Sponsored by:

993 C2S vs 997 CS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 01:49 PM
pjl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sick of hearing this.
And I'm so sick of oversensitive people who actually take the time to whine in a post about innocuous comments. So we're even.

There are some people who aren't bothered by acknowledging the paradigm shift when 911s went from air-cooled to water-cooled, and went from more of a stripped-down niche sports car to a bigger GT feel that would appeal to a wider audience. Some people can actually embrace both approaches and not feel threatened by praise bestowed upon the strengths of either.

As I said, 911s are 911s.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:27 PM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FriedEgg
As a fairweather weekend car, what would you do?
I recently went from a 993 C2 to a 997 C2S Cab. They are very different beasts. The 993 was very well sorted out (PSS9 Suspension, ROW ride height, short shift, RS Tie Rods, RSR Mufflers, strut tower brace, chip, etc.) and I owned it for over ten years. It drove great and I had several people familiar with 993s say that it was one of the best set up 993s they had ever driven. I really was a great "classic" sports car. No PSM, PASM, etc. You could really feel everything and it was easy to steer with your right foot. However, you could also get yourself in some trouble. The sounds (engine note, thunk of closing the door, etc.) and smell of that car was unmistakable. I really do miss the 993 car but the 997 S is an excellent car and better in almost every way. Fast, comfortable, great handling and safe due to all of the electronic "drivers aids/safety" features. Although I never had any significant reliability issues with the 993, being a 15 year old car you know that it will require a lot of maintenance and upkeep. I guess this is a longwinded way of saying if you have to choose between the two, keep the 997.

As a side note, I was very surprised at how much larger the 997 appeared than the 993 when I had them both in my garage for a day or two. I have not checked the dimensions, but it appeared to be significant.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:13 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Seems like there are many in this forum who have extensive seat time in 993's. I currently have a 997CS and drove a friend's 993C2S yesterday. Being that it is not my car, I didn't want to push it hard and was not really able to assess its abilities.

I now have thoughts on trading in for one, but just can't wrap my head around the cost. I would probably have to give up my 997 + $5k for a 993C2S...which logically doesn't quite make sense. It is a bit more involving and feels more special, but tough to quantify. What a brief test drive doesn't tell me is the long term ownership prospect. As a fairweather weekend car, what would you do?
I re-read your post, and I think the only person to make a decision is yourself. As I said earlier, 997 by far the better car for daily car, but 993 is a great option for weekender.

However, chooing a weekend car is very personal, as it's for pure enjoyment of the driver and only yourself can quantify which makes your engine crank more!
Old 04-06-2010, 04:59 PM
FriedEgg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pjl
And I'm so sick of oversensitive people who actually take the time to whine in a post about innocuous comments. So we're even.

There are some people who aren't bothered by acknowledging the paradigm shift when 911s went from air-cooled to water-cooled, and went from more of a stripped-down niche sports car to a bigger GT feel that would appeal to a wider audience. Some people can actually embrace both approaches and not feel threatened by praise bestowed upon the strengths of either.

As I said, 911s are 911s.
Very well stated.

It is amazing that we could even have a realistic debate over which is a "better" or more enjoyable sports car, between a new 911 vs one that's 15-years old. I don't think that you'll hear this same type of debate over a Corvette, for example. Credit Porsche for creating an icon...and I'm glad to own an example of this amazing model.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:56 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Very well stated.

It is amazing that we could even have a realistic debate over which is a "better" or more enjoyable sports car, between a new 911 vs one that's 15-years old. I don't think that you'll hear this same type of debate over a Corvette, for example. Credit Porsche for creating an icon...and I'm glad to own an example of this amazing model.
Exactly! The fact that we are even debating this, says a lot!

Quick Reply: 993 C2S vs 997 CS?