Sponsored by:

new wheel and tire question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:04 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
.... I would have stuck with 18s on my C2S for the street and saved a few $.
That's what I did - my car came with 19s and I had them swap to the 18s and give me a credit back on the difference before I picked it up. I know I am an oddball, but I preferred the look of the 18 wheels anyway - maybe I was just used to that look after reading though the 2009 997 model brochure and dreaming about my car.

I will say if 18s made any difference in ride comfort, it is not enough to worry over or not for me to have noticed in my comparison test drives. I was hoping to make the car less "hostile" to passengers (like my wife ). Had I been used to the 911 bumpy ride anyway, I may have picked up on a difference, but coming from a BMW, its a bumpy ride no matter what - no complaints from the wife though, so I'm good!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:36 PM
rpalomo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered the the OZ ultraleggara in 19's with Nitto Invo Tires. the Rears will be 305/30/19, which is a good amount of rubber. I defintley will take everyones advice and stay away from the 20. I know what some people are thinking that I? should be sticking to 18 but if I do need a track I will keep the 18's and besides that is why I have my Lotus for.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:09 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rpalomo
What did you do? click on this thread just to say your piece? Talk about too much time in your hands. Maybe the lazy part is a wrong assumption and time is an issue since I want to move rather quickly on this but whatever it is, if u have the time to answer in such a way maybe you can answer the question instead.
Starting the thread is still a form of research. it is a way of doing a more thorough research. Ofcourse i am still running other searches but in addition, this thread has been started incase I miss anything. Hope that is simple enough for you.
You don't wanna start this debate with me

I was also new to 997 back this summer, but before I started posting completely basic questions and have others do the work for me, I learned as much as I could do on my own and then validated my findings instead of asking DOES 18" fit my car! COME ON! Are you kidding me?

Just so you know, people were extremely gracious and kind here to answer your questions... if you were on other forums they would have completely flamed you for opening this thread.

There's a sticky, please read it. I am not gonna spend time here teaching you how to use a forum properly.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:43 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Alexb76, instead of bashing, let's get back on topic, eh? I did my part as moderator explaining the search function early on in this thread - did you miss it?
Old 03-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

In order to find the full answer you have to really dig into old posts (of mine) and you'll find that the 997 is not designed around the 19" format, rather the 18, which is why the C2 and C2S come with 18, why 18 is the snow wheel / tire size for all 997 cars, etc. You'll also find that marketing wanted to offer 19s for these cars, but engineering pushed back... and lost. So, they had to adjust the design of the suspension / steering components to be able to work with 19s as well as 18s. I've also posted in the past about a Porsche race car driver in Japan that was one of the first to drive both the C2 and C2S back-to-back on a race course. Both equally set up, both wearing PS2 tires if I remember correctly. And during the drive and after he went on and on about how Porsche should have stuck with 18s for the C2S, how the 18s react better to irregularities in the track, etc. That little bit more sidewall makes all the difference. You still get crisp turn-in and overall steering response but you also get better compliance.
I believe the Japanese race driver you maybe referring to is Gan-san. If so, this video has his comments (and preference for the 18" setup) after he compares the C2 vs. C2S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4pGlX12rjo
Old 03-09-2010, 02:19 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Alexb76, instead of bashing, let's get back on topic, eh? I did my part as moderator explaining the search function early on in this thread - did you miss it?
Yes you did, and Ron, you're incredibly patient and helpful, as I stated here... in other forums no one would care to answer such basic questions.

Back to main topic... I think it's all clear now.

I personally got now both 18s and 19s for winter and summer respectively. I think I will keep em that way for now, and if find it necessary will put some Michelin Cup on the 18s just for tracking and swap to winters in the fall... just not enough space for all those tires/wheels!
Old 03-11-2010, 01:03 AM
rpalomo
Instructor

ok i got the 19s with 305/30/19 in the rear and 245/35/19 in front- OZ ultraleggera with Nitto Invos

ill take better pics soon when i do some sort of photoshoot with my lotus exige s- cant wait till i line them together

Last edited by rpalomo; 06-29-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:04 AM
rpalomo
Instructor

oh and one more thing- i think it rides fine on the street even did some hard turns just to see how it performs- it seems pretty good and i hardly notice the upsize in tire, must be the nitto tires
Old 03-11-2010, 10:19 AM
xseal
Track Day

Does the 18" logic apply to the GT3 and tt's?

I thought that only a couple types of 18" will fit with the PCCBs, is that true?

my tt came with 19s, but I race motorcycles and agree that for performance the 18" makes more sense (similar reasons as bikes), but want to confirm it works on a 997tt with PCCBs.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:29 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just have to check the fitmet. I've had 18s on my GT3 and C2S and know people that run 18s with PCCB on the track.

Quick Reply: new wheel and tire question