tourbillon001
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 458 is a bit ugly for my taste
Old 04-26-2010, 10:57 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will see the 458 this week. I can only hope it looks good in person. Not since the 355 have i've been exicted about a V8 F.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:50 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

The f458 is stunning.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:12 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A very close friend bought a California. A black one, beautiful car!! The details are amazing!! Took it out for a little drive, and while there is NOTHING like the sound of a Ferrari it just didn't impress me the way I thought it would. Don't get me wrong, one of the most beautiful cars out there. You really do need to see this thing in person. But driving, not so much..
Old 04-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pbarch1
The details are amazing!! .
My opinion... and my opinion only... but I couldn't disagree more. The details on the California are what really throws the car off.

The "jewelry" in the headlights appears cheaps, the tailights are a mess, and the rear end is just frumpy.

Ferrari has made some stunningly beautiful cars... some even with the California name... but this latest car aint one of them.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nyca

The 458 is instantly recognizable as a Ferrari:

Again, my opinion but I don't agree with this statement either. The new 458 is a very good looking car but to my mind's eye it looks an awful lot like the still born replacement for the Honda/Acura NSX... the HSC
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2010, 07:31 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
I don't ever see myself owning an F car but I love the way most of them look and sound.

Having said that, I can not stand the look of the new California. I think it's horrible.

And you can count me among the vocal minority that think it's a travesty that Ferrari is abandoning the traditional manual transmission.
I agree 100%, my F has to have a manual. However, in Ferrari's case, most of their buyers are drivers that have little inclination to change their own gears. In addition,
Ferrari is also probably their race technology
to make their buyers feel like they are driving an F1 type car.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:10 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Have seen many F cali's around here, it's not great looking....the problem with any hardtop convertible is always the height of the rear deck and the awkward body line necessary for the top to be stowed and the trunk to open backwards. those tailpipes are awful! the 458 is hot tho.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ill have pics inside 458 here next week, local dealer bringing one in to see.. im excited
Old 04-27-2010, 07:07 PM
RonnieTheC
Advanced

Originally Posted by russo
I agree 100%, my F has to have a manual. However, in Ferrari's case, most of their buyers are drivers that have little inclination to change their own gears. In addition,
Ferrari is also probably their race technology
to make their buyers feel like they are driving an F1 type car.

You are off base on this. I have a great many friends that own and have owned Ferrars for quite some time and they all love changing gears. Keep in mind that when the gated manual shifter was the only option, F-car owners really enjoyed the gate. But the F1 technology is so advanced that at this point in time, less that 5% of all new Ferrai owners wanted a manual. This is why Ferrari has discontinued the manual after the F430. There is an automatic mode on the F1 and dual clutch trannys, but no one uses it. I just love a manual. On my 360 I had one and on my F430 I had F1. And I can tell you from one that really loves 3 pedals, on a Ferrari the F1 is the way to go. It is a completely different experience that that offered by Porsche in the 2010 Turbo.
The new double clutch F1 on the California and 458 is the best tranny in any production car on the planet. Drive one and see what I mean.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:42 PM
REBor8
Advanced

Originally Posted by RonnieTheC
You are off base on this. I have a great many friends that own and have owned Ferrars for quite some time and they all love changing gears. Keep in mind that when the gated manual shifter was the only option, F-car owners really enjoyed the gate. But the F1 technology is so advanced that at this point in time, less that 5% of all new Ferrai owners wanted a manual. This is why Ferrari has discontinued the manual after the F430. There is an automatic mode on the F1 and dual clutch trannys, but no one uses it. I just love a manual. On my 360 I had one and on my F430 I had F1. And I can tell you from one that really loves 3 pedals, on a Ferrari the F1 is the way to go. It is a completely different experience that that offered by Porsche in the 2010 Turbo.
The new double clutch F1 on the California and 458 is the best tranny in any production car on the planet. Drive one and see what I mean.
I have driven one, and I can't stand having a computer do my shifting for me. Even when I drive PDK p-cars, I leave it in "D" and enjoy the ride. This to me is not driving, it's steering. If I wanted this type of experience, I'd just buy a computer game. This is only my opinion but, give me three pedals, not two in any sports car.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

I haven't driven the F1 in the 458 yet but I have driven the version in the California.

While I whole heartedly concur that the new F1 gearbox is light years ahead of the clunky, clattery F1 gearbox that Ferrari used to put forth... I'm not sure if I agree with you.

Granted you have to spend the $ to get proper paddles but the PDK, IMO, is a superior gearbox to the F1 tranny I tried in the California. Shifts are quicker, smoother and when left in automatic mode... the PDK is more intuitive.

Plus (and note my earlier comment that Ferrari auto manual gearboxes have come a long way) my guess is that the PDK will be a no maintenance tranny whereas Ferrari F1 boxes are notoriously expensive to maintain.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:14 PM
RonnieTheC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
I haven't driven the F1 in the 458 yet but I have driven the version in the California.

While I whole heartedly concur that the new F1 gearbox is light years ahead of the clunky, clattery F1 gearbox that Ferrari used to put forth... I'm not sure if I agree with you.

Granted you have to spend the $ to get proper paddles but the PDK, IMO, is a superior gearbox to the F1 tranny I tried in the California. Shifts are quicker, smoother and when left in automatic mode... the PDK is more intuitive.

Plus (and note my earlier comment that Ferrari auto manual gearboxes have come a long way) my guess is that the PDK will be a no maintenance tranny whereas Ferrari F1 boxes are notoriously expensive to maintain.

The new F1 dual clutch is sealed and is a lifetime clutch. Furthermore, I have driven the 2010 turbo with PDK and paddles, and the California. As I said before, no comparison.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

As I said before, no comparison.
Your opinion.

I thought the California was absolute crap other than the way it sounds. But to each their own.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:58 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 124 Posts

Absolute crap???? I think that you're beginning to lose credibility.

Quick Reply: California Dreaming- Ferrari that is...