997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Service - DIY ? any point?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:07 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Major Service - DIY ? any point?

I'm coming up on 4 years / 40k. I do my own oil changes and change air filters & brake fluid.

Is there any point to getting a "major service" ? Seems like shops want around $800 for it and I can't figure out what I'm getting out of that. That's a lot of money to just have someone look over the car for problems, since I have to pay for the fix too if they find anything wrong!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:20 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Oil Change, Cabin Filter change, Air filter change, Wiper Blade Change. Add more money for brake fluid change.

They will look around under your car for 1/2 hour and charge you four hours labor.

I just hit 40,000 miles a few months ago. Guess what I did?
Old 03-29-2010, 05:18 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Do a search. Edgy01 (Dan) did a write-up with nice pics about whole thing.
Only thing is reseting that service light which needs to be done by the dealer or if you can get a hold of that Durametric device.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Thankfully, these newer cars go a long way between real major services. But that doesn't mean you should skip things. With all the automatic adjustments going on inside these engines (no more valve adjustments, etc.) you simply do the real simple stuff for the most part:

Oil change and oil filter

Cabin and engine air filters

Brake fluid and pad inspection (replace as needed)

If you're somewhat mechanically inclined, put the car up on jacks or a rack and go through it from front to rear and verify torque values on things (suspension, wheels) and do a visual inspection for loose things, and seeps or leaks.

For those of you who park under a tree, make sure to check the drain holes in the area where the battery resides. The service guys at the dealership see a lot more cars than you do (only your own) and so they have a better feel for what to look for and why than an owner may--unless you know these cars. If you're a regular reader on Rennlist you should already know the issues.

Keep what you do documented in a log book. Eventually, when you go to sell the car, the next guy can see what you did. It is also useful if you get into an issue with PCNA over something on the car.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the major service cost a standard charge? I mean if you say you have done the oil & filter yourself will they allow for this in a reduced charge.

I definitely think spark plugs are not a DIY job but then these have only to be done - every four years?
Old 03-29-2010, 06:04 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alfaguy2
Is the major service cost a standard charge? I mean if you say you have done the oil & filter yourself will they allow for this in a reduced charge.

I definitely think spark plugs are not a DIY job but then these have only to be done - every four years?
The recommendation is 4 yrs/60K miles.
I think the 4 years is a safety measure from Porsche so the the plugs dont get frozen to the heads.
I went 6 yrs and the plugs were still fine.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:16 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I just found Dan's old post on his 20k service :

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...e-at-home.html

I'm no experienced wrench by any means, but this is one of the easiest cars I've owned to do basic maintenance on. I like to do as much as I can myself, to learn and to be in tune with the car.

"go through it from front to rear and verify torque values on things (suspension, wheels)"

Is there a service manual I can buy for the 997 ? (where can I get torque values?)

I guess I'm coming up on the spark plug service interval so I'll take it in to have that done and I'll ask them to just look it over then.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I would suggest that you outsource the spark plug job--I will be doing that when I get to 60,000 miles. There's no real reason to do it too early as it is a big job. Most other jobs are fairly simple. Try Renntech for some service tips. May have torque values there.

Quick Reply: Major Service - DIY ? any point?