Sponsored by:

Porsche takes top spot for long term reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 02:33 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
33k on my dd '05 with no issues whatsoever. Unless you count the clock slowing a few seconds each week. Love the car. I do believe we tend to take care of our cars and are a bit more involved. As an example, I know who to apply the breaks.

Cheers
Put it on a battery tender or perhaps get a new battery
Old 03-19-2010, 10:38 AM
mkaresh
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt JD Power's VDS was a consideration when Porsche decided to have the Cayenne skip the 2007 model year, though I suppose it's a possibility.

I just think they should have asterisked the result by noting that Porsche's best-selling, least reliable model was not in the survey. As it is, some people are going to buy Cayenne's based on this #1 ranking.

Frankly, I'm against brand scores in general, since there's really no point to them if a model score is available. There's always quite a bit of variation from model to model within a brand. Did you buy your Porsche because of how the average Porsche performs, of because of how it performs?
Old 03-19-2010, 11:32 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
odd that there seem to be so many complaints about the survey - maybe we're just an **** bunch.

it's very interesting that there was no 2007 cayenne - very tricky indeed

as for me, i'll take the #1 ranking and not complain about it. every manufacturer here is playing the same game. you can't solely judge by miles, either. some vehicles are in stop and go traffic, some tow things, some are very high performance, some are 30 year old technology that will be very reliable no matter what you do to it because it's not pushing the envelope on new technology or efficiency....
I was very worried when I bought my Porsche, as I know repairs are expensive as hell, and it would soon be out of warranty. At $1000+ for even simple dealer repairs, made a big difference to me whether it was as reliable as a toyota/honda you can keep going for a $10 junkyard part and some bailing wire, or a garage-loving piece of junk like every Dodge my dad keeps buying. I did lots of charts and number-crunching to try to justify the cost of such a splurge car, and reliability was a big factor in the decision.

So, yeah, reliability like this matters. Bugatti sucks at it, Porsche excels. Maybe not so important for those who can afford a brand new Porsche that's covered under warranty, but it's incredibly useful in the used market where those costs all fall back on us. Also note: this helps your resale value.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mkaresh
Yes, it's the third year of ownership, so not exactly "long term."

The real question: how they fare after the 4/50 warranty expires.

I conduct a car reliability survey that updates quarterly and tracks cars continuously as they age. Not covering the 911 yet because need more owners signed up. So I'm grateful that Rennlist has provided permission to post about the survey.

Details here:

Car reliability research
Agreed. That and the changes in the design always reset the game. By the time you find out the 997.2 is a rock solid design 6 years down the road in 2015, you will no longer be able to buy a new 997.2, but could buy a used one that you don't know exactly what the first owners did to it. Its always that cat and mouse game. However, tracking the trend of a manufacturer's cars reliability and repairs for vehicles 5-20 years old, THAT would be of interest. These should be treated more like medical studies where we need to follow patients for a LONG time before publishing findings. I expect (maybe wrongly) all new cars to work well and reliably for the first 5 years without any major issue that isn't obvious in the first year (to allow you to discover some manufacturing defect that may be season dependent).
Old 03-19-2010, 07:25 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Major problems are rare these days. Something like the IMS failures does not happen with many cars. Some cars have more minor problems than others, though. We're finding that the average for cars within the warranty period is about one repair trip for every two cars every year. Some cars have 2+, so the odds of having no repairs, not even a minor one, in a given year are nearly two in three.

I don't think many people realize this. Which is one of the reasons for my survey.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:37 PM
porker999
5th Gear

I have a 2008 911 C2S cab. I leased it in Dec, of '07 and purchased it in Dec.'11.

It now has 45K miles. At the time of purchase, the dealership tried to get me to purchase an aftermarket warranty for about 5K for 3 years. The only things that had failed on the car were an unexpected failure of the water pump (bearing) which was covered under warranty and the right electric window regulator programming, also covered under warranty.

