Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gap model between 997.1 and 997.2????`

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:10 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

A friend of mine just bought an 06 CPO C4S with PSE and X51. Paid mid Sixties for it. What do you think that car must have cost brand new????
Old 04-14-2010, 06:13 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

depends on options..atleast 125
Old 04-14-2010, 06:58 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by robbonds
and some people think $10k is too much for an S car....x51 is a total waste...needs to be atleast 50hp..probably more to make it worth it
I guess only valuable as a good option in pre-owned cars! After 6 months, I am still debating about passing over another C4S with X51 over mine... Maybe let me ask you guys if it was wise or not...

When I bought my 5K miles 07 C4S, with NAV, power seats, Alcantara interior, Meteor Grey on black, sports chrono, carrera sport wheels AND CPO... I had an option to buy a 20K miles, 06 C4S with X51 AND Ceramic brakes, on lobster wheels, GT Silver rcolor, WITHOUT Nav, nor sports chrono... for $10K more!

As much as I LOVED to have the X51 power and Ceramic brakes... I just couldn't pay $10K more, for one year older car, that only had 6 months warranty left (mine still has 3.5 years left), and without sports chrono or Nav, and I just can't stand Lobster wheels!!!

Was that a wise decision? Even 6 months after I passed it, I still think that X51 and the brakes would have been worth it... just not sure if any big maintenance could have haunted me in a year or two!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I guess only valuable as a good option in pre-owned cars! After 6 months, I am still debating about passing over another C4S with X51 over mine... Maybe let me ask you guys if it was wise or not...

When I bought my 5K miles 07 C4S, with NAV, power seats, Alcantara interior, Meteor Grey on black, sports chrono, carrera sport wheels AND CPO... I had an option to buy a 20K miles, 06 C4S with X51 AND Ceramic brakes, on lobster wheels, GT Silver rcolor, WITHOUT Nav, nor sports chrono... for $10K more!

As much as I LOVED to have the X51 power and Ceramic brakes... I just couldn't pay $10K more, for one year older car, that only had 6 months warranty left (mine still has 3.5 years left), and without sports chrono or Nav, and I just can't stand Lobster wheels!!!

Was that a wise decision? Even 6 months after I passed it, I still think that X51 and the brakes would have been worth it... just not sure if any big maintenance could have haunted me in a year or two!
It's amazing how we all beat ourselves up over stuff like this. You would never notice the difference in stopping power of the ceramics on the street, and the seat of the pants feel of the X51 with only marginal torque difference from stock would be very minor. You got a beautiful, newer car with some great options for less money. Be happy!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:56 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dueling dynos loser pays
Old 04-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It's amazing how we all beat ourselves up over stuff like this. You would never notice the difference in stopping power of the ceramics on the street, and the seat of the pants feel of the X51 with only marginal torque difference from stock would be very minor. You got a beautiful, newer car with some great options for less money. Be happy!
How many miles do you have with the PCCBs to make that statement?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:47 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Agreed! I wish I could find a newer X51/PCCB CPO car back then!

I was incredibly surprised by how my brakes performed in a braking exercise in our last DE event, and totally blew off every other car, even an R8 in braking! X51 is nice, as it comes with PSE, and extra power at least psychologically (seat of the pants) is nice to have!

The biggest issues was I couldn't retrofit Sports Chrono, nor Nav into that car, and not having CPO would have cost me more down the road! I am planning to add PSE, and the X51 headers... so will be closer to the car I gave up!
Old 04-14-2010, 11:27 PM
911FM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you made a really, really bad decision.

It is not too late though. You just need to dump yours right away at any price (PM me) and go after the other car with X51 and PCCB...

FM
Old 04-14-2010, 11:40 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911FM
Yes, you made a really, really bad decision.

It is not too late though. You just need to dump yours right away at any price (PM me) and go after the other car with X51 and PCCB...

FM
Is that a New Jersey slick way to buy a car for next to nothing?
Old 04-15-2010, 12:18 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Alex, give it up and move on, you made the right choice... the one that was right for you when you made it, right? Otherwise you wouldn't have made it.
X51 and PCCB are very nice but not the end all; CPO is better. 355 ponies is pretty damned good and there's nothing wrong with the S' brakes.
1 year younger, less mileage, and without the Lobsters... I think you'll be fine.
The only thing missing is the PSE but that can be fixed.
You've kind of answered your own question in there somewhere. Bottom line is, your good. Stop worrying and enjoy your car. There will always be the next one.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:39 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
Alex, give it up and move on, you made the right choice... the one that was right for you when you made it, right? Otherwise you wouldn't have made it.
X51 and PCCB are very nice but not the end all; CPO is better. 355 ponies is pretty damned good and there's nothing wrong with the S' brakes.
1 year younger, less mileage, and without the Lobsters... I think you'll be fine.
The only thing missing is the PSE but that can be fixed.
You've kind of answered your own question in there somewhere. Bottom line is, your good. Stop worrying and enjoy your car. There will always be the next one.
Thanks man, absolutely... I didn't even think about it until when someone posted about X51 and I kind of wondered... PSE is on the plans... definitely in the next few weeks!
Old 04-15-2010, 12:51 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Dealer being dishonest? Really? That doesn't happen, does it?

I guess if a dealer told me that in-between story, I would probably ask for some proof on paper. But either way, 355hp is still a great deal of horses!

I was exiting a corner yesterday on a quiet back street and shocked myself by how damned fast and aggressive this "old" car really is!

And last weekend, while driving down from Big Bear Lake on route 38 through the San Bernardino mountains, I was wishing I had my 911 to truly enjoy those hills. Unfortunately, I was driving my wife's G37S sedan, which feels like driving a school bus!

As for your friend, shrewed or not, I think that buying a 911 is a very emotional decision and it sometimes clouds our judgments. I suspect after you do it a couple of times, you learn to hold back emotions and concentrate on the little things of the transaction.

Later,

-T
Old 04-15-2010, 01:14 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Live with an X-51 for 4 years as DD. Best 16K I spent. No need to upgrade because I am still satisfied. How many of those folks with 997.2 are "upgrading" for the horsepower bump. Bet the delta in price between the trade-in and new car was 16K or more. Remember sports exhaust ($2600) option is included in the X-51 package.

Now let' talk about those $10K HRE rims that lower the unsprung weight.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:43 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
In normal street driving, which is what I was referencing in my comment, none of us will ever wish we had PCCB's because the stock brakes on our Porsches are inadequate. That was my point, and I don't think I need to have any miles with PCCB to make it.

My post was simply reassuring Alex that he'd made a good choice, not trying to start a pissing match about stock versus PCCB brakes. Relax. I have no doubt your PCCB's are exceptional.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:18 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It's more the unsprung weight issue than braking differences.

Quick Reply: Gap model between 997.1 and 997.2????`