Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good find or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 04:47 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Thanks. As I posted on the 911 subforum I gave the Honda dealer the bad news just now. The guy was pissed! I'll keep looking... Let me know if you see a ' good deal '.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:24 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I might just check it out,just for the heck of it. I called the Porsche dealer that did the PPI and they're refusing to give me any informations,ok's etc. So I waited a while and called them back and said I want to CPO it thru their dealership,since they said that if they give their ok on a Porsche,it's the same like if they had to certify it. They told me they can not certify a car from a private party unless they own the car. I found this strange. Why wouldn't they want to get 4-5 grand for a CPO from me,if the car checks out??? I am not buying it,that's it!
Google it up, some people described how you can get it done apparently without having car sold to Porsche dealer and then bought it back from them.

somehow it is possible but I am not positive about details, may be somebody will chime in here about this.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:39 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Honda dealer just called me: they want to sweeten' the deal by 1K. Should I ask for 2K's??? They also emailed me the entire PPI report,plus the DME. I want to post the whole thing here and I will once I get home! I need Certified opinions about the report and DME. I know I'm going to get them from you guys. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Honda dealer just called me: they want to sweeten' the deal by 1K. Should I ask for 2K's??? They also emailed me the entire PPI report,plus the DME. I want to post the whole thing here and I will once I get home! I need Certified opinions about the report and DME. I know I'm going to get them from you guys. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!
Well, doesn't it seem a bit odd the seller's so hot to make this deal, even going so far as to toss another $1K "sweetener" in the deal.

No dealer in my experience ever went after a buyer so hard as this one is going after you to sell car at a loss or even at a low profit. Some salesman's got a nice sea cruise vacation riding on selling this car.

There's nothing wrong with a dealer making a profit and frankly the dealer's entitled to whatever profit he makes as long as he does it legally but you do realize every dollar of profit the dealer recognizes is a dollar of your's?

I've not done any market research on this car. Have you? Honestly it doesn't look like it if you have to ask if you should ask for a $2K sweetener instead of accepting the $1K one. You should know the answer to this question. You should have a good a very good idea as to what the car's true market value is. And having this, knowing this hinges upon some high level of confidence the car's worthy of owning in the first place. That it is in acceptable condition. No. Make that the same condition as the amount of money you're thinking of paying for the car. You want to avoid paying "excellent" money for a car that is not in "excellent" condition, or good money for a car that is poor condition. And you should really seek to avoid buying cars that are merely good and really avoid cars that are in poor condition.

But you do appear to be acquring some info regarding the car's condition as you go along which is good to see.

But I don't believe you have the market value of this car, know it, as best you should.

Now it could just be you have another way of obtaining this info and that is to wait and see what the dealer continues to offer in the way of sweeteners on this car. It is a technique I've never used but whatever works for you.

Which is the way it should be cause it is your decision how much you want to pay for this car.

Added: Oh, and post the info when you get it. I'm sure you'll get some useful feedback on it.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 04-09-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Added:...
Old 04-09-2010, 11:12 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW--I did not do a mileage adjustment as many Porsches have low mileage. Also they are giving you a fair to high number on your car so you need to take that into account.

Black Book Retail as of 04/12/2010
Extra Clean Clean Average Rough
Base $59,900 $57,400 $53,525 $48,300
Options $0 $0 $0 $0
Mileage $0 $0 $0 $0
Total $59,900 $57,400 $53,525 $48,300

Black Book Trade-In as of 04/12/2010
Clean Average Rough
Base $51,650 $48,775 $40,700
Options $0 $0 $0
Mileage $0 $0 $0
Total $51,650 $48,775 $40,700
Old 04-10-2010, 12:26 AM
96_993TT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm... Well, I guess in retrospect that makes sense. I paid to have a PPI done on my car and the owner wanted a copy and the shop that did the PPI refused to give it to him. He said that was up to me. Seems to make sense actually that they wouldn't want to given that you didn't pay for it. I guess at this point, even though you've gotten a PPI from the seller I would see if the dealer would verify it. If not, then I'd ask to take it to the shop of your choice. If they refuse then walk away. It shouldn't be this hard to get satisfaction on your potential purchase. The honda dealer needs to understand that most people will put them through this when buying this kind of a car.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:18 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

not sure how bad you want that car. If I were you, I will counter offer 4K off if you really want that car, but if you are iffy counter offer 5k off. Or, you can talk to dealer who did the inspection to find a similar car in the same price range and CPO it. Again, just make sure this is what you want, it's your money, not ours.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:31 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

tell them to work it out with Porsche dealer to give you CPO on that car instead. if they will manage to accomplish that - buy it.

