without center differentials, or with locking center differentials, are better for heavy duty use, such as off roading or deep snow, and are commonly seen on trucks and truck based SUVs.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:59 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no doubt AWD is the wave of the future, especially if the HP war continues.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:08 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kosmo
no doubt AWD is the wave of the future, especially if the HP war continues.
I think there's a GREEN war that will conflict with HP war!
Old 04-30-2010, 04:39 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The tested car by Stig was 997.1 C4!
...on a rally course made out of loose dirt. It's hardly a surprise that the C4's better ability to gain traction played a significant role in its ability to earn an extra half second over the C2 in the laps on that Top Gear episode. I don't think it's meaningful in any general sense, though.

At least in my experience (which, yes, includes plenty of track time, but all of it on paved roads and not rally courses) the RWD cars are more fun, more nimble, and more rewarding to drive. I wouldn't trade the benefits of a"2" for the advantages of a "4." If I did someday decide I wanted an AWD car I probably wouldn't get a 911, either. As you point out, if you want AWD balanced goodness you'd probably be happier with an R8 or a GT-R.

Two sundays ago I put 100 track miles on my GT3 in the pouring rain and didn't once wish I had drive wheels up front. I was having too much fun. That's really what it's all about.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:54 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nugget
...on a rally course made out of loose dirt. It's hardly a surprise that the C4's better ability to gain traction played a significant role in its ability to earn an extra half second over the C2 in the laps on that Top Gear episode. I don't think it's meaningful in any general sense, though.
I can't really tell exactly from the video, but the course is paved, and NOT made out of loose dirt, although I see some dirt at off line portions...

Two sundays ago I put 100 track miles on my GT3 in the pouring rain and didn't once wish I had drive wheels up front. I was having too much fun. That's really what it's all about.
Definitely more fun!

When I had my Audi... in our group we had many super fast cars, GT3 RS, GT3, Ferrari, etc... they mostly kicked my a$$ in dry... BUT, I always made a fool out of them in the rain. Was probably the only car (apart from Subarus) that wished for the rain! ... not as much fun, maybe, but definitely faster in the rain!
Old 04-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

When I had my Audi... in our group we had many super fast cars, GT3 RS, GT3, Ferrari, etc... they mostly kicked my a$$ in dry... BUT, I always made a fool out of them in the rain. Was probably the only car (apart from Subarus) that wished for the rain! ... not as much fun, maybe, but definitely faster in the rain!
That's not surprising. I would expect this in the novice and intermediate level run groups where drivers have significantly less experience with wet driving and intentional slip. In the expert run groups you may find that AWD is less of a competitive advantage, even in the wet.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:35 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

No need to squint, May's narration explicitly says that it was a course constructed "on the pitch." It was a rally course on a rugby field, not a paved track.

That's not surprising. I would expect this in the novice and intermediate level run groups where drivers have significantly less experience with wet driving and intentional slip. In the expert run groups you may find that AWD is less of a competitive advantage, even in the wet.
I am in Advanced group. Only instructors group is higher. AWD is an advantage at any level... albeit I agree, less of an advantage versus pure race drivers. Intentional slip is still a slip... losing traction, hence being slower!

Even F1 drivers have a hard time controlling their cars in the rain... so when there's not enough traction in the rear, there's not enough traction!

Anyways we're going in circles... RWD and AWD both have different advantages and benefits, where RWD has the upper hand in dry and AWD in wet, in most cases. At the end, as someone else said, some are AWD people and some RWD.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

I am in Advanced group. Only instructors group is higher.
Ah, I guess I inferred too much from your other recent thread where you described yourself as a "Noobi." Sorry.

Agree we've sort of run this discussion to the end. Cheers.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:50 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Ah, I guess I inferred too much from your other recent thread where you described yourself as a "Noobi." Sorry.

Agree we've sort of run this discussion to the end. Cheers.
Hope we're not gonna make it personal now!

Noobie 911, only tracked it once, it's got a totally different handling characteristic than Audi, front heavy car!
Old 04-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Yes! Let's make all this personal!
Old 04-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

I wasn't trying to make it personal
Old 04-30-2010, 08:31 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I wasn't trying to make it personal
So, let's make it... what's up with Nuggets avatar?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Nothing exciting, honestly.

I was a scrawny, 80lb, ten year old in elementary school when McDonald's introduced the "Chicken McNugget." My last name is McNett.

It took my classmates about three nanoseconds to make the aural connection between "McNett" and "McNugget" and that was the end of that story. Sometimes you just have to sway with the wind and accept what life delivers. I embraced the nickname that wasn't going to go away and I've been "McNugget" (later shortened to just "Nugget") ever since.

I don't even like the things. I'm more of a Chick-Fil-A guy.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:11 PM
djlod
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WHAMspeed
Hey guys,

Business is good and I have started shopping for my 997 (well, actually I've been shopping my entire life, but now it's a reality). I have had several pcars over the years but this will be my first 911. I am looking to buy an 06-07 C2 or C2S

I have been reviewing the 997 forum for several weeks and plan to take my time and get exactly what I want. I occasionally notice posts that mention "widebody". What does this mean? I went to Porsche.com and looked at the specs for the C2, C2S, C4, C4S, & TT. They all have the same body width with the exception of the TT at 71.18 inches the TT being 72.91 inches. And I assume the widest part on the 997 is at the rear fenders. So again, what does widebody mean? Is this just in reference to a TT, is there some type of factory package available, what am I missing?

My apologies if this question seems elementary, I'm just trying to get some clarity. Thanks.
Here's a good thread with info on widebodies.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...idebodies.html

Quick Reply: "Widebody" Question