Sponsored by:

Helmet recommendations for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 03:45 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Isn't there one brand that seems to be better than others as far as headroom goes? I thought one had a slimmer profile or something. Anyway, some of us are tall and need every little bit of headroom possible.
My OMP fits very well, and I am 6'2. It is one of the lightest and more compact helmets around.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:49 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Since you are in the Dallas area, my suggestion would be to take a day trip and drive to New Braunfels and the Simpson plant. Call ahead and ask for Pam Diggs. they will fit you for the helmet. I have used helmets, flying and driving for over 40 years and the last thing you want is a helmet with a hot spot, too tight or too loose. Any distraction is bad and since our heads are not standard size, we don't all fit in standard size helmets. Pam will work with you for a custom fit and that is their normal service. Yes there are lighter helmets than Simpson but proper fit is more important in the long run. My .02 cents worth
Old 02-25-2010, 07:14 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Since you are in the Dallas area, my suggestion would be to take a day trip and drive to New Braunfels and the Simpson plant. Call ahead and ask for Pam Diggs. they will fit you for the helmet. I have used helmets, flying and driving for over 40 years and the last thing you want is a helmet with a hot spot, too tight or too loose. Any distraction is bad and since our heads are not standard size, we don't all fit in standard size helmets. Pam will work with you for a custom fit and that is their normal service. Yes there are lighter helmets than Simpson but proper fit is more important in the long run. My .02 cents worth
That is a trip I'd take. Custom fit from the factory..........
Old 02-25-2010, 08:47 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.speedwaremotorsports.com is a great place. They have a wide selection and a long history. They have a lot of experience of helping with the right selection and if it does not fit you can send it back.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:11 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

i'm a fan of Arai and full face helmets. i agree that it's easier to communicate a bit with open face, but i think a full face helmet is the only way to go. if you really need it, you'll be glad you have the face protection.

you also want to get the ability to connect a hans device if you think you may grow into that later.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:42 PM
CHV
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know when the Snell SA2010 is coming out? I need a new one and I hate to buy a SA2005 and have the 2010 come out in a few mos.

Thanks
Chuck
Old 02-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

brendorem - All currrent helmets from reputable companies are pre-drilled for Hans attachements as far as I know but it is a good point.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHV
Does anyone know when the Snell SA2010 is coming out? I need a new one and I hate to buy a SA2005 and have the 2010 come out in a few mos.

Thanks
Chuck
I've heard not till this fall.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:53 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
brendorem - All currrent helmets from reputable companies are pre-drilled for Hans attachements as far as I know but it is a good point.
^ didn't realize that. thanks.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:34 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHV

Thanks
Chuck
You will not be able to get the SA2010 until after September into October. All helmet suppliers will pre-drill for HANS. Only the Pro level helmets come from the Manufacturer pre-drillled.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:59 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
i'm a fan of Arai and full face helmets.
I have an Arai full-face helmet as well. Not only does the full-face provide more protection (should you ever need it), but it can be also used for karting if you decide to go that route (as expensive as a good helmet is, you want it to be versatile, especially for somebody just getting into the sport/hobby).

To the OP, definitely try on as many makes and models as you can. I loved my Bell, but for some reason (apparently cost cutting) the new ones don't fit me at all well, which is why I switched to an Arai (the GP-5W, with a wide eye port for glasses). It is noticeably smaller and lighter than the Bell model I previously used (more expensive, too...but you know what they say about going cheap on a helmet...).
Old 02-26-2010, 12:02 AM
texas911
Race Car

I have an open face Bell. Works for me. It works talking to the instructor and feels cooler in the summer. I heard that they recommend an open face helmet with airbags?

Quick Reply: Helmet recommendations for DE?