Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd high pitch oscillating whine at crusie speeds??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Twinspin
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd high pitch oscillating whine at crusie speeds??

I have noticed that I get an odd high-pitch sound that oscillates from high to low pitch when cruising at normal highway speeds.

Symptoms- Cruising in 6th or 7th gear and if I lift off the accelerator and then reapply pressure (no kick down, just gently reapply pressure) I get this odd high-pitch sound. The whine starts at a high pitch and then goes lower in pitch/volume until I can no longer hear it. The whole cycle last only a couple of seconds but it is loud enough to be heard to highway speeds so minimally it is annoying....but my chief concern is that there is something wrong. By the way, the noise emanates from the rear of the car.

Any thoughts on the cause?.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:40 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get a similar noise when driving over the speed limit. I later found it was my girlfriend whining about my speeding. Sadly warranty doesn't cover this problem and she's past the 90 day probationary period.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:49 AM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by Twinspin
I have noticed that I get an odd high-pitch sound that oscillates from high to low pitch when cruising at normal highway speeds.

Symptoms- Cruising in 6th or 7th gear and if I lift off the accelerator and then reapply pressure (no kick down, just gently reapply pressure) I get this odd high-pitch sound. The whine starts at a high pitch and then goes lower in pitch/volume until I can no longer hear it. The whole cycle last only a couple of seconds but it is loud enough to be heard to highway speeds so minimally it is annoying....but my chief concern is that there is something wrong. By the way, the noise emanates from the rear of the car.

Any thoughts on the cause?.
I don't know the cause but I'm familiar with the symptom (or at least similar symptoms). I also hear a high pitched whine from time to time when you lift off the gas to gently decelerate from highway speeds. Definitely seems to come from the rear of the car in my case too. I'd wondered if it might be a minor transmission whine? I also wondered if it may be road noise given some of the unusual road construction and grooves in the freeways here in the Bay Area.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:34 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911
I get a similar noise when driving over the speed limit. I later found it was my girlfriend whining about my speeding. Sadly warranty doesn't cover this problem and she's past the 90 day probationary period.
Girlfriends are never past a probationary period.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
Girlfriends are never past a probationary period.
Absolutely! You must have that probation clause confused with the spousal unit clause.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:48 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Absolutely! You must have that probation clause confused with the spousal unit clause.
You must be very, very careful with the spousal unit clause.

Choose the wrong party in this legally binding contract, and you will quickly
find yourself posting on the Hyundai forum. No more Rennlist.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:36 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol, girlfriend who owns a house you paid for might as well be spouse as far as the law is concerned, after you co-habitate for more than six months she gets half.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:47 PM
gotfish
AutoX

i noticed a high pitched screeching noise. sounded like someone scratching the paint at the rear of the car. my daughter actually got out to see what scratched the car. nothing. huh! next day my hi pressure fuel pump went. i hope, for you, there is no connection, but i am glad my fuel pump is now replaced.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:46 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Originally Posted by Twinspin
Depending on your normal highway speed, it could be a police siren.

Quick Reply: Odd high pitch oscillating whine at crusie speeds??