All oil changes, tire replacements, etc., were performed per the owners manual. At the time of purchase, I had been paying appx. $1500/month on the lease

Rather than buy the aftermarket warranty, I decided to open a dedicated savings account for possible future repairs and continued putting the $1500/month I had been paying for the lease into this account instead. Currently I have appx. $40K in the account and other than buying new tires and having a 4-wheel alignment and routine oil changes, I haven't had to spend any of that money on repairs.

I have decided to stop putting this $1500/month into it at this point, having enough to pretty much pay fpr any repair.

These cars ARE reliable, albeit Consumer Reports lists the 2007-2008 911 as a "Used Car to Avoid" in it's latest (April 2013 "Car") issue. Why I don't know.

In the last year they showed the 911 in the reliability ratings survey, it got an 'Excellen't" rating. This year, the 911 is absent from the ratings, although the Boxster is still rated
But my car has needed virtually no repairs and instead of an expired aftermarket warranty, I now have $$ to spend if needed.

If it's true that money talks (and BS walks!) mine is yelling: " RELIABLE!!

Buy your Porsche and enjoy it. Get at least a mid to late 80's model if possible as rust problems were pretty much solved by that time in most cars.

Porsche uses a double-dip galvanizing process and despite all- year round use in areas that use salt on the roads I have seen ZERO rust on mine. (Of course, I do wash the car regularly!)

Best of luck with your new Porsche purchase. Just be sure to get a careful PPI.

\(^@^)
Old 03-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why people buy a Porsche and then spend all their time agonizing over possible problems that are blown way out of proportion on these sites is interesting to say the least. Can't afford the repairs don't but one. If you can't enjoy the car because the potential repair bills keep you awake at night, don't buy one. Not a must have item. These are expensive toys that nobody really needs. They aren't race cars nor are they particularly practical as your only source of transportion. They are a terrible investment. But, they are a great deal of fun to drive and if you can afford the price of admission, they offer an unique ownership experience.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Based on my 06 997 & Cayenne N.F.W.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:00 AM
mkaresh
Racer

Originally Posted by Chaos
Based on JD Power's VDS, you bought one model year too early
Old 03-18-2013, 12:57 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jakeman
With only 13K mi on my 2007 car, it ought to be reliable...
I agree. I've noted the strong reliability ratings over the years. However, the vast majority of these cars seem to have such low mileage the results could be misleading
Old 03-19-2013, 02:18 PM
jeffrec
Racer

I wholeheartedly agree with porker999 and dadio. Far too often I let the many postings I read on Rennlist make me overthink what I am doing, what I am not doing, what I need to do, etc regarding my Porsche ownership. I need to spend more time behind the wheel enjoying the unique driving experience that only a Porsche can bring and less time watching it sit in the garage worried about the mileage, wear, and tear. Afterall, unless I plan to keep the car until it becomes a antique/classic all I am doing is saving the fun for the next owner. Oh and for the record, I am also a Consumer Reports freak and was taken back by the used cars to avoid comments. The only thing that comes to mind is the IMS bearing issue. Drive on!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 04:16 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
This is why rankings by most popular models would be really great.

Most sales are from Panamera and Cayenne.

The Boxsters, Caymans, Carreras and GT2/3 (small part of sales) sit quietly in the garage until Sunday.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:54 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Also Porsche owners love their cars so much (because they are so fun to drive) that they tend to be more forgiving with minor issues.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 AM
mkaresh
Racer

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
Also Porsche owners love their cars so much (because they are so fun to drive) that they tend to be more forgiving with minor issues.
This can cut both ways. Some owners, because they are so into the car, pay more attention to minor issues.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:19 AM
PCC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dadio
Why people buy a Porsche and then spend all their time agonizing over possible problems that are blown way out of proportion on these sites is interesting to say the least. Can't afford the repairs don't but one. If you can't enjoy the car because the potential repair bills keep you awake at night, don't buy one. Not a must have item. These are expensive toys that nobody really needs. They aren't race cars nor are they particularly practical as your only source of transportion. They are a terrible investment. But, they are a great deal of fun to drive and if you can afford the price of admission, they offer an unique ownership experience.
Not exactly warm & fuzzy (which I appreciate) but well stated and entirely correct.

Quick Reply: Porsche takes top spot for long term reliability