It's the '80s all over again...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 01:07 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Why???
Beats me. I imagine is another turn of the screws.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:54 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by winkingchef
If I buy an electric car for commuting and a hot-rod for the weekends, it seems like I should get some "balance-out" credit. My GTI is so faithful though - I couldn't bear to kill it.
individual carbon credits. i like it! of course, they can't include my old house with leaks OR mileage on the cars. just ownership. of course, then we could redefine "ownership" and buy into bundles of high efficient cars to get our green credits. we could have 7 people own a chevy volt and only use it when we need to valet
Old 04-10-2010, 02:56 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by brendorenn
individual carbon credits. i like it! of course, they can't include my old house with leaks OR mileage on the cars. just ownership. of course, then we could redefine "ownership" and buy into bundles of high efficient cars to get our green credits. we could have 7 people own a chevy volt and only use it when we need to valet

It's all fun and games. What we need is to vote correctly come Nov. There's more oil than we ever thought existed. No risk of running out for hundreds of years. Noxious emissions are well under control. What else do we need? Electrical cars are weekend toys or commuter appliances at best.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:09 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Just learned today: Race gas (100 octane) has been banned from the race tracks in CA.
And soon they will ban race cars from race tracks. Oh, to be politically correct, and scientifically ignorant.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I have to laugh when I hear about "end of the world" scenerios whether they are portrayed to be the result of nature or the government. Back in the 70s it was the "end of the world" when the government put more stringent emmisions standards together for cars. Some car companies responded negatively and the performance of their vehicles suffered for some years. Others focussed and spent more resources on improving the performnce of their drivetrains. Today, engine technology is vastly superior as a result of these efforts.... much smaller, much cleaner, much more efficient and much more powerful.

The same thing happened with seatbelts....they were going to "destroy" the auto business. In Europe they put very stringent standards on certain emmissions and tax the heck out of motor fuel. Guess what?....... they have better cars, better roads and cleaner air. And, at least in Germany, since they have have more stringent standards for obtaining a driver's license, they have better drivers.

The industry has been challenged before and they succeeded although, as usual, some under-performers have been weeded out. I am optimistic
Old 04-10-2010, 10:24 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry

Just learned today: Race gas (100 octane) has been banned from the race tracks in CA.
wtf.
IT'S about time to let CA go. The US should just hand over the state to China to pay off our debt.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:26 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
wtf.
IT'S about time to let CA go. The US should just hand over the state to China to pay off our debt.
Great idea, except for the "pay off our debt" part. We would probably have to throw in a few 100 billion dollars to get them to take it because Kalifornia has, shall we say, a "negative equity" value!
Old 04-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I think you're overstating this. I found a copy of the CARB advisory dealing with the issue. I can post the whole thing if you're interested, but the most relevant portion is:

CARB considers gasoline (leaded or unleaded) used in racing vehicles for testing, practice, or actual competition for and during a sanctioned racing event to be exempt from the reformulated gasoline (RFG) specifications. Competition vehicles driven to a racing event on a public highway rather than being transported on a trailer or other carrier are not racing vehicles. Motor vehicles used for work, pleasure, or recreation, i.e. cars, trucks, 4X4’s, motorcycles, dirt bikes, ATV’s, dune buggies, sand rails, and other vehicles not strictly used for racing events, are not racing vehicles and gasoline used in these vehicles is not exempt from California RFG requirements. Therefore, it is illegal to sell, offer for sale, supply, and offer for supply non-complying racing fuel (leaded and unleaded) for motor vehicles in California except in competition racing vehicles. Many refiners, blenders, and distributors of racing fuel sell and supply a "street legal" high octane unleaded gasoline (racing fuel) blend that complies with the specifications for California RFG. This complying racing ED – Form #075 (Rev. 07/04) ED – Form #075 (Rev. 07/04)

Leaded and unleaded racing fuel that does not meet the California RFG specifications (non-complying racing gasoline) can only be sold, offered for sale, offered for supply, or supplied for use in true, competition racing vehicles.

Even non complying racing fuel is not being banned from race tracks. It can only be sold for and used in true competition vehicles, not those licensed for street use. Most importantly for those of us that track our street cars, the unleaded "street legal" formulations like Union 76 100 octane are still ok for use in licensed vehicles. I just bought 20 gallons of 100 octane unleaded at Infineon raceway to blend with my pump gas for autox, and had no problems.

