Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch issue - hydraulic problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 01:22 PM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issue - hydraulic problem?

Driving to work this morning I experienced an issue with my clutch which suddenly required greater effort to depress the pedal and provided much greater "return pressure" when I released the pedal. Essentially it became harder to disengage, and it wanted to engage much quicker and more forcefully.

No change in biting point, no slippage (the car has less than 9000 miles), no chatter, just vastly different feel on the engage and disengage. I know these are self adjusting clutches on the S and also that there's some hydraulic assistance. I have to suspect it may be the latter, but any thoughts before I call the dealer?
Old 02-24-2010, 01:52 PM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by LlBr
Wild guess on my part.

Good luck at dealer service!
Thanks! I have to say, Porsche could market whatever is causing my issue as a poor man's "make your clutch feel like a GT3 clutch" option!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

That part is for the 997 turbos--not found on the Carreras
Old 02-24-2010, 03:48 PM
swajames
Racer

Interim update... My SA tells me he suspects it is the pressure plate that is the issue and that it should be a warranty item. Let's hope he's right...
Old 02-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I personally would never consider a pressure plate a warranty item but hope your SA will go to bat for you. Not enough mileage accrued to cause such issues.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:25 PM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I personally would never consider a pressure plate a warranty item but hope your SA will go to bat for you. Not enough mileage accrued to cause such issues.
Right, he said he had seen a few fail and that they'd been done under warranty. Either way, he said he didn't suspect whatever is was that needed to be fixed would be viewed as a wear item. I would have to agree as there are less than 9000 miles on the car, it's only 14 months old and I do try to be a reasonably responsible owner! There's no change in the bite point and no slippage, just that significant change in pedal effort on the engage and disengage. The equivalent would be as if I'd suddenly lost power assistance on the steering - you could still do it, but all of a sudden it required much greater effort.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:07 AM
swajames
Racer

Final update - well, there seems to be nothing wrong with the clutch... As is so often the case when you're trying to troubleshoot issues like this, the pedal feel miraculously returned to normal when the car was dropped off at the dealer for them to take a look. Kind of strange, the dealer ruled out wear (clutch or pressure plate) but couldn't reproduce the issue I had this morning. I have the car back, and it seemed just fine after I picked it. Ah well - guess all I can do is see if anything reappears...

Trending Topics

Old 02-25-2010, 12:48 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Final update - well, there seems to be nothing wrong with the clutch... Ah well - guess all I can do is see if anything reappears...
That bugs me. The dealership should know exactly what's wrong. They have all sorts of TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) that describe odds-and-ends P-car troubles explicitly. Ask them if they actually checked that database. Do they have up-dated access to it? It seems strange they have nothing to refer to regarding your issue.

Maybe there's a TSB that's titled, "Owner Imagination as the Cause of Malfunction." If so ask to read it. LOL. Nah. Joking. I'm sure what you experienced was real. We're not typical owners here.

Resident experts here are more than welcome to correct anything I said above.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

CND--Can Not Duplicate. I hate those.

Quick Reply: Clutch issue - hydraulic problem?