Sponsored by:

Anyone planning a turbo install?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:24 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default lacking

also lacking the thirst to have a unique car..... always scratch my head when I see people claim to be such an enthusiast yet never track their car, don't know how to work on their car, keep their car bone stock etc... when someone just owns a car to own its more a status game IMO. Not saying that is you, just saying....

Originally Posted by agdamis
What am I missing here?

Porsche makes a turbo go buy it.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:26 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default unless

unless you swap the mods to your next car......assuming you stay 997 etc...something I may do down the road.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Another factor that seems to pass the OP by is that once you mod a 997 like that you will never be able to get your money out of it. The next owner will want an unmolested 997--not one with a questionable past.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:32 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I dont agree with this at all. There is NOT total sense in putting a turbo on it.
In my case the 997.2 PDK has almost 400 hp. My 993TT had 400 hp and not as quick
My 996 GT3 was slower than this C2S. The PDK has better Ring times than both of those cars.
Putting on the turbo puts everything in the motor at risk, over 25% increased power (if their numbers
are right) for what? Do you know how many people who track their cars can honestly use 525hp?
For that type of cost(10k) and that much risk to a component failure of the motor.
5% of people who track could use this power over 400hp could probably be better.

This Carrera C2S PDK is just about as perfect as you can get with sport or sport plus modes.
Just fantastic. No reason to blow up the motor. Its just not productive to chase these type
of speed fairies. This car is good enough for 99% of the sports car enthusiast.

Having said all that, I would like to know the difference between a 9A1 normally aspirated version
and the TT 9A1 verions outside of the turbos, intercoolers and associated exhaust parts.
TPC`s level of confidence about M97 engine`s durability is quite high.
They did a lot of crocs so far, so, I would not expect for any engine to blow up immediately. It would be naive to exclude possibility if the failure completely but based on amount of supercharged 997 cars out there and those caymans - they do run fine. For how long - who knows, but so far it seems that 4psi-6psi boost seems to be tolerated very well by NA M97 motor.

As of power on a track - benefit of TPC system is exactly in the possibility to reduce boost level with boost controller when you go into extreme driving mode and increase boost for street driving to get mind boggling torque.

People do turbo on any sorts of cars. 997 car is no exception. I would say - anyone who goes down this path should simply put aside $15K in case if engine blows up and simply be realistic that any fun comes with its price. Engines do blow sometimes even without FI systems. No one is guaranteed not to have this problem. But I would not say that current statistics show any signs that moderate boost below 6psi is in any way critical for M97 engine.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:07 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default No need to scratch your head.

Originally Posted by mickfluff
also lacking the thirst to have a unique car..... always scratch my head when I see people claim to be such an enthusiast yet never track their car, don't know how to work on their car, keep their car bone stock etc... when someone just owns a car to own its more a status game IMO. Not saying that is you, just saying....
No need to scratch your head. I am happy to make my car unique just do not think that making modifications like these makes sense. In fact it reminds me of the stuff I did in high school and college. It always ended in tears. These are Porsche's not the fast and furious.

I do track my car and just having moved to NYC from Chicago I need how to continue the addiction. I think that if you are serious about driving as most track junkies are, I gurantee you won't find an afternarket Turbo. Primary reason why, you will put the motor itself in major jepordy.

The mods I am thinking about: Better seats as my driving is getting better and I am flopping all over the place. Possible Porsche tech roll bar with harness. A proper track alignment and when I am ready track tires.

996TTs are about the same price as 997.1s or cheaper. Best way to get into a Turbo properly

To each his own.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:49 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

There are those who must play, and I bought my 06 997S cab 5 years ago, (it is my 39th and last Porsche) and I wanted it to be the car I wanted not the one anyone else wanted. It spen 11 months apart (warranty was void for the 3rd day I owned it), and every part of the car (including every part of the chasis remade in lightweight material) except for the carpet, the rear seats (they are for my twins), and the dash was either changed or trashed, and the car also has a supercharger. I spent more money on mods than I did on the car and more total than the Ferrari 430 I owned at the time. I did it because I wanted a car that was designed for the way I drive and looks the way I want it to look. Resale LOL the car is probably worthless to anyone else but I never plan to sell it and I would not wnat it any other way. I have owned over 250 cars in my life and been rebuilding them for over 35 years, and this car is my all time favorite. I can understand those who want to keep their cars stock, and I respevt their views, perhaps you might try respecting the other side.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:01 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

wow 1carnut - can you post a bunch of pics? i would love to see your ride
Old 04-30-2010, 04:13 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

I guess I don't understand the hostility towards those talking positively about this system. It sounds like a good deal if that's the kind of thing you're looking for. If not, don't buy one.

Does Porsche make a turbo car? Yep, only in AWD.
Should you make heavy modifications to a car like this if you're already stretching to afford it or something breaking on the car will break your wallet? No, you should probably avoid it.

I'm glad that there are late model 911 owners that are willing to tackle something like this--I think we need more owners like that and fewer that panic over whether they're using the right kind of diaper to polish the car.

