Sponsored by:

Should I extend my warranty?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 02:30 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
I'm worried about probable expensive repairs. A dozen European cars in the last 25 years have taught me that even the most seemingly-minor repair costs a ridiculous amount, even if you use aftermarket parts and an independent repair facility. And they will happen, no ifs ands or buts. Six $500 repairs over the years add up to the same as one $3000 repair.
What he said. Bought a platinum plan from Fidelity through Suncoast for $1800. That's for 3 years and 12,000 miles/year. Basically a copy of the factory warranty except 3 years instead of 4. Covers everything except the usual wear & tear items. "Minor repairs" have already started to add up and have all been covered without fuss. For example, the front hood release button stopped working. It looks like a $5 item but is almost $200. Add an hour labor and there's $300. Another "minor" item is the airbag warning light which came on last week. Turns out there's on open circuit on the passenger side and it can't be reset. Could need a whole new airbag. Either way, they'll give me a loaner and told me they may need to keep the car for three days since they "have to start taking the car apart" to find out what's going on. This has $500 to $1000 written all over it imo but is covered too.

Potentially, the cost of my policy may have been 75% recovered from two lousy nuisance repairs three months after I bought it.

Quick Reply: Should I extend my warranty?????