Road Trip: Phoenix to AL/FL and on to MA

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Road Trip: Phoenix to AL/FL and on to MA

I've always wanted to drive across the US and in 2 weeks my wife and I are making the trip. I'm leaving from CA and my first stop is in Phoenix to visit with some friends. It's a straight shot across the I-10.

I'd like some advice as where to stay and where to avoid as far as hotels (Porsche friendly parking?) and cities or cool stuff to see. Most of my route is along the I-10 right through Texas.

After leaving Phoenix, I was considering stopping overnight in El Paso for one night and then stopping in in San Antonio to see the sights but actually going on to the Houston area for a hotel. I'm leaving Phoenix on a Wed and want to make it to the AL/FL border by Friday (end of day) to visit with my sister in law.

My sister in law, warned me to NOT stay in El Paso but I don't know anything about the area. I'd really appreciate any advice any familiar with this route or any of the cities I'll be passing through.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone can offer.
Charlie

PS. In addition to visiting my sister in law in AL, I'll be visiting a friend just over the border in FL. Then on to MA. I've done most of the East Coast stuff from SC up to MA about 10 years ago.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:35 PM
SevenCostanza
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove my 997S cab from San Jose to KY about a month ago, but I was primarily interested in making time. Didn't do much sightseeing. I stayed in San Luis Obispo, Tucson, Midland TX, and Little Rock before making the final run home. These cities were spaced out nicely. I drove about 10 hours per day, and was basically off the road by dark each day.

I had to stop for oil in El Paso. Found some 5W-30 at an Autozone there, thank goodness. Honestly, all of TX seemed the same to me! Great trip. You'll have a blast.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:36 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phoenix's nicer resorts tend to be in Scottsdale / Paradise Valley areas, which isn't super convenient if you are coming through via I-10 (you have to cross town somewhat).

If seeing your friends in Phoenix falls through, consider Tucson, 1.5 hours South, there are some great resorts, smaller town, easier to navigate (Loews Ventana Canyon Resort is nice next to a beautiful park/area Sabino Canyon, also a brand new Ritz Carlton in Marana just 15 minutes off the highway to name a couple places...)
Old 03-29-2010, 08:40 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Here's remarks from a Canadian -

I hope you love your car and your wife because they're isn't much else to look at 'till you get clear of Texas on the route you have in mind. I've done the LA - Pheonix run a few times and love it with top down on a cooking hot day, as long as the wind isn't blowing up the sand.

I'd stay at the Scottsdale Princess Fairmont resort - even if just for a night or two. Great place with nice selection of restaurants and safe, Porsche "friendly" (as you say) parking.

I can't remember where I've stayed in El Paso - but I don't have recall anything wrong. I generally stick with higher-end places anyway - even when (or maybe because) it's just a quick in-out on a road trip, I think safe, comfortable upscale accomodations are worth the few extra bucks.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:46 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by jsmirand
Phoenix's nicer resorts tend to be in Scottsdale / Paradise Valley areas, which isn't super convenient if you are coming through via I-10 (you have to cross town somewhat).
Scottsdale is dead easy when approaching Phoenix on I-10 (other than those silly fixed photo radar things everywhere). Just grab that circle freeway that loops around the north end of the city.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:23 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Instead of taking I10 (a very busy interstate) drive down to San Diego and drive I8 East - a much better (less busy) interstate.

Another option is I40, a bit further north (and adjacent Route 66). I would avoid I10 at all cost. I drove it the other day coming from Phoenix and it was busy all its length.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

The Drive on I-8 from San Diego has some great vistas - but it's very windy and can be quite spartan outside of Yuma. Good news- in general you can make really good time
Old 03-29-2010, 09:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
The Drive on I-8 from San Diego has some great vistas - but it's very windy and can be quite spartan outside of Yuma. Good news- in general you can make really good time
I agree with the last sentence.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by purrybonker
Here's remarks from a Canadian -

I'd stay at the Scottsdale Princess Fairmont resort - even if just for a night or two. Great place with nice selection of restaurants and safe, Porsche "friendly" (as you say) parking.
If we don't end up staying with our friends, I'll definitely check it out.
Thanks!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
I agree with the last sentence.
Thanks for all the info. so far. Keep 'em coming!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove more or less the same route in January. I was driving my daughter's Subaru from San Francisco to New York via Palm Beach. Because of the probability of bad weather in January, I decided to stay as far south as possible and so made my transit on the dreaded I10.

