Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dfi motor carbon build up possible

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 01:27 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Does Porsche's DFI system have a special "starting" injector..?? If so its use intermittently could/might serve to "wash" the EGR and crankcase ventilation deposits away.

As I said before DFI use is only critical at or near WOT when the effective compression ratio actually approaches 12:1. At all other times an occasional "squirt" or two from the "starting" enrichment injector(s) would do the "trick".
Old 03-21-2010, 01:29 PM
johnny goose
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow u guys are very sensitive...carbon issue is a huge problem on all dfi motors im not saying that the the porsche 997.2 is def going to get it but look at previos post some one posted a 2008 caymen porsche with serious intake carbon...that car cant have more then a few miles..i hope the 997.2 is fixed because its a possable car i could be gettin..this whole post was to raise awarness on how people can fight it if comes about...from previous audi and porsche caymen post.never said porsche 997.2 is def getting carbon issues some people just over react..
Old 03-21-2010, 01:36 PM
johnny goose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by savyboy
You can talk about whatever you want as long as we are crystal clear to separate rumor and speculation from facts.

You seem to be intent on creating a problem where none exists (on Porsche's). And I am perplexed on why you would want to do that? I call bull**** on your claim: "and they have serious carbon issues". That is a bald faced lie.

I am pulling the Troll Alert alarm...
what am i trolling about and when did i say 997.2 def have a problem..
Old 03-21-2010, 01:41 PM
johnny goose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ADias
Please post examples of specific 997.2 DFI cars w/ 'serious carbon issues'.
never said 997.2 have serious issues....did u not see the word non in front off 997.2
Old 03-21-2010, 01:46 PM
johnny goose
Intermediate

if u do a search u will see that various NON....PORSCHE 997.2 have some issues..
Old 03-21-2010, 01:53 PM
johnny goose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alexb76
Well, you know of only two, which isn't too many vs. hundreds of Audi/BMWs with DFI and high mielage. The VW DFI patent actually states clearly that carbon deposit is an issue.

However, I agree with you that this is a non-issue for 997.2 right now, either due to the fact there's not enough cars with high milage, or, becuase of the new head design.
thats all i wanted this post to be about how out there with other companys and some early model porsches with dfi that have some serious issues.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:52 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

http://books.google.com/books?id=xWD...lation&f=false
Old 04-01-2010, 10:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

For the record: photo of my car exhaust - 997.2S PDK, 2200 miles. No soot.

Last edited by ADias; 04-02-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
For the record: photo of my car exhaust - 997.2S PDK, 2200 miles.

Only 2200 miles...Oh you need to get out and drive more my friend!

My solution to the carbon soot issue is more track events. My exhaust is super clean after a track weekend! I will be back to the track in 2 weeks! YES!
Old 04-02-2010, 06:49 PM
goinpostol
Track Day

FWIW- I am new to the world of Porsche, but spent 4 years in sales at a high volume BMW dealer and am familiar with the DFI isuues being debated. BMW found that the problems were less frequent if customers used top tier fuel with a guaranteed detergent level. The list of top tier providers is a simple search away, and this is a very easy way to help in eliminating the issue.
I just spent a few days with various Porsche NA corporate folks (we are a new dealer) and asked lots of questions, one of which was about build up due to DFI. I was told that it has not become an issue. Porsche test all of their new technologies for hundreds of thousands of miles before they ever see a production car, so I would rest at ease...
Old 04-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by goinpostol
FWIW- I am new to the world of Porsche, but spent 4 years in sales at a high volume BMW dealer and am familiar with the DFI isuues being debated. BMW found that the problems were less frequent if customers used top tier fuel with a guaranteed detergent level. The list of top tier providers is a simple search away, and this is a very easy way to help in eliminating the issue.
I just spent a few days with various Porsche NA corporate folks (we are a new dealer) and asked lots of questions, one of which was about build up due to DFI. I was told that it has not become an issue. Porsche test all of their new technologies for hundreds of thousands of miles before they ever see a production car, so I would rest at ease...
Maybe. Remember the M96 engine was new technology at one point and we all know -- some unfortunate souls more than others -- this technology over the long term proved to not be as good as we had hoped.

I do agree using a quality gasoline will help keep the engine cleaner.

However, part of the problem is at least with the PDK equipped cars is the PDK shift maps are tuned so the car does well in the Euro emissions/CO2/fuel economy tests. To do well, the tranmission is set up to shift up to the next gear at a very low rpm.

While this helps the car obtain very good numbers, for most drivers it means the engine will barely break 2K rpms. Operating the engine at this low engine speed consistently can contribute to engine deposits forming.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Just like other companies, Porsche has had it's share of problems from designs that were not adequately tested. eg. rubber center clutches, windows not adequately held in place, moving from 2.4 to 2.7 liter engines in the mid 70s was a disaster as the cooling system was not improved, the original composite rotors were a disaster. The rear suspensions on earlier Porsches could kill you in a corner on the older models.......need I continue?
Old 04-03-2010, 01:16 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Macster
Maybe. Remember the M96 engine was new technology at one point and we all know -- some unfortunate souls more than others -- this technology over the long term proved to not be as good as we had hoped.

I do agree using a quality gasoline will help keep the engine cleaner.

However, part of the problem is at least with the PDK equipped cars is the PDK shift maps are tuned so the car does well in the Euro emissions/CO2/fuel economy tests. To do well, the tranmission is set up to shift up to the next gear at a very low rpm.

While this helps the car obtain very good numbers, for most drivers it means the engine will barely break 2K rpms. Operating the engine at this low engine speed consistently can contribute to engine deposits forming.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Correct! For my own driving I do not consider the PDK an auto and I drive it most of the time in manual and rarely bring the engine below 2kRPM.

The only time I drive the PDK in Auto (Sport) is in fast twisty spirited drives, where the RPMs are up due to the driving style and D mode is almost telepathic, choosing gears and downshifting when braking.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:18 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Just like other companies, Porsche has had it's share of problems from designs that were not adequately tested. eg. rubber center clutches, windows not adequately held in place, moving from 2.4 to 2.7 liter engines in the mid 70s was a disaster as the cooling system was not improved, the original composite rotors were a disaster. The rear suspensions on earlier Porsches could kill you in a corner on the older models.......need I continue?
I would not be so dramatic and do not agree with the last one. The suspension design did not kill anyone, bad drivers did. To drive well a '67 911S is a thing of beauty.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:01 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I think we are, Postal. The ones who actually have a DFI car that is. All this discussion of "bound to be a problem" seems to come from people who don't have a 997.2. None of us with one have reported a problem, and we don't expect one. For about the same reasons you cite. Our dealers have also reported knowing nothing of any problems with a 911 DFI engine, so we appreciate your confirmation. But I don't expect it to change the wailing from people who have 997.1's or earlier models and are convincing themselves we buyers of the 997.2 at historic discounts are going to be burned. Somehow. If this doesn't work out, they believe it surely will be oil consumption. (ADias and I aren't bitching. I don't remember whether any other DFI owner has complained of that.) If that doesn't show up as worse than any other boxer engine, I'm sure they'll start to tell us our upholstery is bound to rot early.

I'm just enjoying the hell out of my 997.2, and sleeping just fine despite all the jabber about my grapes in the garage souring overnight.

Gary

Quick Reply: dfi motor carbon build up possible