Sponsored by:

Venture Shield install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:51 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Venture Shield install question

Had a full front Venture Shield bra installed on my 3 week old meteor gray 997. I choose the Venture Shield for its lack of orange peel and sheet width so the full hood could be covered. I had 3M installed on the bumper of my last car (about 6 years ago) and never liked the orange peel and endured the hood and front fenders collecting chips anyway. Did some installer research and picked a shop that was well recommended (on the web) and the guy seemed experienced and confident about doing a full custom install on my brand new vehicle.
Well…dropped the car off and picked it up later that day. It was parked outside in the sun, and as I walked up to it I first thought perhaps he didn’t get to it - the Venture Shield is very clear an shiny! As I got closer I began to see swirls in the hood, so I knew something was different. The installer walked out and seemed quite proud of his work. As I closely inspected the install, I did note all of the edges and gaps were precisely cut. I mentioned the swirls to him and he said he could “buff them out” after the film cured. Further examination revealed several marks within the film on nearly every piece including the major hood and fender pieces. The installer dismissed them as not significant and said that they would disappear as the film cured. I’ve since done more research, and I would say they are more likely stretch marks and adhesive issues that aren’t going anywhere ever!
I guess what I’m asking is what level of perfection should I expect and demand? Since this is a brand new vehicle, the paint which looked great at any distance now has some clear film issues visible from about 5’. The casual observer from 10' or more would still consider the car “perfect” and likely not even notice the flaws. I understand the challenges of this install and the work was certainly respectable, just not “perfect”. I am also skeptical about his buffing out those swirls.
Am I being overly **** or should I be demanding a redo or refund? Some of the install pics posted here look absolutely perfect, and I could certainly find angles where my install would appear perfect in a digital picture...
Old 03-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Photos would help us to get on board with you. I know capturing the flaws in a photo can be difficult, but try.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

As Edgy01 mentioned, take some photos and put them up here so we can see what is going on.
Spectra PhotoSync IRD - Highest heat blocking window film in industry
Authorized Modesta and Nanolex Dealer

Checkout our Youtube Channel!
Premier's Youtube

B: 510-623-1308
42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA 94538
sales@premiermobilegroup.com
http://www.facebook.com/premierprotectivefilms

Old 03-14-2010, 05:07 PM
tejoe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you know, VS has a lifetime warranty and advertises "Invisable". Further, everyone stresses that the installer is the key, regardless of which film you are using, and it sure sounds like an over-stretch problem. So.......you should not have to jump through hoops . Below find a comment from the Corvette forum in January:

"Had VS installed in early 2005 and absolutely no problems...but key is the skill of the installer (another Vette driver I know has VS installed but installer was a hack...totally crap look since film was overworked and stretched). Most pleasant comment by someone is they did not even know my Vette had a clear bra. "
Old 03-14-2010, 11:10 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

The fact that it bothers you tells me that it is not a perfect job. I just had a full car wrapped in ventureshield done by Metropolitan detail. It is absolutely flawless even from 2 inches you cant tell that there is a film over the paint. No cuts on the paint. No wrinkles, swirls or stretch marks on the clearbra. The marks you see on the film could be fingerprints, trapped dirt or excessive stretch marks from the adhesive getting distorted by a mediocre installation job. Site sponsor Premier(the best in this business) can easily diagnose the problem for you if you can post the pictures. The swirl marks are probably from a final clean up job done using a cheap microfiber towel and could probably be buffed out by the least abrasive polish. I will personally not tolerate anything but a near perfect job on my car. Show us the pictures, if they are bad I would demand a reinstall and if its not that bad but nowhere near perfect then may be ask for a 15 to 20 % discount.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:20 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

The VS install on my meteor gray 2009 has only one small bubble caused by a piece of lint. Also, it is very hard to make a proper fit around the front bumper radius and I have one area where there is a linear distortion. That is all on a full front kit! Otherwise, you can't see the shield. From what I have seen, you cannot remove swirls or scuffs from the material. I hit a cardboard box on the freeway and it scuffed my VS cover on the bumper. I have tried everything to remove it with no luck. But, it is better than damaged paint!!
Old 05-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Marco0355
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is interesting, identical write up but using a different make and colour:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361062
Old 05-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marco0355
This is interesting, identical write up but using a different make and colour: