Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 C4S OEM Brake Pads? are they Pagid Black?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:56 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default 997.1 C4S OEM Brake Pads? are they Pagid Black?

Just wondering what's OEM Brake Pad that comes on 997.1 C4S? I assume it's Pagid RS 4-2-1 (black), is that right?

If so, what would be mild upgrade pads that's streetable (good bit while cold), while biting better on track, was thinking of Pagid Blue.

I've tracked only twice since I bought the car (in colder weather) and they have done fairly well, while I wasn't pushing them too hard since still learning the dynamics of the car. So, just wondering what people recommend in general when I am up for new pads (apart from OEM).
Old 03-02-2010, 11:41 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

They are Textar and Pagid company. They are not the 421 sport pads...although they would work I think. Contect RonCT on this as he has tried other pads on his 997's and he would be an honest person to give you a good evaluation.

I just swap the street pads back and forth when I change to my track tires. The pad swap is stupid simple. Pagid RS29 Yellows work great and so do Performance Friction PF97's.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:18 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
They are Textar and Pagid company. They are not the 421 sport pads...although they would work I think. Contect RonCT on this as he has tried other pads on his 997's and he would be an honest person to give you a good evaluation.

I just swap the street pads back and forth when I change to my track tires. The pad swap is stupid simple. Pagid RS29 Yellows work great and so do Performance Friction PF97's.
How are the Pagid yellow on the rotors?
Old 03-03-2010, 12:55 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I just did a comparison table of Pagid pads... the new RS5 Blue looks very very interesting!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:20 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

FOR DE and racing use the Yellows are great. These are NOT street pads. You can drive them on the street, like to and from the track event but everyday driving they will eat/grind the rotors down, they will not spot as well as stock pads because it takes more to get them hot and most of all they will squeal like a city bus.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:40 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
FOR DE and racing use the Yellows are great. These are NOT street pads. You can drive them on the street, like to and from the track event but everyday driving they will eat/grind the rotors down, they will not spot as well as stock pads because it takes more to get them hot and most of all they will squeal like a city bus.
Thanks man. I know that... and I don't think I need to go that route, as first off, I don't have a garage to swap pads evertime I track (live in a condo), plus, I am not yet fast enough to over-heat the stock pads.

So, looking for modest upgrade as pads may need replacement in a few thousand miles. Looking at the chart Pagid Black or Blue looks like a great option, but I don't know if Pagid Black is much better than OEM, and not sure if anyone knows unless they're tried both.

Cheers!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:17 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Stock pads on the 2 and 4 are not 4-2-1 / Sport. Those come on the GT3. I tried them on my 997.2 S and was not satisfied. Was hoping to find a pad that did it all, as they pretty much did on the GT3. But the C2 and C4 S pad and rotor sizes are too small for the 4-2-1 to keep up on the track in a non-GT3.

If you go with anything other than stock, prepare to sound like a garbage truck or school bus every day. It's really terrible. Either struggle along with stock and budget your braking when you advance OR prepare to swap pads out for every DE once you use up what the stock pads have to offer. I've tried Orange, Blue, Black, and Yellow along with PFC 97. ALL track-oriented pads squeal like a stuck pig on the street.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:40 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
Stock pads on the 2 and 4 are not 4-2-1 / Sport. Those come on the GT3. I tried them on my 997.2 S and was not satisfied. Was hoping to find a pad that did it all, as they pretty much did on the GT3. But the C2 and C4 S pad and rotor sizes are too small for the 4-2-1 to keep up on the track in a non-GT3.

If you go with anything other than stock, prepare to sound like a garbage truck or school bus every day. It's really terrible. Either struggle along with stock and budget your braking when you advance OR prepare to swap pads out for every DE once you use up what the stock pads have to offer. I've tried Orange, Blue, Black, and Yellow along with PFC 97. ALL track-oriented pads squeal like a stuck pig on the street.
Thanks Ron.

So, are you saying that:

1. I won't gain much improvement over stock by using Pagid 4-2-1/sport?
2. Any race brakes (Blue, Orange, Yellow, etc...) will squeel on the street.

I thought the Pagid 4-2-1 is actually better than OEM, isn't it? I thought that's the same as Ferodo 2500.

I used Ferodo 2500 on my Audi, along with many different pads. Ferodo 2500 was BY FAR the only pad that I could call dual-purpose on that car, great cold bite, gentle on rotors, and incredible track capabilities, wish they made them for our cars but I don't believe they do.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:49 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What I tried to say is that ANY track oriented pad including 4-2-1 / sport will squeal like a pig on the street.

4-2-1 will give little improvement over stock on the track - it's a real compromise pad and I'm not sure why it even exists. Having gone through all of these trials I'd stick with stock until you totally glaze up the rotors, meaning you can't use them any longer for a DE. Then you will have to swap out for DE using Yellow 29s (my top choice).

You can change them in 45 minutes once you get the hang of it and I've done it at the track. Just need a jack, an adjustable pipe wrench (with pieces of folded cardboard so as to not scratch the calipers), and a small screw driver to get the cotter pin and push through the retaining rod.

Quick Reply: 997.1 C4S OEM Brake Pads? are they Pagid Black?