Sponsored by:

California Dreaming- Ferrari that is...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:28 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
I have driven the 360 and 430 in road conditions and was not overly impressed; however, a couple of weekends ago a friend of mine showed up at one of our events, of course I was his instructor. I drove his 360 F1 like it was my GT3 and I tell you I was extremely impressed at the capability of this car. He keeps asking me, I am Italian, how come I don't have one of these cars. I can only evade the question, since I don't want to offend him, I know that the Ferrari would be much more expensive and temperamental for track use. But, I tell you, the next addition will be either a 360 or a 430, mind you for leisure driving, little to no track use.
Totally agreed. I test drove a 430 on track, and after just ONE LAP, I FELL IN LOVE with it. It was the most exhilirating ride, incredible noise, super balance, incredible handling, and just gorgous inside/out. It truly is something else.

Now, can I see myself using 430 as daily? or risk the maintenance charges that might bankrupt me is another story!

Our local club president said it perfectly:

Porsche's like your wife, dependable, supportive, not too expensive (while still costs you some!), is there for you in all situations, and will forgive you if you made *small* mistakes... Ferrari on the other hand is like that that gorgous, high maintenance, very expensive, 20some year old girlfriend you have occasional affairs with, exhilirating and intoxicating for a weekend, trouble and expensive in the long-run!
Old 04-24-2010, 11:54 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't ever see myself owning an F car but I love the way most of them look and sound.

Having said that, I can not stand the look of the new California. I think it's horrible.

And you can count me among the vocal minority that think it's a travesty that Ferrari is abandoning the traditional manual transmission.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:01 AM
nyca
Drifting

Received 923 Likes on 518 Posts

indeed, the California looks too much like an Infiniti - its not instantly recognizable as a Ferrari.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:19 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Test drove the Cali last year. Yes, it sounds nice, interior is well made, fast but not too fast.

I was actually bored by the F1 transmission after 10 minutes, then just switched back to automatic and drove back to dealer.

My short drive is not representative of anything, but I will not buy it over my RS even if it is cheaper.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:28 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
indeed, the California looks too much like an Infiniti - its not instantly recognizable as a Ferrari.
side note, this has never happened to me before and more than likely will not happen again, but when i test drove the california, was on the highway coming to an exit when a girl in a buick (guy driving) both around 18-23.. girl rolls window down... sticks upper torso out of car and yells "I F%^$ING LOVE YOUR CAR!" and proceeds to flash her breasts at me (which were quite nice).

maybe considering she was in a buick, she thought it was an infiniti.. was a very interesting test drive.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:35 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
I was lucky enough to test drive a Ferrari California today. I've always thought that if I was lucky enough to win a lottery someday, I would stop at a Ferrari dealership on the way home from picking up the check.
We're on the same wavelength here. I just got an invite to test drive a Ferrari California at Infineon Raceway. I've been lucky enough with everything else in life that a winning lotto ticket was never out of the question. I told my wife she'd know we won because I'd buy whatever 993 turbo they had at Cars Dawydiak and pick her up that day with it.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:59 AM
tourbillon001
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This happened to me in the lambo once

Originally Posted by rijowysock
side note, this has never happened to me before and more than likely will not happen again, but when i test drove the california, was on the highway coming to an exit when a girl in a buick (guy driving) both around 18-23.. girl rolls window down... sticks upper torso out of car and yells "I F%^$ING LOVE YOUR CAR!" and proceeds to flash her breasts at me (which were quite nice).

I drove the Cali when it first came out and I must say it was not my cup of tea. if felt like something that was designed for Ferrari owners wives, because it was. It did not scream, the speed was very refined, and the trans was just too smooth. I was not their target audience so I accept the car for what it is, but as a young guy it did nothing for me.

maybe considering she was in a buick, she thought it was an infiniti.. was a very interesting test drive.
Now a scud, that works for me
Old 04-25-2010, 02:35 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Totally agreed. I test drove a 430 on track, and after just ONE LAP, I FELL IN LOVE with it. It was the most exhilirating ride, incredible noise, super balance, incredible handling, and just gorgous inside/out. It truly is something else.

Now, can I see myself using 430 as daily? or risk the maintenance charges that might bankrupt me is another story!

Our local club president said it perfectly:
Priceless but very true!Quote:
Porsche's like your wife, dependable, supportive, not too expensive (while still costs you some!), is there for you in all situations, and will forgive you if you made *small* mistakes... Ferrari on the other hand is like that that gorgous, high maintenance, very expensive, 20some year old girlfriend you have occasional affairs with, exhilirating and intoxicating for a weekend, trouble and expensive in the long-run!
Old 04-25-2010, 05:16 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock

I am sure they didn't flash to an Infiniti!

As for nyca comments, comparing Ferrari California to Infiniti, for the lack of a better word, is just STUPID!
Old 04-25-2010, 12:16 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not to crazy about the generic (dare I say "trendy!?") styling of this car either. Of course these are only pictures (gotta see the real thing to be fair).
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2010, 01:13 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take (buy) a 430 any day. The styling of this car is out of character for a Ferrari. They probably did not want this entry level vehicle cannibalizing the sales of their more expensive cars.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:44 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

california looks like pure hotness to me!!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:50 PM
nyca
Drifting

What looks like the 458? Nothing.

That's where the California fails - its not instantly recognizable as a Ferrari. I am sure its a great car, I am just commenting on the styling.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:53 PM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not buying the Infiniti similarity... The only real similarity between the cars posted is the color...

(edit - nyca now seems to have taken the car he posted out of his post)
Old 04-26-2010, 01:06 AM
nyca
Drifting

same basic shape, front lights, etc.

The 458 is instantly recognizable as a Ferrari:

Quick Reply: California Dreaming- Ferrari that is...