Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feb '10 Sales

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:43 PM
ggoodlife
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it really interesting that 911 and Cayman/Boxster sales don't even make up half the sales for Porsche now a day (36% based off the year to date numbers).
Old 03-02-2010, 07:14 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The Panamera is selling, perhaps fulfilling a niche or attracting new customers. Question is - will it continue to sell?

The 911 is selling quite a bit less and the Boxster/Cayman is selling very little. I think it follows the state of the economy. Whoever buys a 911 continues to buy albeit a bit less, and those who buy the Boxster/Cayman have drastically diminished. That's too bad, because the Boxster/Cayman are great cars and they should be sought by those who cannot afford an 11 but can afford a Boxster/Cayman.
Agreed!

ALL NEW premium models sell in the first year very nicely. Same goes for BMW, Audi, Mercedes. Key is if Panamera continues to sell at this rate, which I believe it won't, although I imagine it'd stay relatively good as hopefully more people get out of Cayenne to get into Panamera!

911 buyers are typically at a higher end of income, and it looks like they haven't been affected as much by the economy, while people who could afford Cayman/Boxster are pretty much out of the market (65% down!!!) and that's hurting Porsche A LOT (it was the same in January)...

So, if economy continues in this fashion, Porsche may focus more on the higher end, and pursue maybe the Panamera Coupe GT, and the 918 Supercar, while keeping 911 intact. The casualty will probably be Boxster/Cayman, their resell value doesn't help the situation either.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:23 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tejoe
....2) I don't look down my nose at the Boxster/Cayman crowd, and coincidentally know 2 of the 343 buyers, both in Orlando. One of them (Boxster) got rid of an R8 and the other (CaymanS) could write a check for a Ferarri if he wanted to.

This means absolutely NOTHING. So you know 2 people who could have purchaced a more expensive car, but didn't. Whoop dee doo.

Are you trying to conclude from this that the financial demographics of Cayman/Boxster owners are the same as those who purchased 911s? Because that's the implication of your post and I don't believe that for one minute. Not being elitist here but I just don't believe it.

As has been suggested previously it is much more likely that people in the upper income brackets gravitate to the premium car in the model range and have not been quite as affected by the current economic downturn.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:25 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boolala

This means absolutely NOTHING. So you know 2 people who could have purchaced a more expensive car, but didn't. Whoop dee doo.

Are you trying to conclude from this that the financial demographics of Cayman/Boxster owners are the same as those who purchased 911s? Because that's the implication of your post and I don't believe that for one minute. Not being elitist here but I just don't believe it.

As has been suggested previously it is much more likely that people in the upper income brackets gravitate to the premium car in the model range and have not been quite as affected by the current economic downturn.
+1
Old 03-02-2010, 08:39 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Cayman and Boxter

IMO porsche thought they could do what they did with the 911 and get away with it with regards to the Boxter and Cayman.... meaning very subtle changes over the years. These cars did not dress the walls in poster form of kids 20+ years back... and will never have the cult like following as does the 911 posrches flagship auto. Porsche needed to watch these cars evolution, follow the times, make bigger and better changes to both these models... they were a hit in their introduction as are most "new posrche models" as seen in the new 4dr etc... but don't have the legs to go years and years only slighlty changing like the 911. That said I realize the 911 has gone through some pretty dramatic changes internally etc but asthetically has not.... commonly known as the car that still retains its old lines etc... for the 911 that works, why? Cause it is the Porsche 911..... this will NOt work in a Cayman or a Boxter as these cars will never be as iconic, memoribale and frozen in peoples brain as the car to someday own much as the 911. But what do I know, just a consumer here. Major overalls needed or these models will continue to suffer.

The Panamera is selling, perhaps fulfilling a niche or attracting new customers. Question is - will it continue to sell?

The 911 is selling quite a bit less and the Boxster/Cayman is selling very little. I think it follows the state of the economy. Whoever buys a 911 continues to buy albeit a bit less, and those who buy the Boxster/Cayman have drastically diminished. That's too bad, because the Boxster/Cayman are great cars and they should be sought by those who cannot afford an 11 but can afford a Boxster/Cayman.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I just put the number in this table to show the sales volume difference from 2009 to 2010 (excluding Panamera)... staggering! We also need to remember how BAD February 2009 was... so we're not comparing to a boom year.

Last edited by alexb76; 03-02-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I don't think it's too fair to compare the Boxster/Cayman with the 911; the former caters to buyers in the ~$50-75k range with 4 models, while the latter has a much broader range from ~$75k-$200k with 13 models.

Considering that the economy is supposedly "improving", it is surprising nonetheless...

...and it is far too early to consider the Panamera a success.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:46 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I just put the number in this table to show the sales volume difference from 2009 to 2010 (excluding Panamera)... staggering! We also need to remember how BAD February 2009 was... so we're not comparing to a boom year.

Your Cayenne entry is off. The Cayenne change is actually positive.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:11 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Your Cayenne entry is off. The Cayenne change is actually positive.
Not for the year, I mis-labeled the YTD years...

Old 03-03-2010, 01:30 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala

I couldn't agree more, boolala. Well written.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:01 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
IMO porsche thought they could do what they did with the 911 and get away with it with regards to the Boxter and Cayman.... meaning very subtle changes over the years. These cars did not dress the walls in poster form of kids 20+ years back... and will never have the cult like following as does the 911 posrches flagship auto. Porsche needed to watch these cars evolution, follow the times, make bigger and better changes to both these models... they were a hit in their introduction as are most "new posrche models" as seen in the new 4dr etc... but don't have the legs to go years and years only slighlty changing like the 911. That said I realize the 911 has gone through some pretty dramatic changes internally etc but asthetically has not.... commonly known as the car that still retains its old lines etc... for the 911 that works, why? Cause it is the Porsche 911..... this will NOt work in a Cayman or a Boxter as these cars will never be as iconic, memoribale and frozen in peoples brain as the car to someday own much as the 911. But what do I know, just a consumer here. Major overalls needed or these models will continue to suffer.
I agree that perhaps the Boxster/Cayman haven't changed enough to spark new interest from the public at large. On the other hand this has been Porsche's tradition with all their cars. The old 924/944/968, the predecessor positioned as the so called affordable Porsche, didn't change all that much on the outside either.

IMHO, the low sales really are due to the economy - plain and simple.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:43 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2132 big four door models (Cayenne and Panamera combined).

64% of Porsche's sales.

Wow.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 AM
batty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some international sales numbers would make for an interesting comparison.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:12 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 393 Likes on 227 Posts

I just can't see those Pano numbers lasting. I think a lot of those are "first on the block" sales and think they're cannabilizing other makes not Porsche. Hopefully for the sake of Porsche and our economy I'm wrong.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:16 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George from MD
I just can't see those Pano numbers lasting. I think a lot of those are "first on the block" sales and think they're cannabilizing other makes not Porsche. Hopefully for the sake of Porsche and our economy I'm wrong.
If this continues, Porsche will probably focus on only HIGH end customer for their sports car, AND, on GT, Sports SUV customers... which I would really hate to see!

Quick Reply: Feb '10 Sales