Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Commute

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Michael T
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Don't get a 997 for all the miles you would put on it. If you like your 1988, which I think will be sure to appreciate, I would buy a new or lightly used VW Gti. My 997 is at the dealer for a new ignition lock and I have been driving my son's Gti, the last few days. I recommend you test drive one, it is a great value and the direct injection turbo has great throttle response and outstanding mileage.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:28 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I second the recommendation on the GTi.
I have had one as my DD for years (100mi round trip daily) and have genuine affection for the plucky car.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:32 PM
David911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I decided I definitely did not want to drive my old 911 into the ground commuting, and that a 997 ultimately did not make sense for a no turn 60 mile drive.

That leaves getting a new car for the drive. Here are my test drive impressions:
BMW 328i Coupe - Fun, but too sporty for this drive. Might as well get a Porsche
Lexus GS 350 - Vague steering, not my cup of tea
Lexus ISC - F Sport edition. Surprisingly good and quiet, but I don't want a convertible
Audi A3 - Pretty OK, basic transportation. Seems like a lot of $ for what it is.
Audi S5 - Nice coupe. Quiet, Comfortable, Fast, available manual transmission. I like it.
MB E550 Coupe. Nice coupe. Less sporty than the Audi. More comfortable.

I am seriously leaning toward the E550. For some reason, I want a coupe, not a sedan, and I want luxury more than sport. This is definitely not how I normally think of cars, which makes the decision difficult.

I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:31 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an E350 for commute, which can sometimes be 200 miles in one day (2x week), its very smooth, almost soothing, gets up to 29MPG on the highway which can be good on an otherwise busy work day.

I'd save the horsepower for the Porsche. I find I enjoy my Porsche more on the off days because I don't grind it on long commutes. On occasion I take the Porsche on the long commute to stir it up.

John
Old 04-26-2010, 09:03 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by David911
I decided I definitely did not want to drive my old 911 into the ground commuting, and that a 997 ultimately did not make sense for a no turn 60 mile drive.

That leaves getting a new car for the drive. Here are my test drive impressions:
BMW 328i Coupe - Fun, but too sporty for this drive. Might as well get a Porsche
Lexus GS 350 - Vague steering, not my cup of tea
Lexus ISC - F Sport edition. Surprisingly good and quiet, but I don't want a convertible
Audi A3 - Pretty OK, basic transportation. Seems like a lot of $ for what it is.
Audi S5 - Nice coupe. Quiet, Comfortable, Fast, available manual transmission. I like it.

Wise decision... IMO, get the cheapest most fun car now, and get a 997 for weekends, DE, etc... later!

About the above choices, how do you consider 328 too sporty and not S5? E550 much bigger car than the rest, and your options above are quite different in pricing so not sure how to compare them fairly.

One thing about A3, I really like A3, and would pick one up for daily commuter... but a better value is VW GTI! Same platform, just as much luxury, and definitely won't make you get noticed at work. Great MPG, lost of Torque, sporty suspesnion and brakes, and lots of utility with the hatch... definitely test drive one!

Good luck!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:55 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I am seriously leaning toward the E550. For some reason, I want a coupe, not a sedan, and I want luxury more than sport. This is definitely not how I normally think of cars, which makes the decision difficult.

You're welcome, David. Interestingly, you seem to have settled on the two that got my attention before I tried a PASM example and decided we could still enjoy a Porsche at our age. (The non-PASM examples were entirely too harsh for us.)

I like the E550 as well. Nothing definitive but in comparison to the S5 I was put off by the Audi factory's handing of a recent-model problem with front wheel shimmy.

In comparison with the E350... Well, the E350 is the logical choice, innit? Better fuel economy, enough power for the job of commuting... very logical. The E550 is not. It says to others and myself: I don't have to buy the wimpy logical model. So I was about to choose the E550 before the Auto Gallery persuaded me to test drive a 997.2S with the current-generation suspension.

Besides all that, when driven by an intelligent enthusiast, I doubt the in-traffic fuel consumption of a 550 will be significantly different from a 350.

Gary
Old 04-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Check out the GTI or Golf TDI
Old 04-26-2010, 10:15 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

I am reaching out to you Car Guys with a dilemma.

I have a 1988 Carrera coupe, which I like a lot. I have upgraded the engine, suspension and A/C. I have driven it about 5000 miles a year for the last 8 years.

I now have a job that will require me to commute 120 miles a day, 3-5 days a week . This drive is completely straight interstate – maybe a dozen turns the entire trip, and most of those have traffic lights. Not exactly a sports car’s dream drive. Of course, the ’88 is not the quietest/most comfortable car out there. I am also a bit concerned about the lack of antilock/air bags – not really an issue when I was just using it for fun, but more of an issue as a commuter.
I am not sure what to do. I see the following options.

1) Sell the 1988 and buy a 997.2. This gives me a more comfortable, safer drive and a new Porsche! The disadvantages are:
a. Getting a newish Porsche soon after a new job is a bit of an image problem
b. I won’t be able to use the great handling of the car on a daily basis
c. The 997 is still relatively loud
d. Driving this much might “use up” the value of the car very quickly
e. I have to sell my ’88 (I only have one garage space)
2) Keep the 1988 and drive it. Comfort is for wimps, and the safety systems are likely never to be an issue

3) Keep the 1988 and buy a commuter car. I am not interested in a real cheap beater – I will be spending a couple of hours a day in the car, and I want to enjoy myself. I would want a “car guy” car – not a car that is driven by people who just want a “nice” car and could care less about cars in general. The possibilities I have been thinking about are:
a. Audi A3 TDI – Most inexpensive, best MPG. No manual transmission available.
b. BMW 335d – Sportier, good MPG though I don’t need a sedan. No manual transmission available.
c. Mercedes E350/E550 Coupe. Less good mileage. Coupe. No manual transmission available.
d. Audi S5 – Coupe, manual transmission, reasonably crappy MPG
So, which option would you recommend? If Option 3, which car or are there other cars I should consider?

