Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drive it until the wheels fall off..

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:53 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am keeping mine 05 C2S until they bury me. I might get another one, but it will be in addition to not in place of.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 31 Posts

Same as everyone else, I plan on keeping the club coupe for a while, bought extended 5 years warranty on it. The car has more than enough power for daily use, looks good (and unique color), comfortable to drive. Any newer 911 will be slightly faster but it is speed that I don't need for daily use. I use to always want a 911 turbo but no more desire since I have the club coupe. No point in trading car and take a big loss is one major reason too.

As for the upcoming GT3RS, the current plan is just to keep it until it breaks down. I will never have driving skills to outrun its capability, so selling the RS for something else is nonsense to me.

However, if I won the lottery, then I take back everything that I've said...
Old 03-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by sharmat
100K and 10 Years?
Is that factory warranty or aftermarket?
I thought the most you could have was 100k/6yrs through the factory
Please explain.
At the time of purchase I chose an aftermarket policy associated with Porsche "Easy Care." Takes me to 100,000 miles and a total of ten years.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:32 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny goose
i was just thinking how many people are buying keeping there 997.1 and 997.2 and keeping them for the long hall..i personally would get attached to my car when i get it and would do light modding as the years turn to freshen it up a little ...what are your thoughts
I intend to keep it until the next genereation comes out, which I think is a 998. However if the new generation comes out in under 3 years, I will wait a little. I plan on buying a Turbo next. If I find myself not in the same financial position at that time, I will hold onto her till the time is right!
Old 03-18-2010, 02:49 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I plan to keep mine long term - 8 to 10 years.

I have problems with attachment, and ask any Buddhist and they'll tell you it is a source of pain/suffering. I see their point, and I'd probably be happier with a GT3 or PDK turbo, but I'm just so attached to my current 997S.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:44 PM
alain-964c2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove my 1971 911S bought in in 1980 for 6 years, and trade it in for Audi 5000 Wagon when my son was born.

I had my 964 C2 for over 10 years and 150k+ miles when it was replaced by an almost new 03 C4S sold by a locked out Bruins player.

Two years later, we needed to buy a new family car, and in a moment of clear insanity traded the beautiful 03-C4s (pic attached) for an E500-4Matic. Almost immediately, I regretted the trade.

I am in the process of buying either an 06 or 07 C4 or C4s and will keep that car for a very long time or until give it to aforementioned son and trade the E500 for a Panamera.
Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2010, 04:03 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
At the time of purchase I chose an aftermarket policy associated with Porsche "Easy Care." Takes me to 100,000 miles and a total of ten years.
Dan,

What are your thoughts on the "Easy Care" warranty?

I just called and spoke with them yesterday.

I am weighing the option of buying an extended warranty or just
self insuring for the future repairs.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:56 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the process for buying an extended warranty?????? I was told that it wasn't available at the time of purchase?????
Old 03-18-2010, 05:06 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What can be done to increase tire life?? Any aftermarket suspension parts available to relieve camber or whatever to make 'over the road' miles less abrasive on the inside of the rubber/?? I'm willing to give up performance for longevity of the tires...
Old 03-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Owned my first Porsche for 15 years, the second for 8 and the third for 2. Planning to reverse that trend and keep my '09 C2S for a long time; it's just simply a great car that I optioned exactly as I wanted it, so no regrets.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I plan on driving it until it falls apart, mainly because I'm not one of those that needs to have a new car every few years.

But life experience has shown that what this really means is I'll drive it until some other moron slams into me and totals it.

My previous attempts at reaching 150k miles on a car were ended when:
1) A student in his parents 80's vintage Mercedes Benz missed that I was slowing and had turn signal on to turn into parking lot on 35mph campus road and proceeded to push my car another 20 yards up the road, never braking until after impact. Crushed the rear structure of my 1st car.

2) Moron 20-something dropped his cell phone while driving and went to retrieve it while in motion, down hill, in a curve, at night... and proceeded to cross the double yellow line and come at me head on at 40mph, with me going 40mph up the hill. I managed to swerve at the last second when I realized (in the curve) that that moron was indeed on my side of the road and still drifting further across (already fully in my lane and going toward my right shoulder.. must have still had his head under the steering wheel digging for the cell phone). But not quick enough, he impacted the passengers side headlight and crushed the passengers side quarter panel, snapped the wheel axel/cv joint, bent the wheel and totally bent the frame of the car.

However, I may well just start carrying my 9mm in the car and so when the next moron totals my car due to their absolute stupidity, I'll just get out and shoot them in the face.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:49 PM
johnny goose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Minok
I plan on driving it until it falls apart, mainly because I'm not one of those that needs to have a new car every few years.

But life experience has shown that what this really means is I'll drive it until some other moron slams into me and totals it.

My previous attempts at reaching 150k miles on a car were ended when:
1) A student in his parents 80's vintage Mercedes Benz missed that I was slowing and had turn signal on to turn into parking lot on 35mph campus road and proceeded to push my car another 20 yards up the road, never braking until after impact. Crushed the rear structure of my 1st car.

2) Moron 20-something dropped his cell phone while driving and went to retrieve it while in motion, down hill, in a curve, at night... and proceeded to cross the double yellow line and come at me head on at 40mph, with me going 40mph up the hill. I managed to swerve at the last second when I realized (in the curve) that that moron was indeed on my side of the road and still drifting further across (already fully in my lane and going toward my right shoulder.. must have still had his head under the steering wheel digging for the cell phone). But not quick enough, he impacted the passengers side headlight and crushed the passengers side quarter panel, snapped the wheel axel/cv joint, bent the wheel and totally bent the frame of the car.

However, I may well just start carrying my 9mm in the car and so when the next moron totals my car due to their absolute stupidity, I'll just get out and shoot them in the face.
sorry to hear about the morons..lol i feel ur going to have better luck with this one..
Old 03-18-2010, 07:51 PM
johnny goose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I have always had a tendency to keep my Porsches for many years and a lot of miles. Usually I sell them when they have 125,000 miles or more on them. (One reason I got the 100,000 mile ten year coverage).
can u get warranty like this on a cpo car..
Old 03-18-2010, 07:55 PM
johnny goose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wwilliams88
Long haul here as well. I typically keep cars until they exceed 100K miles. In the case of the Carrera I'm going for 150K plus, even if I have to replace the engine and/or transmission at some point. Resale value was never a factor in buying the car.
this is what im takin about .. agreed the only thing is if the parts are goin to break down we replace them with stronger parts..
Old 03-18-2010, 08:04 PM
johnny goose
Intermediate

after driving the new carrera s that is more then enough car for me to take out on the weekends ..cant wait to own this car and hold onto it forever..porsche has been making great cars for a long time..i believe the 997 will follow.. i dnt care what goes wrong with the car it will get fixed with stronger parts...does sharkwerks make a 3.9 for this car..

Quick Reply: drive it until the wheels fall off..