Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dfi motor carbon build up possible

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:18 AM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive it harder. Many with 997.2 have noticed that sooty deposits at the exhaust tips turns to a light grey or almost invisible residue after track events.

I have noticed big clouds of black soot out the back of my wifes DFI Cayenne V8 when i drop the hammer on it.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:01 PM
johnny goose
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Since you are very familiar, is 9A1 totally different than the Cayenne DFI too?

I just came across these:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...-good-buy.html

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...t=carbon+build
yup this is intresting info we have to keep on eye on this motors dfi will b a problem in late high milege cars...the only slution is pulling the heads and cleaning them..
Old 03-20-2010, 02:10 PM
johnny goose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ADias
This has been debated to death. BMW and Audi DFI engines are radically different. The 9A1 DFI has a new head design and chances are intake gunk may not be an issue. None has been reported in 9A1 engines w/ 50k+ miles so far.

BTW... the issue is not carbon buildup. The potential gunk accumulation behind intake valves is not hard carbon deposits. If it will occur... it is soft oily gunk that can be cleaned with a Top Engine cleaner.

The funny thing is that the posters with a sky-is-falling concern seem to be 997.1 owners. I wonder why?
whats new about them..dfi is a problem not the head designs..unless porsche somehow posistiond the injecters in a diff location there will be gunk on the intake side of the valve no matter what heads they use..because the injecter is in the piston track and not been sprayed in the intake like port injection..
Old 03-20-2010, 03:12 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny goose
whats new about them..dfi is a problem not the head designs..unless porsche somehow posistiond the injecters in a diff location there will be gunk on the intake side of the valve no matter what heads they use..because the injecter is in the piston track and not been sprayed in the intake like port injection..
It looks like you begin to see the light. Weissach is not stupid. It probably designed those Audi engines and learned from them. The geometry of the injector and intake valve on the 9A1 is quite telling.

And no... no need to pull heads to clean intake tract. A simple Top Engine treatment will do.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:15 PM
johnny goose
Intermediate

It looks like you begin to see the light. Weissach is not stupid. It probably designed those Audi engines and learned from them. The geometry of the injector and intake valve on the 9A1 is quite telling.

And no... no need to pull heads to clean intake tract. A simple Top Engine treatment will do.
how is this treatment done..i guess sprayin it in threw the throttle body will the engine is been gased..
Old 03-20-2010, 07:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

how is this treatment done..i guess sprayin it in threw the throttle body will the engine is been gased..
It's injected through a vacuum hose. Please note that I am not recommending this treatment as I know no 9A1 engine with such problem. The treatment is easy and it's available should it be necessary. I find it funny that this issue is only raised by non 997.2 (9A1 engine) owners. I know no one owning the new DFI 911s reporting any issues. None.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:13 PM
johnny goose
Intermediate

It's injected through a vacuum hose. Please note that I am not recommending this treatment as I know no 9A1 engine with such problem. The treatment is easy and it's available should it be necessary. I find it funny that this issue is only raised by non 997.2 (9A1 engine) owners. I know no one owning the new DFI 911s reporting any issues. None.
whats so funny about it its a forum we can talk about what ever we want..and there are plenty of non 997.2 porchse owners with dfi that search on here..and they have serious carbon issues...
Old 03-20-2010, 09:33 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

whats so funny about it its a forum we can talk about what ever we want..and there are plenty of non 997.2 porchse owners with dfi that search on here..and they have serious carbon issues...
Please post examples of specific 997.2 DFI cars w/ 'serious carbon issues'.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:52 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

How can anyone post any carbon issue when most owners do not drive enough miles/year?
May have to wait 5 years to determine if its a problem or not.....after P warranty expires.
abe
Old 03-20-2010, 10:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Abe: I agree with you but there are already several high mileage 997.2 I know of with no issues. This seems to me to be a ghost chase which seems to be a common sport.

There are known DFI issues wit BMW and Audi but the 9A1 engines are different and their heads have a different design. It is one thing to identify a real problem and debate it, it is another thing to speculate about a ghost.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:47 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can talk about whatever you want as long as we are crystal clear to separate rumor and speculation from facts.

You seem to be intent on creating a problem where none exists (on Porsche's). And I am perplexed on why you would want to do that? I call bull**** on your claim: "and they have serious carbon issues". That is a bald faced lie.

I am pulling the Troll Alert alarm...
Old 03-20-2010, 11:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll add this one to the list...
Old 03-20-2010, 11:44 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I a curious too. My 997.2 has been perfect although I have only 12,000 miles and one year on it. Other than an oil change and winter wheel/tire swap, no visits to the dealer for any reason. Oops no, I forgot., the Porsche logo fell off my key. Excess carbon perhaps?
Old 03-21-2010, 12:14 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had nasty sludge on the tops of my intake valves from using crappy gasoline. I'll be using Chevron with Techron from here forward.

Oh wait, mine's a non-DFI V8... never mind.

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 05-22-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:44 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Abe: I agree with you but there are already several high mileage 997.2 I know of with no issues. This seems to me to be a ghost chase which seems to be a common sport.

There are known DFI issues wit BMW and Audi but the 9A1 engines are different and their heads have a different design. It is one thing to identify a real problem and debate it, it is another thing to speculate about a ghost.
Well, you know of only two, which isn't too many vs. hundreds of Audi/BMWs with DFI and high mielage. The VW DFI patent actually states clearly that carbon deposit is an issue.

However, I agree with you that this is a non-issue for 997.2 right now, either due to the fact there's not enough cars with high milage, or, becuase of the new head design.

Quick Reply: dfi motor carbon build up possible