Sponsored by:

Helmet recommendations for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 02:55 AM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Helmet recommendations for DE?

Anyone have helmet recommendations for DE events? Also where to purchase?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:17 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Get an OMP one, best helmets for the price BY A MILE, Made in Italy!

Here's where I got mine from http://www.driversedgeautosport.com/helmet.htm
Old 02-25-2010, 10:10 AM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a Snell rated SA2005 or, if available, SA2010 rated helmet. DOT only rated helmets don't meet the requirements of a DE and don't provide the same level of protection as a Snell rated helmet. Bell makes good helmets at a reasonable cost. A lot of folks like Simpson. What ever you buy go to a shop that sells them and try them on for fit before you buy one either through a retail shop or online.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:39 AM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need a Snell rated helmet as CarGuy21 states. Some of the smaller regions will allow motorcycle helmets, but it is not really worth the risk as you will lose the fire protection. After 35 years of racing motorcycles & open wheeled vehicles.... I have tried most if not all the different brands. Yet, when you go thru my closet full of equipment everyone of my helemts are Bell. They make a good priced helmet that works... Still, the key is to get something you like, that fits properly and is within your budget. The sources to purchase are numberous... Saferacer, OG, pitstop usa, Pegaus, etc. Do a web search and go from there.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:41 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Fitting is important... while I have a Bell Vortex and HJC HX-10 and like them both. Find a local dealer and try them on, as sizing varies with each make/model.

Snell rating of SA2005 is all that's available currently until October when the SA2010 rated helmets are slated to be released.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:57 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I forgot to mention fitting, as others said, go try them on first, and stick to Snel SA2005.

I personally prefer OMP to Bell. But both at SA2005 will provide right protection for DE.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:04 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

How long will a Snell SA2005 still be good & certified for PCA DE events once the SA2010's come out in October?

What's best for drives who wear glasses?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:46 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
How long will a Snell SA2005 still be good & certified for PCA DE events once the SA2010's come out in October?

What's best for drives who wear glasses?
I think you should be fine for a few years at least. Some DE event even accept SA 2000, but most require 2005.

I wear glasses, and the OMP Speed Helmet works for me, but it's all personal fit. I recommend open face ones (without visor) as you got more room for glasses.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:57 AM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
Anyone have helmet recommendations for DE events? Also where to purchase?

Thanks in advance.
If this is your first helmet purchase, which is implied by your question, I would suggest purchasing from a local source. I say this because IMO you must try a helmet on before you purchase. Proper fit is the most important element of benefiting from the safety engineered into any helmet. The most recent Snell rating is subordinated to fit IMO (obviously you should not purchase a helmet with an expiring Snell certification but since you can operate a computer I figure you already knew that ).

Don't buy sight unseen based on a third party recommendation. Take the time to visit a local shop (try contacting your local PCA chapter for suggestions). The probability of you being satisfied with your purchase will increase exponentially and you will support a local vendor in the process. Grassroots motor-sports is where its at.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:00 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

the Snell sa2005 will be DE (not so if you plan on PCA CR) approved until the Snell sa2015 are released.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I'd like to add to the statements about Snell certification. PCA now accepts both Snell and BSI (which is the FIA spec). The advantage of BSI is that each helmet is dated and is good for ten years after the manufacturing date. With Snell, your Snell 2000 helmet is good only until the Snell 2010 hits the market. If you needed and bought a helmet in say early 2005, you got a Snell 2000 since manufacturers tend to release their Snell 2xxx helmets later in the year. For example the Snell 2010 models are not yet available. In my region, (Rennsport) we will continue to accept Snell 2000 helmet until the 2010 models are released.

Another consideration beyond fit is the shape of the exterior of the helmet. For example a lot of people driving cars with GT3 seats find that Bell helmets force them to drive with their chins down. The Bell had an egg like protrusion out the back which can be incompatible with the race seat. They also tend to be taller than others and hit the roof in cars with a sun roof.

So, make sure the helmet fits properly and make sure to try it in your car!

FWIW I always suggest people buy open face helmets since we are driving cars with proper windshields. A Closed face helmet make look cool, but they are hot as hell in warm weather. Being able to talk without removing the helmet is a plus too.

Best,
Old 02-25-2010, 12:30 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

I will agree with the Open Face for our PCA cars. I have run open wheeled cars for years and always used a full face helmet... When you get into a COUPE you will find that an open face lets more air in and can provide a bit more visual perceptation. While I have not found any issues with my BELL pushing my head forward in my RECARO Profi buckets. As for the Height issue... that will be the case for any entry level skull cap that is using more padding to meet the SNELL rating.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Open face makes it a lot easier to communicate with another person in the car which is a significant benefit for someone just starting out with DEs and spending most of their time with an instructor in the right seat.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:23 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't there one brand that seems to be better than others as far as headroom goes? I thought one had a slimmer profile or something. Anyway, some of us are tall and need every little bit of headroom possible.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Isn't there one brand that seems to be better than others as far as headroom goes? I thought one had a slimmer profile or something. Anyway, some of us are tall and need every little bit of headroom possible.
Yes. I have found that Simpson uses less headroom than the Bell Mag series as does Stilo which is a European BSI helmet. I like the Stilo since it has a built in intercom (boom mic and speakers). Really designed for pro rallying but works great for instructors too

Quick Reply: Helmet recommendations for DE?