Sponsored by:

Commute

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:11 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
3b for me. You like the '88 Porche, and the 335d is a great car. You will have the Porsche for whenever it strikes your fancy and the BMW for the commute. Mind you, the 335d is quite a car.

What he said.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:15 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by winkingchef
IMHO, the Merc 550 is way too expensive for a commuter car.
Unless you need a top brand car for "status" or whatever (e.g. you're in sales), I would highly suggest you test drive the newest model GTI - it's quite the car and 1/2 the price of the other things you mentioned.
+1
Old 04-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i love my 997.2, id suggest it.. put 11k on mine in 7 months and never had a problem.. i get chronic migraines and even with gundo hack and fabspeed X pipe its quiet as a mouse on the highway and daily driving.. only gets loud when you get on it and even then its fine.

mpg on highway i average around 30, city around 17, aggressive driving down to 11/12.

if your worried about appearances, get a dark color... people will think its an 05/etc anyways... the only comments i get from day to day are "is that a turbo" and when i reply no.. they look at me like im poor white trash that couldnt afford the turbo... most people dont even know the difference between years and would think its older than it is anyways.
Some people may not even notice the car. I was showing my arctic silver 03 Turbo to a guy at work the other and one of the business's owners saw us and walked over.

He looked closer at the car then said: "Porsche? I thought it was a new Nissan.".

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:08 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by winkingchef
IMHO, the Merc 550 is way too expensive for a commuter car.
Unless you need a top brand car for "status" or whatever (e.g. you're in sales), I would highly suggest you test drive the newest model GTI - it's quite the car and 1/2 the price of the other things you mentioned.
If it is strictly a commuter car and not a DD, then ok, it could be too rich for some peoples blood. I use mine as a commuter and my DD everywhere I go, unless on family outings w/ the Escalade and of course toy time w/ the 911.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:25 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mac--
I undersand the Arctic Silver Porsche not being noticed. Silver has become a very plain generic color, and it seems that most 350z's and 370Z's are in silver, hence the Nissan comment
Old 04-27-2010, 02:50 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i used my 997 as a DD but i kept my W210 E55 for long highway (read: boring) trips. i am so glad i did.

you can get a nice 2000-2001 E55 for less than $15k, probably about $10k. you'll still get safety, style and fun. of course, this is a 10 year old car, but they're bulletproof and cheap.

of course, the other suggestions like getting a GTI or diesel are very strong.

with all that time in the car, i'd want comfort, low noise, and occasional neck-snapping power - which is why i've had so much fine with my AMG.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:03 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

I commute 3 x a week in mine.

100 miles highway roundtrip

Breaks up the boredom.

10 years from now what would you rather have had:

100K miles of fun driving

or

a grarge queen that you are going to pass on for someone else to enjoy
Old 04-27-2010, 04:23 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

I think that my 997.2 is dynamite and comfortable on the highway also, so I don't view that as "wasting" miles.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Option 3 and I'd choose the A3 TDI, although I'd also consider a VW GTI as an alternative.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by David911
a. Audi A3 TDI – Most inexpensive, best MPG. No manual transmission available.
I've been complaining to Audi USA about this nonsense already. I can get a 5 door Golf with TDI and a 5 spd but for some reason, if I want the nicer styling of the Audi (the latest generation Golfs are just fugly in my book), I need to go to brain-dead auto transmission in the TDI or buy a gas engine. Seems stupid.

I also asked about the AWD option combo, and Audi USA thought the price of TDI and AWD would be too expensive and no one would buy it (or not enough to justify whatever it takes to get that combination approved for import into the US).

Buying cars would be so less painful if we didn't have to deal with the stupid US subsidiaries we need to run through to get our cars. Argh!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:21 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was also looking for a second car a couple of months ago. After a couple of test drives, I realized nothing came close to the feeling of a 911. Nothing. All the other sporty cars also came with their own compromises. So I gave up on the idea of a sporty sedan or hatchback and went with an off-roader.

If you're going to be stuck with this commute for a while, I would buy a comfortable and luxurious car. Perhaps something different, like an Infiniti G or a Jag?
Old 04-27-2010, 07:26 PM
nicoff
Racer

Originally Posted by David911
I am reaching out to you Car Guys with a dilemma.

