Sponsored by:

It's the '80s all over again...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:22 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 923 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I have to laugh when I hear about "end of the world" scenerios whether they are portrayed to be the result of nature or the government. Back in the 70s it was the "end of the world" when the government put more stringent emmisions standards together for cars. Some car companies responded negatively and the performance of their vehicles suffered for some years. Others focussed and spent more resources on improving the performnce of their drivetrains. Today, engine technology is vastly superior as a result of these efforts.... much smaller, much cleaner, much more efficient and much more powerful.

The same thing happened with seatbelts....they were going to "destroy" the auto business. In Europe they put very stringent standards on certain emmissions and tax the heck out of motor fuel. Guess what?....... they have better cars, better roads and cleaner air. And, at least in Germany, since they have have more stringent standards for obtaining a driver's license, they have better drivers.

The industry has been challenged before and they succeeded although, as usual, some under-performers have been weeded out. I am optimistic
The tailpipe emissions reductions which were the focus of regulations in the 1970s - was based on real science. So was the elimination of CFC R12 refrigerant. And so were seatbelts.

The difference this time is that the new round of regulations are based on reducing CO2 emissions. For what? Because they are warming the earth? Its bogus. The current effort is about control - if you can control CO2 emissions, you can control how people use energy, and therefore you can control almost every aspect of their lives - how they live, what size their homes are, what they drive, how often they drive - anything and everything can be controlled of you can control CO2.

That's why its "different" this time.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:13 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
It's all fun and games. What we need is to vote correctly come Nov. There's more oil than we ever thought existed. No risk of running out for hundreds of years. Noxious emissions are well under control. What else do we need? Electrical cars are weekend toys or commuter appliances at best.
Where is the extra oil that won't run out for hundreds of years?
Old 04-10-2010, 11:39 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
The Eastern seaboard of both North and South America.
The largest deposit ever found in the Gulf of Mexico.
The Western seaboard and all of Alaska.

Should I continue?
Old 04-10-2010, 11:43 PM
zanwar
Pro

Should I continue?
Please do. I'm interested in where your information is coming from. Are there sources you can link to?
Old 04-10-2010, 11:50 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Please do. I'm interested in where your information is coming from. Are there sources you can link to?
My fellow P-car forum member, I am not your research intern. Search the WSJ for lots of refs on the subject.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:20 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Same place it always was. Last time I read an estimate from a fellow scientist, which he considered conservative to the point of suicidal pessimism in allowing for new discoveries, he forecast we would run out in 350 years, give or take a couple of decades.

A little after that time, the global warming politics took over and I haven't read an objective analysis since then.

Gary
Who refuses to discuss politics, or even read about them,
but doesn't mind a little science when he can find a venue
Old 04-11-2010, 01:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
WRX
Mazdaspeed 3
VW GTI
Focus RS
S2000
Audi TT TFSI
Lancer Evo

Yeah 4 cylinders really suck.

And BTW plain old 4-cylinders are a much better way to be fuel efficient than hybrids. It's a much more sensible way to make a car that is both fast and efficient.
while those 4 banger are some of the best motors ever made, especially the S2000 motor, they aren't as good as GT1 flat 6, V8 in scud, and such.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:49 AM
zanwar
Pro

My fellow P-car forum member, I am not your research intern. Search the WSJ for lots of refs on the subject.
I've been following the oil supply situation with some interest the last few years. I haven't seen anything to date that corroborates your claims. Which is why I asked you for a source. The models I've studied are projecting Peak Oil production within 10 years.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:31 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Same place it always was. Last time I read an estimate from a fellow scientist, which he considered conservative to the point of suicidal pessimism in allowing for new discoveries, he forecast we would run out in 350 years, give or take a couple of decades.

A little after that time, the global warming politics took over and I haven't read an objective analysis since then.
Gary, if you are interested in what seem to be balanced, well anotated, scientific articles on oil reserves and peak oil production, check out these links and make of them what you will. There is some disagreement on this issue, as you might imagine. Still, it's very hard to read these articles objectively and not conclude that only the most absurdly optomistic estimates could be interpreted as predicting anything close to 350 years of oil. Besides, a good engineer plans for the worst and hopes for the best, not the other way around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_reserves
Old 04-11-2010, 04:27 AM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

LOL...

Just an FYI..the local station here in Los Angeles that I get my VP100, told me that he won't be able to sell it anymore unless I produce a SCCA or equivlent type of registration. As the owner told me that he got a memo that it was illegal to sell it to regular Joe Schmoe.