otherwise - walk away.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:19 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Thank you Vexed! Those are basically the book values on the 2007 Porsche Carrera 4. This car is not in excellent condition,as the KBB says,only 5% of the cars fall into that category. But,with the options that it has,this car should be in the 55-56K in the Good condition category. I think too that this Honda dealer is making very good profit on this deal and I still have to figure out how they got this trade in against a new Honda. The most expensive new Honda they have goes for around 40K. Unless the Porsche owner was a real sucker or didn't care about his lose in this deal. I never believed that the Honda dealer cut him back a check for the difference. THEY WOULD NEVER DO THAT!!!
For Utkinpol: I don't see how the Honda dealer could work out a deal with the Porsche dealer to CPO my car...that's probably too much to ask. But I can definitely take some more money off the price!
I still haven't received my PPI report. I might have to call them to remind them to send it,because I really want to post it here!
Old 04-10-2010, 10:30 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

I've decided to post all the pictures:

Last edited by neanicu; 04-29-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:31 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

More pictures:

Old 04-10-2010, 10:32 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

And here:

Old 04-10-2010, 10:34 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

And few more:

Old 04-10-2010, 03:11 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I know you have gotten a lot of advice here and now you are going to get one more opinion here. Is there a particular reason you are interested in a C4?

The reason I ask is because (when new), the BASE price of a C4 was about $7k to $8K higher than the base price of a C2. The base price of a C2S is about $10K higher that the base price of a C2. If it were me, I would be looking for a C2S which will get you 30 more HP, larger brakes, and PASM as standard equipment. But that's just me, because I have no true "need" for a 4WD Porsche.

If you really want this particular car, I agree with utlinpol above when he stated to have the Honda dealer contact the Porsche dealer to see if they (the Porsche dealer) will do a "sell through" and CPO the car for you. If they will do that, tell the Honda dealer the you will give them $54K for the car including CPO from the Porsche dealer. If the Honda dealer has enough mark-up in the car to be able to sell it to the Porsche dealer and make a little money and then if Porsche tacks on the cost of the CPO warranty plus a little profit for themselves, then you get the car with CPO for $54K.

Here is an example of how this might work. Remember, I have no idea what the Honda dealer actually paid for the car.

Honda dealer paid $49,500 for the car (just guessing here)
Honda sells it to Porsche dealer for $51,000, and makes $1,500
Porsche dealer adds CPO warranty for $2,000 (costs them about $1,700 so they have $300 profit on CPO) and $500 additional Profit
($51,500 + 2,000 + 500 = $54,000) Porsche dealer makes $800 profit.
Porsche dealer sells the car to you, including CPO, for $54,000.

Or you could offer the Honda dealer $51,000 for it "as is" and see what they say.

Or you could just walk away and look for other cars.

Ultimately, it's your choice, but you DO have options.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:25 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

For Utkinpol: I don't see how the Honda dealer could work out a deal with the Porsche dealer to CPO my car...that's probably too much to ask. But I can definitely take some more money off the price!
I still haven't received my PPI report. I might have to call them to remind them to send it,because I really want to post it here!
Well, you see, you got to think not if it is too much to ask but about what is it you need and you want. You need '06 car with Porsche CPO warranty. You can find one for $50K I believe if you look for a base car with not many options.

Just keep looking and do not jump on the first car you found. Take your time. Let me assure you - MOST likely that car in Honda dealership will not fly anywhere any time soon.

Quick Reply: Good find or not?