If you've found other info contrary to this, perhaps you could post it as I'd like to know what it is. I'd be ticked off not to be able to buy the 100 octane unleaded.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:59 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wtf.
China has become too smart to take on such a disaster. Give it to Mexico.
We bring our own gas in trailers anyway.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

wtf.
Originally Posted by gota911
Great idea, except for the "pay off our debt" part. We would probably have to throw in a few 100 billion dollars to get them to take it because Kalifornia has, shall we say, a "negative equity" value!
Interesting. You know, I hear the secession talk that comes out of Texas from your governor and others, and I keep hoping.....

http://www.texassecede.com/faq.htm
Old 04-10-2010, 03:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I think you're overstating this. I found a copy of the CARB advisory dealing with the issue. I can post the whole thing if you're interested, but the most relevant portion is:

CARB considers gasoline (leaded or unleaded) used in racing vehicles for testing, practice, or actual competition for and during a sanctioned racing event to be exempt from the reformulated gasoline (RFG) specifications. Competition vehicles driven to a racing event on a public highway rather than being transported on a trailer or other carrier are not racing vehicles. Motor vehicles used for work, pleasure, or recreation, i.e. cars, trucks, 4X4’s, motorcycles, dirt bikes, ATV’s, dune buggies, sand rails, and other vehicles not strictly used for racing events, are not racing vehicles and gasoline used in these vehicles is not exempt from California RFG requirements. Therefore, it is illegal to sell, offer for sale, supply, and offer for supply non-complying racing fuel (leaded and unleaded) for motor vehicles in California except in competition racing vehicles. Many refiners, blenders, and distributors of racing fuel sell and supply a "street legal" high octane unleaded gasoline (racing fuel) blend that complies with the specifications for California RFG. This complying racing ED – Form #075 (Rev. 07/04) ED – Form #075 (Rev. 07/04)

Leaded and unleaded racing fuel that does not meet the California RFG specifications (non-complying racing gasoline) can only be sold, offered for sale, offered for supply, or supplied for use in true, competition racing vehicles.

Even non complying racing fuel is not being banned from race tracks. It can only be sold for and used in true competition vehicles, not those licensed for street use. Most importantly for those of us that track our street cars, the unleaded "street legal" formulations like Union 76 100 octane are still ok for use in licensed vehicles. I just bought 20 gallons of 100 octane unleaded at Infineon raceway to blend with my pump gas for autox, and had no problems.

If you've found other info contrary to this, perhaps you could post it as I'd like to know what it is. I'd be ticked off not to be able to buy the 100 octane unleaded.

That is not what I found yesterday at Laguna Seca and I was told that unleaded 100 gas (available at Infineon and LS up to 2 weeks ago) is no longer available. 100 unleaded gas does not add any more pollution, and yes people like to blend it to reach 93 (no point going beyond that w/ street cars). No one is interested in fueling with leaded gas. This is another turn of the screwdriver. Vote well come November.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:20 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Interesting. You know, I hear the secession talk that comes out of Texas from your governor and others, and I keep hoping.....

http://www.texassecede.com/faq.htm
Mike, great retort! Touche!
Old 04-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

That is not what I found yesterday at Laguna Seca and I was told that unleaded 100 gas (available at Infineon and LS up to 2 weeks ago) is no longer available. 100 unleaded gas does not add any more pollution, and yes people like to blend it to reach 93 (no point going beyond that w/ street cars). No one is interested in fueling with leaded gas. This is another turn of the screwdriver. Vote well come November.
Wish there was something that documented the rationale for that. Infineon also sells (sold?) Union 76 96 octane unleaded which would be ok for my purposes. Did you note whether there were any issues with that formulation at LS?
Old 04-10-2010, 03:37 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Wish there was something that documented the rationale for that. Infineon also sells (sold?) Union 76 96 octane unleaded which would be ok for my purposes. Did you note whether there were any issues with that formulation at LS?
I walked to the pump and there was only 91 unleaded and a non-working 100 leaded which, of course, cannot be used in our cars. I inquired about it and I was told that as of 2 weeks ago only std 91 ethanol-laced unleaded was available from now on for street cars. 91 when most states have 93 and our cars are tuned for 93. Hargh! &@$@#%!

I just did a 2,000 mile road trip and the car I drove had a 15-20% worse gas mileage than during its last long trip 2 years ago. The difference is the E10 garbage we have now - subsidized production crap, sold at a high price, with 20% worse gas mileage. The people is being screwed.

Let us know if you find unleaded 100 anywhere and at Infineon. This might have been zealotry that ran amok and might be reversed, but my hope is not up.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Let us know if you find unleaded 100 anywhere and at Infineon. This might have been zealotry that ran amok and might be reversed, but my hope is not up.
I tried to call Infineon, but being Saturday, I couldn't connect with a live person who knew anything about the fuel facility. I live only 20 miles from the track. If I can't get hold of someone by phone next week who knows anything, I'll take a drive over there and post what I find out.

Quick Reply: It's the '80s all over again...