PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My opinion? Repair your car and enjoy!
Old 03-04-2010, 10:07 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would repair it and drive the crap out of it!
Old 03-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 212 Posts

Depends on whether the damage, even if expertly repaired, would continue to bother you, and if the substantial hit you'd take (>>$10K) now is something you could easily absorb. I think there's little doubt that the hit you'd take now is def > than in 5 years when the car will be substantially, depreciated accident or not. But if that kind of money isn't a big deal for you- getting a new one will give you more peace of mind-

Personally, I would not absorb that kind of financial hit and would agree with most others- just get the mods you can now as a "benefit" of the accident and drive it the way it was meant to be driven-
Old 03-04-2010, 11:00 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the hit is far greater now then down the road.

If an accident story reduces a cars value by a certain percent, a few years down the road, when the car is more depreciated, the additional reduction due to a former accident must surely be less then what would be expected from a more expensive, newer car.

I think people paying North of $60k for a newer used 911 will be more picky on a car's history then say someone buying a 7 year old model in the $30's...
Old 03-04-2010, 11:02 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

My first GT3 had $46K in damage while a Porsche press car--- VIR--- t-10. THe car was fixed and I bought it with new car money. Drove it for 60,000 miles and tracked the **** out of it. Great car no issues at all. As long as it is put together it will be fine. More psychological (you) than the car. Get it fixed and enjoy.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:56 PM
ervjohns
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cam,

Sorry to hear about your accident. Sounds like it is going to be fixed in any case, why not drive the car for the next 6 mo. and then evaluate. Good luck, whatever you end up doing.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:14 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tough call.

I wouldn't feel as safe doing the sorts of things we do in these cars. Maybe I'm paranoid but I would always doubt whether it was repaired 100% correctly, and that doubt has to be quelled when you're over 100+mph, or pulling some nice G's while going through some glorious twisties.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:28 AM
Vegas
Intermediate

I agree with what others have said here - get it fixed and then drive the hell out of it.

I smacked up the front end of the Imola Red M3 I had before my 997, and at the end of the day, it was fixed beautifully, and no one else knew except me. After a little while I let it go and focused more on driving it vs a small fender gap difference that's invisible to everyone but you.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:01 AM
jplanaux
Instructor

I have a seven year old bmw that only had 30k. It was a garage queen for many years ... now converted to daily driver. I got hit ... the whole side was wiped out. I took it to a good repair facility. I can't even tell. I really have fallen back in love with the car. The car is as good as new. Yes it is blemished "on a paperwork" level. I plan on putting 15-20k per year over the next 5 years ... so i know it will be relatively worthless anyway when I get rid of it. Yes ... I wish that they would have totaled it ... and they didn't.

I just hope that whoever fixes it, fixes it as good as mine was fixed.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:24 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
But do you have a choice here? Didn't you say the car is being repaired and the insurance agreed to pay? I do not see how you can get rid of the car, short of selling it at a huge loss. I would make sure that the car is properly repaired (it can be done) and just enjoy it.
This. you're going to take a hit no matter what you do. If it was my car I would repair it to proper specifications, and drive it until the wheels fell off.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:53 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Originally Posted by camhabib
One is to get the car repaired the way I want; since insurance is covering the cost of replacements and the shop is already doing the work, I can get all kinds of nice stuff like a GT3 bumper, the new steering wheel (PDK paddles), harness, carbon fiber bits, etc for very few dollars out of my pocket.
Be careful when changing out the specs for an insurance repair.

Although it seems logical that you can "upgrade" your components just for a small difference in price, it becomes fertile ground for extra body shop charge$, and may increase the insurance company's 'wiggle room' to cram down your claim.

It wouldn't hurt to ask about a possible payment for diminished value, even if it was a single car accident. The worst they can say is no.

BD

Last edited by BostonDuce; 03-05-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:01 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Tough call.

I wouldn't feel as safe doing the sorts of things we do in these cars. Maybe I'm paranoid but I would always doubt whether it was repaired 100% correctly, and that doubt has to be quelled when you're over 100+mph, or pulling some nice G's while going through some glorious twisties.
race cars get fixed all the time and nobody here gets close to the g and beating that they put on them. I looked at a GT3 that was stuffed and not repairs right. The PPI guy said "it is good for street but not track" but he would be able to fix the poor repairs.

Buy the way, my car 3 corner damage and replaced rear rails is now a dedicated race cars.

Quick Reply: Repaired C4S - what would you do?