Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

know of a good detailer in Minneapolis?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:22 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default know of a good detailer in Minneapolis?

Can anyone recommend someone in Mpls that is good with paint?
I just want to deal with basic swirls. A good polish and wax/seal. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings from Stillwater, MN! Not sure if you have tried this already, but there is a pretty active regional forum over at 6speedonline.com where questions like this get picked up pretty fast. [But Rennlist is my home, of course!]

Personally, I took the plunge and purchased a random orbital and a couple mild polishes (based on recommendations from the detailing site here) and was pretty amazed at the results, but I had a pretty good surface to start with.

Last edited by Jon996; 03-02-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:52 PM
johnwb
Racer

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check out the regional forum.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:25 PM
SKYKING
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon996
Personally, I took the plunge and purchased a random orbital and a couple mild polishes (based on recommendations from the detailing site here) and was pretty amazed at the results, but I had a pretty good surface to start with.
How hard was it for you to do this the first time? I do not mind washing the Pcar but taking a orbital "MACHINE" to it scares me.
Did you watch someone do it first or did you just "Do it"
Thanks.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SKYKING
How hard was it for you to do this the first time? I do not mind washing the Pcar but taking a orbital "MACHINE" to it scares me.
Did you watch someone do it first or did you just "Do it"
Thanks.
Well, it took a little nerve, I have to admit. First, I made sure to get a random orbital (I would suggest leaving orbitals to the experts). Then I checked with the detailing experts in the detailing section on some very mild polish. The Menzerna PO 85 RD is really fine--it is there Final Finish. I had very minor toweling type scratches, so did not go coarser than that. Then you tape over rubber to keep it clean.

I also was directed to some videos. Post a question or two on the Concours forum here too.

Here is a link to my first humble efforts:
FIRST DETAIL

Most are liking the Flex Random Orbital polisher now. One source for supplies and advice is: http://glisteningperfection.com/index.php

When I was done I was basically thrilled.

I will say that once you have polished (or corrected, as they say), I have not needed to repeat it for 2 years. I am just very careful on washing, drying and waxing.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:05 PM
johnwb
Racer

I have the Griot's random orbital too. Looks like it's made by Porter Cable. Griot's sent me a DVD and a booklet that explained how to use it. It's easy, and as Jon996 demonstrates, you can get great results on your own. Nothing to be afraid of. Just keep moving and go easy. You can always polish more than once.

Quick Reply: know of a good detailer in Minneapolis?