Why so cheap? (Price check)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:30 AM
yasuro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this look familiar?: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

on a lark i sent an email and got this in reply:

Hello Yasuro, and thank you for showing interest in my 2009 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S PDK!
The general condition of the car is excellent, very well maintained, no damages, no mechanical problems and no electrical issues. It has a clear title free of any liens or loans and a clean carfax, free of accidents. The car has only 51,865 mileage and the final price is $28,400. Because of my divorce settlement, I own this car and as a woman without driver's license I don't need it so I'm trying to get rid of it as soon as possible. Here is the VIN# WP0AB29909S721982 (with this number you can find everything about the car). Please tell me what other information would you be interested in and I will try and provide it to you.

Thank you,
Marcy

of course a cursory check of the VIN shows it as being in at least 4 different dealers in multiple states.

i replied that i live near the seller and would love to come by and inspect it. i expect "her" to go silent.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:55 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

That vin appears to be a real car. It's obviously appropriated from somewhere (along with pics). I wonder if the owner the car with this vin knows anything about this. does someone have access to a system where they can run the vin and find the real owner?
Old 11-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Just to finish this up...

I received an email back from the seller. It's got many of the hallmarks of a scam, right down to the patented poor command of the english language. See below:

"Hi there,

First of all thank you for your interest. The car is in perfect order, clear carfax, no accidents, no maintenance needed for the following months. I have to tell you that I moved to Europe (England) and I shipped the car here not knowing that the customs, insurance and road tax will be so expensive here. I will arrange shipping back to the US and I will allow 5 days for inspection once you receive the car. It is still titled in the US, you will not be liable of any import taxes.
If the distance is not an issue we can move forward. I will go down with the price only for a quick cash deal.
Let me know if you need more details on the car.

All the best,
Lukas Warden"

All the best, indeed...

- Mike
Whenever the sales pitch contains more words on the circumstances of the reason the car's for sale, where the car is located and why, how it will be delivered, what time limit there is to buy the car, payment instruction and so on than the words that describe the car proper, its condition, options, history, etc, SCAM!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:32 PM
equ
Racer

There is always some overly cheap too good to be true scam on most makes/brands of cars... Autotrader, cars.com, craigslist, you name it. And if you have an ad out, you get a lot of spambot interest.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:11 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I did a google search using the first ten words in the cars.com description. Viola! The car is actually being sold by a dealer in Fremont CA for $62,888. The search was helped by misspelling of Arctic (Artic) in both ads.

Here's the link to the real dealer: http://www.carweek.com/dealer_listin...fiedOnly=False
Old 11-07-2011, 11:08 PM
yasuro
Pro

more follow up:

Hello again Yasuro,
Please give me a little time to explain you the process of this transaction,
As I told you in my first email, I divorced, I got a new job and moved to Sleepy Hollow, IL. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with Escrow so my presence isn't necessary. The car is located in Sleepy Hollow, at the shipping company, ready to be delivered. The car will arrive at your address in 3-5 working days. The shipping cost is included in the total price of the car! You will have 7 days to test it and inspect the car prior to make any purchase. So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you:
full name and address
phone #
After I will have all this details I will forward them to Escrow and I will proceed this transaction. Escrow will contact you with all the details that you need to complete this deal and also to see that I am covered by them and that I am legit seller. Waiting your email with the requested details.
Thank you

the ad clearly stated the car was in bloomfield hills, mi so the story doesn't check out from the get go. of course the price was a clear signal as well. i've noticed a number of these ads on cars.com but not on autotrader, but ymmv.

i replied with the following:

"Marcy", or whatever your name really is.

I found this http://www.carweek.com/dealer_listin...fiedOnly=False

Clearly you have stolen the VIN number and photos from a real dealer
and are attempting an internet scam. A quick phone call to the dealer
shows that they are the legitimate sellers. They've seen your ad on
cars.com and will act accordingly.

of course i also sent a notice to cars.com so hopefully they'll pull the ad.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:58 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
I did a google search using the first ten words in the cars.com description. Viola! The car is actually being sold by a dealer in Fremont CA for $62,888. The search was helped by misspelling of Arctic (Artic) in both ads.
It's a terrible affliction......
Old 11-08-2011, 07:15 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
It's a terrible affliction......
Ha-Ha! Perhaps I was inexplicably exclaiming the name of the violin-like musical instrument the viola? No?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:25 PM
DDL24
Instructor

I just came accross something like this, except I am on the other side.....the buyer wants to do the smae, paypal info, shipping company will pick up the car...etc. My reply was that if he were to buy the car at my ask price, i can throw in the Brooklyn Bridge for free.....never heard back.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Todds911
Instructor

I listed my 2004 MB E500 on Craigslist.

I immediately got "Hi, I'm interested in your car, is it still for sale" from about 10 different responders. Of course, they were all scamsters upon follow up emails from them. Always out of country, or in the military, etc.

I actuall got one legitimate response - a guy who only responded with one number - which was an offer for 60% of my asking price.

What a different world it is today from when I was a kid!
Old 11-10-2011, 10:21 AM
equ
Racer

I've sold some road bikes on craigslist. The trick that I use is to write out in the ad that the responder put "one nice raleigh" or some such thing in the subject line. I never put my phone number. This weeds out the spambots for now (until they get smart enough which will be a while). Though, to be fair, on occasion, there have been some real people who've been so ADD-afflicted that they couldn't follow these simple instructions.

Quick Reply: Why so cheap? (Price check)