I'm glad that this is an option for those inclined to try it.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:09 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt do it while in warranty - but after i def would consider..like to see and drive someones first
the turbo pdk from factory is insane
Old 04-30-2010, 08:37 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I'll be glad to, I'll take some pictures over the weekend. I do not mean to sound like I am preaching, but everyone who owns cars like these (my Gallardo as also is moded and is RWD) wants something more than just transportation, and for some like me, the cars that these companies build though amazing, do not fit the way I want to have them feel. So I change them and I think as long as you enjoy your car, anyway it is just fine. I admit spending over 100K to rebuild a car with no warranty is extreme, but I just came back from a 2 hour drive and trust it was and always will be worth every penny.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:16 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default some thoughts...

1carnut and tooloud10 both very good replies and well said.... agdamis not so good buddy...
agdamis you need now to try and toss out the ole "fast and furious" finishing blow? Not going to work here. Comical how your going to add a roll bar to your car..... how about a massive wing I mean such downforce helpful at the track right? Massive wing blade (very functional) maybe, bright red harnesses and your new roll cage and you think you'll be in a good position be point fingers casting the ole "fast and Furious" comments to a guy that has a mod like a turbo kit you can't even see? Come on, give it up.
I appreciate the purists and appreciate the ones not willing to take on such a project etc but I do NOT appreciate the meatballs whom bash the thought of others modding their cars. If someone posted a new pic of their car it would be obnoxious if all off a sudden (people with modded cars/taste) starting slamming that new owner for having a lame *** bone stock generic boring car that anyone with a few $ can go out and grab or lease and pose as they own....stock cause maybe you can not afford to mod, or you have no taste, or your scared to work on your car, or your wifey won't let you spend another dime of your own earned funds? Your blood boiling yet? I use these as just examples to prove a point... not how I feel and would be upset if I saw anyone post such replies to someone posting a new thread with their car or a stock car they liked or thinkinmg to purchase....It is the same thing......
It just seems like modders give plenty of respect to the purist and track owner enthusiasts but it is not fairly reciprocated...
I am thinking of this kit and have already went back and forth with TPC, also about new pipes to mod their mod/exhaust by offering center stage exhaust and swapping for a gt3 rear bumper..... from here new big brake kit and its off to the casting call of the new Fast and Furious III show I guess....

Last edited by mickfluff; 05-01-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:27 AM
997for40
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all you guys who replied...it's really interesting to read different ideas and feedbacks. As for my decision, I'm still on the fence because of smog issues here in Cali, as long as it passes the sniff test I don't think a regular smog tech at a gas station wouldn't know the difference. As I understand it correctly the original cats will still be in place.

As far as longevity of the engine, I had a Dinan Supercharger (no intercooler) on my e36 M3 and the engine didn't blow, I sold it with 130K on the clock and it was still running strong. I don't think the P-car engine would have any problems with such a low boost.

The stealth factor though is a big +!

I will keep you guys posted.......

Last edited by 997for40; 05-03-2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: correction
Old 05-03-2010, 01:25 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Mickfliff I wasnt bashing Modders. I dont think any one here was bashing anybody. I just want people to take pause. This particular mod could devalue the car. Its not going to be worth what a 997 TT is.
I dont care what people do, just realize whats going to happen. Heck I had the Manthey 410 power kit on my brand new GT3! I love Mods AND Modders. I love to see people individualize their babies.
If you want to go for the TPC turbo kit GO ferit!!!. TPC has the luxury of being the most recognized company in this market. They are known for their quality. If a owner has sat down and thought it through and this is what they want, THEN LETS SEE PICS!!!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Handoogies
Banned

There is a race this weekend at the F1 grand prix that I would not even think about joining. 3 classes, 300 hp and below, 500 hp and below, and anything over 500hp. I don't know why its set up like this most likely to maximize profits given limited time. But running on barely over 400 with mod exhaust on a 997.2S no point for me entering. I know for a fact Steven in his GT3 will be top 3, Patrick (if he goes) in a gt3rs will be up there too, not to mention the GTRs. The reason I don't mention the ferraris packing less than 500 is that they are all driven by old ***** chasing men (i.e. slow, or wont race). There will be no dyno at the track to verify hp so it really is idiotic, but makes this mod pop in my mind to get it closer on the long straights. In my opinion future races organized by unique motorsports should be 300hp and lower, 420 hp and lower, 550 hp and lower, and unlimited hp. This would need a dyno to be installed at the F1.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Handoogies
Banned

FYI buy in cost was 1K so not exactly cheap gentlemen for a leisurely race
Old 05-03-2010, 03:42 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Mickfliff I wasnt bashing Modders. I dont think any one here was bashing anybody. I just want people to take pause. This particular mod could devalue the car. Its not going to be worth what a 997 TT is.
I dont care what people do, just realize whats going to happen. Heck I had the Manthey 410 power kit on my brand new GT3! I love Mods AND Modders. I love to see people individualize their babies.
If you want to go for the TPC turbo kit GO ferit!!!. TPC has the luxury of being the most recognized company in this market. They are known for their quality. If a owner has sat down and thought it through and this is what they want, THEN LETS SEE PICS!!!!!
Agree. I was trying to get the point accross that mods are cool just depends which mods for what purpose. I give up.

Mickfliff - No wings for me but thanks for the suggestion.

Quick Reply: Anyone planning a turbo install?