There is another station that sells 100 Sunoco that is legal due to its reformulation and its actually $1 less per gallon. Sunoco 100GT is RFG that has the higher 100 octane.

Dave
Old 04-11-2010, 12:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Folks,
Please try and stay on topic.

If you wish to discuss the politics behind the OP post, I invite you to please start a thread in OT P&C.

Thank you.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I walked to the pump and there was only 91 unleaded and a non-working 100 leaded which, of course, cannot be used in our cars. I inquired about it and I was told that as of 2 weeks ago only std 91 ethanol-laced unleaded was available from now on for street cars. 91 when most states have 93 and our cars are tuned for 93. Hargh! &@$@#%!

Let us know if you find unleaded 100 anywhere and at Infineon. This might have been zealotry that ran amok and might be reversed, but my hope is not up.
I called Infineon this morning. The person I spoke to on the phone said the fuel concession at Infineon was run by Paul Oil Co. They also said that they still listed 100 octane unleaded as being available.

To confirm, I drove over there since I wanted to get my car out and I needed to fill a container anyway. Both leaded race fuel (up to 116 octane) and 3 grades of unleaded fuel including 91, 96 and 100 octane were available at the pumps. Interestingly, the last time I was there all of the pumps were lableled Union 76. This time everything was Sunoco, and the 100 octane unleaded was branded Sunoco 100GT, which was mentioned in a previous post in this thread.

I don't know what brand of gas is sold at Laguna but my guess is that either the concessionaire can't get a conforming formulation like Sunoco 100GT or doesn't want to be troubled to do so and is blaming CARB for it. Regardless, there appears to be no blanket ban on 100 octane for street cars, although there are apparently restrictions on non-RFG. If you want the good stuff and can't find it elsewhere, drive up to Infineon.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 04-13-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I called Infineon this morning. The person I spoke to on the phone said the fuel concession at Infineon was run by Paul Oil Co. They also said that they still listed 100 octane unleaded as being available.

To confirm, I drove over there since I wanted to get my car out and I needed to fill a container anyway. Both leaded race fuel (up to 116 octane) and 3 grades of unleaded fuel including 91, 96 and 100 octane were available at the pumps. Interestingly, the last time I was there all of the pumps were lableled Union 76. This time everything was Sunoco, and the 100 octane unleaded was branded Sunoco 100GT, which was mentioned in a previous post in this thread.

I don't know what brand of gas is sold at Laguna but my guess is that either the concessionaire can't get a conforming formulation like Sunoco 100GT or doesn't want to be troubled to do so and is blaming CARB for it. Regardless, there appears to be no blanket ban on 100 octane for street cars, although there are apparently restrictions on non-RFG. If you want the good stuff and can't find it elsewhere, drive up to Infineon.
Good to know, thanks! Please keep us posted if anything changes.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:07 PM
RonnieTheC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should I continue?

There are also new theories that suggest that oil may be a renewable resource and that the supplys are almost infinate. This is just a theory, but it is plausable. But it is more than theory that we know of locations that will provide enough oil for the planet for close to 500 years. The problem is that there has not been a new refinery built in the states in the last 20 years, and all present refineries are at capacity.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:22 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

... at least with US car manufacturers.

V8s are gone, V6s are doubtful, 4-bangers will be the norm.

Reminds me more of the 70's "in general"; people are going nuts and this time I don't think we can blame the pot and acid - late 70s and 80s were crap - bummer to have to go through that (hangover) again - hate to think of waiting 20yrs to get back to "normal".

I'm not missing the V8 so much - auto makers need to dial it down a notch in my opinion - just too much overkill power these days for the sake of numbers. That is specifically what landed me back in a 6er rather than continuing my V8 or even V10 BMW rampage. And even at that, this car has way more than necessary power (not that I'm complaining ). It is great to take a nice long cruise averaging in the high 60s and get nearly 27mpg - while still having no shortage of get up and go like hell.

And it might be small, but packing is an art - my last trip down to my farm, I had all my clothes, my laptop, camera/tripod/lenses, 8in telescope/lenses/tripod/battery packs (don't be fooled by that number - an 8in SC is not so small), CDs/DVDs, binoculars, beer (of course!). I was quite impressed with this little car - no passenger on board, obviously.

I like the idea that some V8 cars are available - having grown up in the "V8 era" the deja vu has been fun, but they mostly make sense for the enthusiast.

Quick Reply: It's the '80s all over again...