997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cab owners - Leave top up or down?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010 | 11:46 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Default Cab owners - Leave top up or down?

I generally always raise the top on my cab if its the last time I am driving it on a given day, thinking that the fabric is better off stored/stretched the closed position.

Is that notion really correct though? Is cycling the top every time I drive the car mechanically more wearing then just leaving the top down for a few days at a time?

Are there others here with experience in leaving the cab top down for periods of time (days at a time) without noting any additional wear negative effects?

For what its worth, I drive my cab pretty frequently, 3-5 times a week....

thank you,
John
Old 03-31-2010 | 01:01 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

I believe it partially depends on where you park it. I park mine in my garage overnight and I do not put the top up regularly when I park it overnight. However, if I am not going to be driving it for a while, say several days or more, because of poor weather (a whole other topic in itself I know...), vacation or winter storage then I put the top up. If I am parking outside overnight I always put the top up to avoid any "surprises".

Inside, it's a balance between creasing the top / stretching it out and unnecessarily running the mechanism. Outside you add the risk component of sun (heat and UV), dew, birds, rain, cats, you name it.

Interesting to see what others will say...
Old 03-31-2010 | 01:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I think my interior is more valuable than a canvas top--so I keep it up when it's not within sight, or in hostile territory!
Old 03-31-2010 | 02:04 AM
jsmirand
Racer

Thanks for the inputs so far... my car is garaged every night, so the context of the question is, raise the top at the end of the day, knowing I'll probably drive it again in 1-2 days, or leave it down more often.

I'm probably being **** about this, but most Porsche owners are **** about their car care!

For the past couple years, I always raise my top at the end of the day, when its safely stowed in the garage. But recently, I started to wonder if this is unnecessary when the car is used frequently.

I agree though, when the parking area is questionable, or if the car is going to be unattended for several hours, I always raise the top, but if I am driving into a questionable part of town, well that is what the other cars are for!
Old 03-31-2010 | 11:04 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

I generally leave it down when garaged when I'm using it daily or on weekends. I will put it up if it will sit for days when traveling or of course in most parking situations. I want to preserve the new leather smells as long as possible

Also, if you get the smart top, raising and lowering is a breeze - just hit one button while slowly cruising into your parking spot!

Where are you in Tux?

Chris
Old 03-31-2010 | 11:10 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

I also always put it up if not in sight. Between birds crapping and jealous idiots spitting in, or dumping a drink in an open car, it's just not worth it. The operation is so easy, and like Chris says, with a SmartTop it's actually amusing.
Old 03-31-2010 | 11:13 AM
kosmo
Race Director

I normally have the top UP as I dont drive it daily. Also I like to add to this post by asking if the metal bits like the hinges need care like greasing every now and then? tks
Old 03-31-2010 | 11:33 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I always park with top up. Always have. Third cab.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 03-31-2010 | 03:12 PM
Thegman
Banned

Word to the wise: Never, ever, put the top down when it is wet or damp!
Old 03-31-2010 | 03:15 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Top up. Keep the new car smell in and the cosmoline smell out. Plus the dust and accidents factors which may degrade the interior. E.g. ever have a bird get trapped in your garage overnight? Poo everywhere by morning.
Old 03-31-2010 | 06:46 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

I have my Cab going on 5 years, 80k trouble free miles. I put the top up, I leave the top down... Its all good in the hood.
Old 03-31-2010 | 07:56 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

I do think the top will wrinkle if you keep it down for an extended period of time. I'll keep mine down a couple of days at most. I'll never leave it down if the car is kept outdoors.
Old 03-31-2010 | 08:23 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

top down in my garage, up anywhere else.
Old 03-31-2010 | 08:35 PM
gmsracing
Pro

I don't have a cab, but the other month I accidently left my garage door open overnight and I left the windows down in my Cayman. The next morning I came out and there were paw prints all over the car and in the interior from a cat! Fortunately, it didn't mark the interior. Now I double check that I lock the garage door at night! I also usually don't leave the windows down either to prevent spiders from making homes inside the car. Just on that day I left the windows down and the door up!
Old 03-31-2010 | 09:22 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

I leave the top up during the week as I dont get to drive this car until the weekend. On the weekends, I will go either way based on the weather. I have left the top down for a couple of weeks previously and not had any issues but prefer to leave it up most of the time.

Quick Reply: Cab owners - Leave top up or down?