Sponsored by:

led flashlight concern

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 02:00 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts
Default led flashlight concern

yup you guys read it right. i have a concern regarding the Porsche desing led flashlight. i bought the stainless steel version you plug into the cigarette lighter. my concern is can we just out this flashlight there for an indefinite period of time? wont it discharge the battery? any concerns that i should think about regarding this gadget?
Old 04-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I would think that's its pull on the battery is so minor that it won't be a factor. There are so many power parasites in these cars today that one more won't make a difference. Okay, perhaps your battery will fail 2 days earlier than if you never had that thing plugged in.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:54 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

i would think you are right dan, though im not sure if the claims that it has an automatic integrated charger are true. this is suppose to charge the light and turn off the cahrger when it is full. well in it goes again. its got a nice blue hue when its plugged in
Old 04-05-2010, 08:05 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received one from my son as a Christmas present over a year ago. It does shut down the charging process when it is finished. I tend to charge mine on longer drives, then unplug it and store it in the center console.
Jerry
Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

hi jerry, how do you know it shuts down mine always glows blue
Old 04-05-2010, 08:19 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
hi jerry, how do you know it shuts down mine always glows blue
I have one too and I keep it in that little outlet down by Cindy's left leg.

Good question. It's like that little light in the refrigerator.

Gary
Old 04-05-2010, 08:49 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I got it and have charged it over night without issues. However, I drained my battery while my radar detector was plugged in for a few days, so generally if you're leaving your car for a few days I recommend not to have anything connected to the lighter. Over night it should be fine.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:54 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

i guess its a up to who owns. noone has yet the direct answer if we could just leave it there or not. of course the safest bet would be to remove it after the supposedly 6 hours charge recommended. defeats the coolness of the gadget though to have to remove it and reinstall and remove.. as dan said how much could this thing consume.. just hope that leaving it there wont destroy the light or the rechargeable baterries
Old 04-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The charger circuit detects the battery voltage. When it is fully charged the current to the battery is reduced to prevent over-charging the battery. The drain on your battery is negligible, on the order of 2 milliamps. That's 2 1/000ths of an AMP. Your battery has 72,000 milliamps. So, your flashlight could potentially discharge your battery in 36,000 hours or about 1,500 days. Since other items like the engine control unit, alarm system etc draw more than that I wouldn't worry about it
Old 04-05-2010, 09:45 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

we needed Bob R to give us the low down on it. i guess there is a charger and i could leave that thing in the cigarette lighter, prevents me from smoking too, as an emergency item always ready to light the way when needed. having that key ring there is not really practical. Who would want to carry around a key holder as heavy as that? Thanks for sharing your knowledge Bob R.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bob is right on.

Good rechargeable devices have chargers which charge the item most effectively and then shut down to a trickle/maintenance mode once fully charged. As Bob said, that's defendant on the current or voltage the charger detects across the devices rechargeable battery.

To do your part for the flashlight, it would be good if every once in a while, maybe annually, at least, you used the flashlight for an extended period of time to run out a good bit of the stored power (if the batteries are NiCd) and then let the charger recharge them. NMh batteries don't have this problem. I'm not sure what type of battery is in the Porsche flashlight as I don't have mine yet.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Ni MH (4 cell sandwitch) batteries
I saw almost identical copies on the net for a fraction of the price, example:
http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/led-...argable-light/
Old 04-07-2010, 02:36 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

bijan that is so it...just without the porsche logo on it... would still have gotten the original one with the logo...something special with that name on the item...
Old 04-07-2010, 03:13 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Slicky,
Yes looks identical, maybe OEM
Old 04-12-2010, 04:14 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If we worry about the Porsche rechargeable flashlight drains the car battery, please checkout the following Aircraft Grade Anodized Aluminum body LED flashlight from Costco.

I am a fan of LED flashlight and I have a full drawer of expensive Surefire flashlights at home. Yet, I am sold by this Costco flashlight...

The amazing thing is its price -- $20 for two (yes, $10 per flashlight.) and they are really high-quality. I have used them in rain and dropped them on ground, and they worked just fine. For $10, I really highly recommend to put one in each of our car. We can find them at our local Costco.

Just want to share.

With best regards,

Quick Reply: led flashlight concern