Cracked block on a 05 C2S.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:39 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Love to see the DME readout on this.
Over revs would have nothing to do with the cracked cylinders. Over revs damage valve trains and con rods, possibly cranks. Cylinders don't rotate.

Any chance the block was the victim of a hard freeze?

I'd guess either that or it's a defective block.

Maybe it had a slow head gasket leak. You said car was parked for a while. While car sat, head slowly leaked coolant into cylinders. When you then cranked it over with said coolant in cyl it hydro-locked and cracked two cylinders.

Phil
Old 03-17-2010, 12:40 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Over revs would have nothing to do with the cracked cylinders. Over revs damage valve trains and con rods, possibly cranks. Cylinders don't rotate.

Any chance the block was the victim of a hard freeze?

I'd guess either that or it's a defective block.

Maybe it had a slow head gasket leak. You said car was parked for a while. While car sat, head slowly leaked coolant into cylinders. When you then cranked it over with said coolant in cyl it hydro-locked and cracked two cylinders.

Phil

The month that it sat we had some temps in the mid 20's. At those temps you need about the same ratio of coolant to water as vermouth to gin in a dry martini to keep it from freezing.

Hydro-lock sounds like a likely culprit. but at this point there is no way to tell.

What really sux is that I needed to rebuild the calipers on my track car before the DE at TWS this weekend and I've had to use it to get back and forth to work so that didn't get done.

We will be escalating this. Or ,in the immortal words of John Paul Jones, "I have not yet begun to fight"
Old 03-17-2010, 01:03 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin
The month that it sat we had some temps in the mid 20's. At those temps you need about the same ratio of coolant to water as vermouth to gin in a dry martini to keep it from freezing.

Hydro-lock sounds like a likely culprit. but at this point there is no way to tell.

What really sux is that I needed to rebuild the calipers on my track car before the DE at TWS this weekend and I've had to use it to get back and forth to work so that didn't get done.

We will be escalating this. Or ,in the immortal words of John Paul Jones, "I have not yet begun to fight"
Hey Paul... just trying to clarify what EXACTLY did they say about your situation?

1. This kind of damage is NOT covered under CPO because of section x.y in CPO paper work
2. This kind of damage is NOT covered under CPO due to engine abuse/tracking/DME , etc...
3. Flat out denied the claim at dealer without proper explanation?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2010, 01:19 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Originally Posted by alexb76
Hey Paul... just trying to clarify what EXACTLY did they say about your situation?

1. This kind of damage is NOT covered under CPO because of section x.y in CPO paper work
2. This kind of damage is NOT covered under CPO due to engine abuse/tracking/DME , etc...
3. Flat out denied the claim at dealer without proper explanation?

Thanks
They really haven't given me an official answer yet. I was about to make that phone call.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

That looks a lot like the d chunk failures seen on the sleeved 996/986 engines.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:28 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Originally Posted by Fahrer
That looks a lot like the d chunk failures seen on the sleeved 996/986 engines.
What was that? any info might help in the warranty negotiations
Old 03-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin
What was that? any info might help in the warranty negotiations
Check out the LN Engineering website and look at "Nickies". I am not sure if it is directly related but worth a look. Good luck!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Has your Ex been driving the car recently?
Old 03-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by MLindgren
Have you tried 1-800-PORSCHE to try and get some help? They are pretty fair and responsive based on my experience.
Since the buy out by VW it's been my understanding that they are running a much leaner ship now. Thus, they will attempt to duck around as many of these issues as they can. Best of luck. It looks like it's their responsibility, or it will certainly get out on the street that these cars have a finite life--and it's not that high.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:41 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Since the buy out by VW it's been my understanding that they are running a much leaner ship now. Thus, they will attempt to duck around as many of these issues as they can. Best of luck. It looks like it's their responsibility, or it will certainly get out on the street that these cars have a finite life--and it's not that high.
Dan, you are correct here, but alas, we know how much impact that had on forcing Porsche to remedy D-chunk and IMS "death rattle" issues on 996 cars that were out of warranty.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:13 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

pmgoodwin, man I really hate this for you...it really stinks! 55k miles is not all that much. Please keep us informed with what Porsche says.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:47 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Paul, was the car stored outside in the rain during that month it was parked.

I've heard of 996's that got parked out in heavy downpours that had front trunk flooding that got sucked up by the brake master cylinder vacuum line. Water gets ingested by engine, pistons hydro-lock and crack the cylinders.

Check the front trunk for signs of moisture.

Any word from Porsche on this yet?

Phil
Old 03-18-2010, 01:53 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Any word from Porsche on this yet?

Phil
Paul said the dealer said most likely PCNA will cover this.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:10 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Well that is good news. They definitely should.

Paul: In case you need ammo, below is a pdf file on the general reasons for cylinder cracks. The article is comprehensive and dense. Probably best to read the entire thing; but for the cracked cylinder info start in at page 8. Note that the article is for M96 Porsche 3.4L to 3.6L engines - But M97 engines use the Lokasil cylinder liners (p.10) so the info re same should be applicable (the GT1 block still uses Nikasil, IIRC) - heres TMI on the Lokasil liners [ http://www.kspg-ag.de/pdfdoc/kspg_pr..._casting_e.pdf ]. I think then that the asserted reasons for the cracks should be applicable in a general sense. If PCNA starts trouble a good independent with this info and experience (Jake Raby, maybe) could help possibly. Hopefully, however, you will not need this. GL..

Link: http://www.hartech.org/docs/buyers%2...20part%204.pdf
Old 03-18-2010, 11:34 AM
pmgoodwin
Racer

in an earlier post Fahrer mentioned the D-chunk so I did a little surfing and found lots of pictures that could have been my car. Cello just gave me more ammo. So I'm just gathering info at the moment.

I heard yesterday that there was hope that it would be covered. So we'll see.

My ex never drove the car even before she was ex.

Paul

Quick Reply: Cracked block on a 05 C2S.