You can find my notes on the trip at http://figgyii.blogspot.com. I also suggest that you search this forum for a thread that I started seeking advice before my trip. It was titled "SFO-FL-NYC Recommendations Please" and includes some excellent suggestions. If you search under my name on 6speed, you can also find a similar thread there.

Unlike you, I was traveling alone and was not driving my Porsche so I basically drove as far and as fast as possible, sticking to the Interstates. The scenery along I10 was better than I anticipated especially from California to mid-Texas. The desert in particular was much nicer than I expected but the towns that I stopped at for gas or lodging along the route were generally dull and uninviting.

I stayed in motels and they were all more-or-less the same. I recommend Holiday Inn Express because they give a good hot breakfast. As you will read in my blog, I found that I liked a chain of restaurants that are ubiquitous in the South called Waffle House. There seems to be one at every exit. I tried a few random Mexican restaurants near my motels but never found one that was particularly good. I'm sure that if you have a navigator and a few guidebooks you will do better.

I considered using I8 but didn't. No real reason except laziness. I was tempted to go north of I10 in Texas and pass through Austin. The mileage seemed about the same but the roads were not as good. Austin has lots of good food and other interesting stuff but, again, I was lazy. Finally, I did leave I10 for a bit to avoid New Orleans. If you have the time, I would probably go to both. Ditto, El Paso.

One bit of advice, bring audio books! Radio in the southwest and south is spotty and, when available, awful with the exception of NPR which is only intermittently available. Of course, if you are into Tea Party preachers and pundits or radio stations named after animals ("the fox" or whatever) or mariachi bands, ignore this suggestion. Satellite radio is an improvement but it gets old fast.

I was able to do a more-or-less steady 80 MPH. I had a radar detector (V1) and had no problems with police. Several of the states are relying on speed cameras which are often set up near phony work zones (no work, no workers but higher fines.) Beware! The locals seem to know what's what and if you see them seem to slow down for no good reason, take heed -- especially if you are in a P-car with out of state plates. The same is very true along I95. And remember to turn off your radar in Virginia which is reputed to seek out out of state drivers for this sin.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I've crossed the USA many times with a variety of routes. I10 is pretty boring and from California to El Paso you can figure on a full day. Really full. Phoenix to El Paso is not bad. Suggest staying someplace in the north end of town. I never really liked El Paso, but was stationed there briefly with the Army at Ft Bliss. (Parking is always pretty secure on a base). A pretty area but off your routing is Cloudcroft, NM to the north. Beautiful country.

From El Paso I drove to Randolph AFB, TX (San Antonio). Texas is so big that it's a good two days to get across. Most of the major hotels in San Antonio are nice, and you should consider a break along the River Walk downtown for eating and shopping. You can probably put the cruise control at 75 mph crossing west Texas without fear of the local gestapo.

From San Antonio I went on to the panhandle of Florida. (Tyndall AFB). Keep in mind some of the earlier problems people reported of headlights being stolen in Florida. Park the car in such a way that someone can't really GET to the headlights if you can. Just a thought. It only takes them 5 minutes.

Watch the roads in Florida when it rains. They are commonly made with oyster shells and when wet from an afternoon shower, get very slick.

Remember that you're passing through unknown economies as you cross so be sure and hide everything inside the car from preying eyes. Everything. The last thing you need to deal with is a broken window from some nut doing a crash and grab.

Check the inside portion of your rear tires routinely. They do wear faster than the outside edges, and for such a long trip it will pay to look them over very carefully around the middle of the trip.

It sounds like a wonderful trip. Have a great time and document it for some of us shut ins with pictures at the best spots!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:28 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01

You can probably put the cruise control at 75 mph crossing west Texas without fear of the local gestapo.
Actually, the speed limit on I-10 in much of West Texas is 80.

Also, from about 50 miles on in to San Antonio, the area is actually pretty decent, with some nice potential side trips north into the Hill Country. Kerrville is very nice and right on I-10.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:32 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Texas the forever state ....urgg.

I have never had a problem with the parking of my pcar on any of my road trips across the US. Last trip was 12/09.

Consider doing Tail of the Dragon, Blue Ridge Parkway on the way North
Old 03-29-2010, 11:02 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Texas the forever state ....urgg.
Thanks. I was just trying to offer a suggestion. To each his own.

Quick Reply: Road Trip: Phoenix to AL/FL and on to MA