Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Gen 3 - good news for next 911 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010 | 04:31 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by machina
Most important is that the middle level S version lost 400 lbs !
Considering how small and heavy the first generation Touareg/Cayenne platform is/was, that's not much of an accomplishment...
Old 02-25-2010 | 04:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

The new Cayenne looks good, except the Turbo. Its front and grill are too much in-your-face.
Old 02-25-2010 | 05:28 PM
996FourEss
Instructor

I think the weight savings are a little smoke and mirrors to be honest. Come mostly from ditching the rather good (but for most people superfluous) off-road gear like low range gears, locking axles, underbody reinforcement, etc. All of these frankly actually supported the old Cayennes case for being functionally excellent (which in my mind has also been a core value proposition for Porsche). Now seems that they are focusing on functional excellence for on-road driving performance for a SUV (and we can argue about the merits of that goal).
Old 02-25-2010 | 05:43 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FourEss
I think the weight savings are a little smoke and mirrors to be honest. Come mostly from ditching the rather good (but for most people superfluous) off-road gear like low range gears, locking axles, underbody reinforcement, etc. All of these frankly actually supported the old Cayennes case for being functionally excellent (which in my mind has also been a core value proposition for Porsche). Now seems that they are focusing on functional excellence for on-road driving performance for a SUV (and we can argue about the merits of that goal).
So more like Lexus RX series... the only true off-road premium SUV is Range Rover/Land Rovers!
Old 02-25-2010 | 08:23 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Suppose that depends on your definition of "true off-road premium SUV". The Lexus RX is purely a car platform; unibody, front-wheel drive, MacPherson strut suspension, no locking diffs, etc. The Touareg/Cayenne was always a unibody, as is the current Land Rovers/Range Rovers, but they use coil springs and have locking diffs. The Lexus LS/Land Cruiser still uses a body on frame, so they could be considered the last true off-road premium SUV, but they are too big to get down any serious trail.

From what I've read, the upcoming Touareg/Cayenne platform gets its weight loss from more use of aluminum, not reduction in off-road ability.
Old 02-25-2010 | 09:11 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Porsche has released the 2011 Cayeene Web Special on the website now.
Old 02-25-2010 | 09:29 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Originally Posted by machina
Sorry, but the Panamera is cutting edge in many areas in terms of weight savings. Lots of aluminum and new manufacturing process. I am pretty sure it is the lightest sedan in its class, also the quickest.

We wont have to wait long to find out if Porsche did the right thing with the next 911, I'm betting we will be pleasantly suprised.

Less is More
Really? Cutting edge? Are you sure about that??? Maybe 'cutting edge' like audi with the aluminum hood on the S4, yet it is still 4000lbs?
Look, Porsche had a clean sheet of paper on this design and made a car that has less usable space than an M5 and weighs more. It is a standard stamped unibody that has some cast magnesium and aluminum bits. A nicely optioned panamera ranges from 4100-4500lbs. At its size, that is obscene. Comparing its weight to a 7 series, (like C&D did) may make it look smarter, but porsche should have canned the panamera and cayenne and started over. It actually is closer in size to a 3 series........Scratch that, the M3 sedan has more interior space (5 cubic feet) and is 300 lbs lighter.......
Old 02-25-2010 | 09:51 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

If it ditches those hardware goodies, that is more like cutting cost than cutting weight...
Old 02-26-2010 | 12:04 AM
texas911
Race Car

I wouldn't call the 997 overweight though, not for its size and equipment level. I think that if Porsche goes lighter, it would end up with an Elise and no one wants that.
Old 02-26-2010 | 02:16 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docjohnM
Really? Cutting edge? Are you sure about that??? Maybe 'cutting edge' like audi with the aluminum hood on the S4, yet it is still 4000lbs?
Look, Porsche had a clean sheet of paper on this design and made a car that has less usable space than an M5 and weighs more. It is a standard stamped unibody that has some cast magnesium and aluminum bits. A nicely optioned panamera ranges from 4100-4500lbs. At its size, that is obscene. Comparing its weight to a 7 series, (like C&D did) may make it look smarter, but porsche should have canned the panamera and cayenne and started over. It actually is closer in size to a 3 series........Scratch that, the M3 sedan has more interior space (5 cubic feet) and is 300 lbs lighter.......
It is my understanding... from the Panamera event I attended in Beverly Hills a while back with Porsche.... that Porsche not only used cutting edge materials (magnesium, aluminium, etc.) but also cutting edge manufacturing techniques like bonding, etc. typically used in manufacturing aircraft and not cars.

I would be happy to say that I'm completely wrong but I simply cannot believe that an M3 has anywhere near the same interior space as a Panamera. The backseat in a Panamera is HUGE compared to a 3 series. Never mind the front seats. I'd love to see data on that because I'd be happy to raise my hand and correct myself.

I am 100% certain that a Panamera's exterior is a whole lot bigger than any 3 series.
Old 02-26-2010 | 02:17 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alexb76
So more like Lexus RX series... the only true off-road premium SUV is Range Rover/Land Rovers!
Strongly disagree here.

The Lexus LX570 is every bit, if not more, the "premium" SUV that the Rovers are. And while I haven't yet driven one, the GX470 is probably every bit the premium SUV that the current Land Rover is.
Old 02-26-2010 | 10:24 AM
kosmo
Race Director

All the chatter about off roading in these "primo suvees" cracks me up. My neighbor has a Range Rover (dunno which -they all look the same to me) w/ ultra low profile tires (maybe 22's?) and yet has all the metal guards on the front bumper and tail lights. Go figure.
Old 02-26-2010 | 10:38 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by docjohnM
the M3 has more headroom than the Panny, esp in the rear. The P has more rear legroom and a bigger boot. The interior of the M3 is krap.
Also since you brought up the M5, which I think is the most comparable, the P S weighs less than the M5. The Panny 4 S, however, does weigh more. And yes the P's boot is still bigger.

Last edited by kosmo; 02-26-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-26-2010 | 10:48 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

It would be great if the new 911 did lose 300 lbs. I imagine they could if they used lighter weight materials though out the car. I saw a program on TV or something, one of the Japanese manufacturers are all ready thinking of the future in this new green conscious era, came up with a plastic or foam that has more strength and weights less the aluminum. Easiest way to lower fuel consumption is to reduce the weight.

Last edited by jumper5836; 02-26-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-26-2010 | 11:03 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by jumper5836
It would be great if the new 911 did lose 300 lbs. I imagine they could if they used lighter weight materials though out the car. I saw a program on TV or something, one of the Japanese manufacturers are all ready thinking of the future in this new green conscious era, came up with a plastic that has more strength and weights less the aluminum. Easiest way to lower fuel consumption is to reduce the weight.
I agree. theres no doubt that P couldnt lose 10% thru the use of CF and alloys. Obviously the question will be, will buyers pay, say 30%, more this. My guess is no. The price of that tech is still rather expensive. This is the logic behind that Lexus LFA. Use it as a test bed to learn and bring scale driving down manufacturing costs.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Gen 3 - good news for next 911 ?