Opinions wanted (and I know they are worth what I paid for them)
If you cherish your 88' then go w/ the new E class. I have a 10' E550 4matic as my DD and love it! I also drove a 350 and It is also a fine machine. I am talking sedans here and they are awesome.
The power of the 550 is awesome and the mags say (in sports mode) its the best handling sedan Benz has ever put out other than an AMG.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:07 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am reaching out to you Car Guys with a dilemma.

I have a 1988 Carrera coupe, which I like a lot. I have upgraded the engine, suspension and A/C. I have driven it about 5000 miles a year for the last 8 years.

I now have a job that will require me to commute 120 miles a day, 3-5 days a week . This drive is completely straight interstate – maybe a dozen turns the entire trip, and most of those have traffic lights. Not exactly a sports car’s dream drive. Of course, the ’88 is not the quietest/most comfortable car out there. I am also a bit concerned about the lack of antilock/air bags – not really an issue when I was just using it for fun, but more of an issue as a commuter.
I am not sure what to do. I see the following options.

1) Sell the 1988 and buy a 997.2. This gives me a more comfortable, safer drive and a new Porsche! The disadvantages are:
a. Getting a newish Porsche soon after a new job is a bit of an image problem
b. I won’t be able to use the great handling of the car on a daily basis
c. The 997 is still relatively loud
d. Driving this much might “use up” the value of the car very quickly
e. I have to sell my ’88 (I only have one garage space)
2) Keep the 1988 and drive it. Comfort is for wimps, and the safety systems are likely never to be an issue

3) Keep the 1988 and buy a commuter car. I am not interested in a real cheap beater – I will be spending a couple of hours a day in the car, and I want to enjoy myself. I would want a “car guy” car – not a car that is driven by people who just want a “nice” car and could care less about cars in general. The possibilities I have been thinking about are:
a. Audi A3 TDI – Most inexpensive, best MPG. No manual transmission available.
b. BMW 335d – Sportier, good MPG though I don’t need a sedan. No manual transmission available.
c. Mercedes E350/E550 Coupe. Less good mileage. Coupe. No manual transmission available.
d. Audi S5 – Coupe, manual transmission, reasonably crappy MPG
So, which option would you recommend? If Option 3, which car or are there other cars I should consider?

Opinions wanted (and I know they are worth what I paid for them)

e. Keep your '88 and get a new VW Golf TDI instead of the A3. Use the extra thousands in depreciation and cash down you'd suffer on the Audi to buy some gas. Trust me when I'm saying there's little to no difference in quality or handling and a measurable advantage in space and price.

or

f. Keep your '88 and purchase a used 997 with the intention of putting serious miles on it. With someone else having eaten most of the depreciation, you can drive cheaply relative to your other options above and have a REAL sports car for your daily, not a sedan with two doors welded shut. Highway mpg is over 20 in my 997.1S, but tires will set you back a penny unless you find one with 18" wheels and put all-seasons on it for your commute. This option trumps b through d because it's cheaper, equivalent in performance, and gets better gas mileage compared to all your choices except the A3 and BMW.

Such a tough life, to have all these options. My 997 is my weekend car, and while my commute's almost as tough as yours I do most of it on a train. My trusty Passat Wagon carries me in comfort to and from the station, loaded to the gills and a decent handler (minus the "prestige" badge that I don't need). Shop a little south of your pay grade and you'll find a lot of great options.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:53 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3b for me. You like the '88 Porche, and the 335d is a great car. You will have the Porsche for whenever it strikes your fancy and the BMW for the commute. Mind you, the 335d is quite a car.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:03 AM
chbj
Advanced

Originally Posted by cbzzoom

BMW 135 - great power and comfort, very quiet nice ride, feels a lot smaller and more fun to drive than the 335
+1 ...

... but you will miss the 911 on your drive. Also, you need to get a new one. 2008 and 2009 models with the N54 engine have a lot of HPFP problems. I'm on my 3rd pump in 9000 miles.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:17 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chbj
+1 ...

... but you will miss the 911 on your drive. Also, you need to get a new one. 2008 and 2009 models with the N54 engine have a lot of HPFP problems. I'm on my 3rd pump in 9000 miles.
Don't know what you're talking about! I've only had to change the pump once!!!

-T
Old 04-27-2010, 12:52 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Commuter car. You can have lots of fun in something like a Mini Cooper S. A surprising amount of interior space too...

Piling boring commuting miles on a Porsche makes no sense.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:27 AM
akim47
Racer

i 2nd the vote for the Mini Cooper S. 170hp turbo, and u can pick up a slightly used one for $20K. 35mpg on the freeway. It will be such a cheap commute u can put the savings in the bank for the new porsche fun. I've been commuting in a Mini JCW and it's pretty fun (except driving the manual 6sp in stop and go socal traffic).
Old 04-27-2010, 10:57 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO, the Merc 550 is way too expensive for a commuter car.
Unless you need a top brand car for "status" or whatever (e.g. you're in sales), I would highly suggest you test drive the newest model GTI - it's quite the car and 1/2 the price of the other things you mentioned.

Quick Reply: Commute