Seat airbag removal and other Qs

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:45 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Seat airbag removal and other Qs

I am planning on putting Cayman (same as 997's) seats in my 993 and have a question. How does one remove airbags from the standard comfort seats? Is there a cover plate available for when airbag is removed?

On a related note, does anyone have a good diagram on how the seats are connected power-wise? Where would I get a mating connector? Any trick to heat switches? i know they are installed in the dash, I'm planning to relocate them and probably use different switches as I do not have the originals.

Any and all info on the seats would be great!

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:22 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone? Anybody? Bueller?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:23 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why are you removing the air bags? Won't they leave a big ugly hole in side?

As for mating electrical connections, have you tried a dismantler? They should have lots of wrecked cars and no use for that type of part. Either that, or custom wire it (using fuses ofcourse). As long as you get power to them you will be fine I'm sure.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:10 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, art911.

I am looking for a wiring diagram so I can wire them, if I find mating connectors, great. If not, I'll just splice in. My concern is the heater switches. I'd like to see if there's anything special about them in a 997.

As far as side airbag... I was hoping that there is some cover plate available for seats without the bag. Were there any bagless 997 seats?
Old 05-01-2010, 04:04 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, does anyone have any info on the big connector for these seats or any knowledge where one can be bought? Junkyards are not eager to cut harnesses, unfortunately.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:54 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you can get the ends individually, you're probably best off using some basic connectors. The wires should all be fused. You're probably safe using an ignition on power source to tap into. You've only got the heat and seat adjustment power right? The remainder of the wires on the seats will be for the SRS and air bags and won't help.

As for block off plates, I don't think you'll find any. All 997 and 987 cars used thorax air bags to the best of my knowledge. Why take them out anyway?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:56 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

The driver's seat I have is from the car with memory seats. Based on my research, I will either need to find non-memory switches or re-wire the switches for memory seat (not trivial, requires internal cutting and re-soldering of the switch board). So far nobody seems to have figured out how to make the memory seats work due to the whole thing being controlled by a computer box whose specifics are unclear.

I'm simply trying to get the three motors, lumbar and heat to work, yes. So would anyone have a non-memory switch board for the driver's seat?

One more question that came up. Of teh three motors on he bottom of the seat, what function is the middle motor responsible for?

Quick Reply: Seat airbag removal and other Qs