I have a 1988 Carrera coupe, which I like a lot. I have upgraded the engine, suspension and A/C. I have driven it about 5000 miles a year for the last 8 years.

I now have a job that will require me to commute 120 miles a day, 3-5 days a week . This drive is completely straight interstate – maybe a dozen turns the entire trip, and most of those have traffic lights. Not exactly a sports car’s dream drive. Of course, the ’88 is not the quietest/most comfortable car out there. I am also a bit concerned about the lack of antilock/air bags – not really an issue when I was just using it for fun, but more of an issue as a commuter.
I am not sure what to do. I see the following options.

1) Sell the 1988 and buy a 997.2. This gives me a more comfortable, safer drive and a new Porsche! The disadvantages are:
a. Getting a newish Porsche soon after a new job is a bit of an image problem
b. I won’t be able to use the great handling of the car on a daily basis
c. The 997 is still relatively loud
d. Driving this much might “use up” the value of the car very quickly
e. I have to sell my ’88 (I only have one garage space)
2) Keep the 1988 and drive it. Comfort is for wimps, and the safety systems are likely never to be an issue

3) Keep the 1988 and buy a commuter car. I am not interested in a real cheap beater – I will be spending a couple of hours a day in the car, and I want to enjoy myself. I would want a “car guy” car – not a car that is driven by people who just want a “nice” car and could care less about cars in general. The possibilities I have been thinking about are:
a. Audi A3 TDI – Most inexpensive, best MPG. No manual transmission available.
b. BMW 335d – Sportier, good MPG though I don’t need a sedan. No manual transmission available.
c. Mercedes E350/E550 Coupe. Less good mileage. Coupe. No manual transmission available.
d. Audi S5 – Coupe, manual transmission, reasonably crappy MPG
So, which option would you recommend? If Option 3, which car or are there other cars I should consider?

Opinions wanted (and I know they are worth what I paid for them)
Option 3 is your best choice, but get a car/SUV that is super-comfortable plus it has newest safety features and amenities, latest electronics, plenty of room etc. Your commute car should NOT be a sporty car; it should be (first and foremost) a VERY comfortable car/SUV. FWIW, my commute "car" is a LandCruiser. An extra benefit: after driving an SUV all week, you will appreciate your P-car even more on weekends!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:00 PM
911FM
Racer

Originally Posted by Alstoy
3b for me. You like the '88 Porche, and the 335d is a great car. You will have the Porsche for whenever it strikes your fancy and the BMW for the commute. Mind you, the 335d is quite a car.
+2

FM
Old 04-28-2010, 12:45 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 09' C4S PDK with Sport buckets is my DD, and will average 27k mi/yr. In my opinion...the perfect DD, and I do veterinary house calls!.. suburban and semi rural. I love it...keeps everyone guessin! I babied my 1993GTS, worrying all of the time while my DD was an 05 Excursion limited turbodiesel...sold both for an 06 Cayenne V6 6speed manual...traded for an 06 Cayenne Turbo...and moved to my C4S after putting 87K mi on the Turbo...Everyone here says " Drive it"
...so thats what I'm doing...apparently not "fast enough" as per this forum... but I'm learning. Bottom line...I'm lovin every minute. Screw resale worries...I'm as **** as can be about maintenence and when I decide to move on...I will sell or trade an impeccably maintained 977.2 ,...(greatly influenced by great deals on model year left-over closeouts!!! LOL!
Old 04-28-2010, 01:00 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It isn't clear what the OP is looking for and a lot of the opinions being discussed are all over the map. Are you just looking for a comfortable, safe, 2-door commute car? Are you looking for comfort, MPG, low road noise, etc.?

I am not sure how we can compare a Golf and an E-class Benz in the same sentence!

Personally, if the traffic is not stop-and-go, I would use my 911. I got it to drive it! In fact, in a few weeks, I'm going to a work conference in Las Vegas and I opted to do the 4-hour drive there instead of taking the 1-hour flight. I absolutely can't wait to take a detour through the Mohaje desert!

But if you want a sedan, I would spend $20k and buy a 2001 M5 with less than 50k miles on it, which will last you for another 100k and will keep the smile on your face.

Decisions decisions!

Later,

-T

Quick Reply: Commute