Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficulty selecting 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 03:14 PM
srb1194
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

So this is where the adjustment was made. He said there was definitely a need for calibration as they both had to be adjusted. This value is obtained by counting the threads. I'll be driving in a little while so more information to come. At least I feel better knowing that they were slightly out of adjustment.
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2022, 05:47 PM
srb1194
Instructor

Okay here's the verdict. There is no doubt that there is a definite improvement. The car sat in their shop for almost 7 hours so the fluid was at ambient temperature. Immediately when I left I could tell the difference. On the way home I was pleased every time I came to a stop and had to get back to first gear. There is slight resistance but nothing like before. It'll be awhile before I drive it again but I'm very pleased with the results.
Old 12-20-2022, 08:03 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by srb1194
Okay here's the verdict. There is no doubt that there is a definite improvement. The car sat in their shop for almost 7 hours so the fluid was at ambient temperature. Immediately when I left I could tell the difference. On the way home I was pleased every time I came to a stop and had to get back to first gear. There is slight resistance but nothing like before. It'll be awhile before I drive it again but I'm very pleased with the results.
Wow. I didn't expect this. OTHO, as I mentioned before, the two cars I've updated to the FF blocks on the linkage (at the transmission end of the cables) both reported improvements. So as Bruce figures, this could be wear (but on the outside rather than the inside).
Old 12-20-2022, 08:28 PM
srb1194
Instructor

I'm really looking forward to driving it some more but there is no denying that it is greatly improved.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:33 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 406 Posts

Curious what is it with this Aisin transmission. I test drove an 07 Aston Martin V8 Vantage with a manual last week and from cold, no issue at all with selecting any gear. Slipped into 1st without any complaint at all at every stoplight. I also never had any issue like this 1st gear lockout in my Boxster manual in the 17 yrs I owned it or the BMW 3-series I had for 12 yrs. And I never once changed the transmission fluid in any of those cars. What is the problem with these 997 manuals that you have to do all sorts of tricks to get it into gear at a stoplight? The weird thing is that it doesn’t happen at every light. Maybe once or twice during an hour long drive, but still annoying. I feel like if I let a friend drive my car, I have to warn them not to panic when it happens to them.

Last edited by Carreralicious; 02-07-2023 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:08 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,537 Likes on 926 Posts

2009 C2S 186K miles

I've noted this before, our transmissions are just not that good. That is really all there is to it. The reason it is fine on some shifts and not others, IMO, is the randomness of the dog teeth aligning to their slots. Further, I think the metal spec'd is just not hard enough and there is wear. I still, for the life of me, can not understand how changing the shifter angle affects anything other than our perceptions.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 02-07-2023, 10:33 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 186K miles

I've noted this before, our transmissions are just not that good. That is really all there is to it. The reason it is fine on some shifts and not others, IMO, is the randomness of the dog teeth aligning to their slots. Further, I think the metal spec'd is just not hard enough and there is wear. I still, for the life of me, can not understand how changing the shifter angle affects anything other than our perceptions.

Peace
Well that’s not that encouraging. Lol. Our transmissions just suck. 😆
Old 02-07-2023, 10:44 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,537 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
Yea, well I call 'em as I see 'em. This thing has gotten steadily worse.... changing the fluid arrests the change, but it still marches on.

Peace
Old 02-07-2023, 11:27 AM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

It’s an 997 thing, embrace it y’all.. Upon backing up out of my driveway and going into first, a little rough but no problem. It’s always at that first stop sign where I have the trouble. I just double clutch and in it goes. After that its good the rest of the drive. Had the Gear oil replaced(Swepco 201), have Numeric shifter and FF shifter cable ends installed. At this point its just a quirk when its cold, after that it functions just as it should and I expect with the Numeric shifter… smooth and rifle bolt like

Last edited by Scalp_em; 02-07-2023 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:43 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

It really is a 997 thing. I drove my friend’s 991.2, and it does not have this problem. Guess it’s not an Aisin transmission used anymore.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:06 PM
nerdnic
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 186K miles

Peace
Bruce, I won't claim to understand all of our shifting challenges, but I am pretty confident that aligning the shifter isn't just impacting perception. Our shifter is just a floppy lever that 'floats' and by itself isn't bound to the H shift pattern. The shift pattern you feel and abide by is mechanically enforced by the transmission itself and is achieved by a series of push and pulls on the shift cables. Because of this, for every mm the shifter moves in any direction there is an applied push or pull to either/both shift cables. If your shifter is not centered, you are unknowingly applying a push/pull on the cables that is then applied to the transmission gear levers. Unless the alignment is really bad then I suspect you'd still be able to shift, but it won't be as smooth. I have done my shifter alignment a few times and the improvement is minor but noticeable, especially in 1st/2nd.

I ran into a separate issue with my cables that I wanted to bring up with the forum. I've removed my transmission a few times to do clutch/flywheel work and everything went smoothly. However, the last time I pulled the transmission, there was an inadvertent stacking/twist added to the shift cables that drastically impacted my shift feel and couldn't be corrected with shifter alignment. I went from the normal issues with 1st-2nd before I pulled the transmission to a lot of grinding and catching in 4th-6th. When I inspected the cables under the car, I noticed that they weren't hanging parallel anymore and one of them was kind of wedged above the other. This added a small additional bend to the cable and was enough to impact my shifting. I repositioned the cables under the car and immediately 4th-6th shifting issues went away.

Last edited by nerdnic; 02-07-2023 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 01:43 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

I've replaced linkage on multiple friends' cars and have been somewhat appalled by all of the plastic. I'd look at the linkage at the very least. Just saying.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:15 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,885 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
Porsche has had some transmission issues since the days of the 1975 911. Unfortunately anyone who has owned the 1975-1977 911/911S or the 1978-1993 911sc is well aware of the problems with the Transmission Syncos of that time.
After only 30-40K miles the 915 transmission 1st and 2nd gear syncros failed and there was grinding trying to downshift.
Every one of those cars suffered from syncro issues and needed rebuild to repair. I know I had a few of those trannys rebuilt.
Wasn't until the 1987 Carrera that the more bullet-proof G50 transmission was offered.
Also the 928 suffered the same syncro issues.

Never noticed any issues with my past 997's transmissions shifting into 1st or downshifting
My current 06 997C4 has smooth transmission and no issues shifting into or down into 1st gear. And has 107K miles. *The transmission was replaced at 20K miles as noted on Carfax.

Ferrari 308 of late 1970's were notorious for having hard time shifting into/out of 1st and 2nd gear when cold. Once warmed up smooth as butter.

Quick Reply: Difficulty selecting 1st gear