Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabriolet or Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:19 PM
dr90254
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Condo...LOL, I agree with you....if you want a 'low key' car you should choose a Honda Civic....

Anyways, just to wade into this convo and give my 2 cents:

GO FOR THE CAB!!
you obviously want it, you are asking so it's on your mind.

reasons to go for a cab:

1. it's sexy.
2. chics dig it. (see #1) they can jump into the back seat easier. (trust me on this one -- try fitting 3 chics into your targa....those are small back seats.
3. you get great views w/ the top down....its a totally unparalled driving experience. take a nice windy mountain road in a cab and....you might have those chicas....well, i'll stop here.
4. with the top down, you dont need a radio, bc the sound of that beautiful Porsche engine is subliminal
5. you get two cars in one -- top up, its one animal, top down, its another beast.....its like buying one porsche and getting a second for free.

as for some practical input:
choose a black top. it holds its color better long term.
get your windows tinted.
that blends the cab top in with the black windows and gives it an amazing look. (Trust me, thats what I did. I took the idea from the TechART doppleturbo 2007 I believe from Modified Luxury Exotics).

and if whats holding you back is the extra 10Gs or so.....dont even think about the money! you're already buying a 140,000 car!!! go for the cab!!!!
you wont regret it.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:23 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
It is miserable when it is humid and over 80 degrees!

Humidity sucks.
The AC dehumidifies as you probably know.

Top down, AC on high,
Both jets facing you,
Stop and go,
Or steady urban flow
You have own little oasis of cool dry repose!

(it almost rhymes it's so beautiful! ).
Old 02-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and if whats holding you back is the extra 10Gs or so.....dont even think about the money! you're already buying a 140,000 car!!! go for the cab!!!!
you wont regret it.

Thats exactly what I did but I went ahead and spent extra 3450.00 for Hard Top for the hot month of Aug. and Jan/ Feb when it would be very rare to warm up enough to let top down.

Vented seats were a new OPT. for the Adp Sport Seats so that should make summer nicer if it turns out to be true. Porsche build showed it as a option, dealer told me today that they will have a firm confirmation that order was taken as submitted on Monday.

But still long wait to go. Looking into future thinking about some long drives with Top down.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Coupe is better looking...don't like the "hump" in the rear.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:04 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
Coupe is better looking...don't like the "hump" in the rear.
Not "hump!" It's Bootay! LOL Junk in the Trunk!
Attached Images   
Old 02-28-2010, 11:06 PM
swajames
Racer

My prior car was a 2007 S Coupe and I switched out to a 2008 S Cab - I have never looked back. The 997 cab gives up nothing to the Coupe in street driving and here in NorCal the climate is close to perfect for soft top ownership. A 911 Cab with the SmartTop is as close to perfect a combination as I can reasonably imagine. The biggest surprise to non-Cab owners is how little wind buffeting there is with the wind deflector in place. Get the cab - it really is the best of both worlds.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:26 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is a though call with a turbo. I am fortunate to have an SL and a GT3. It is really nice to take my bald head (with ballcap) out with the roof down. The screen in back does a great job of keeping the wind away.

you want the cab. and since you are not a track rat it sounds like that is what you will get.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:15 AM
mossjn
Advanced

Not a tough call, even with a Turbo. I agree with comment that the coupe looks alot better than the cab with top up. However, if you can get over this issue, I guarantee that you will prefer the cab for all reasons stated in this thread. I got over it mainly by leaving the top down 90% of the time. Although somewhat an apples to oranges comparison, Cab actually looks better than coupe when top is down.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:23 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by mossjn
Cab actually looks better than coupe when top is down.
FYI:
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2010, 01:00 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by mossjn
Cab actually looks better than coupe when top is down.
FWIW:
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2010, 03:48 PM
michaeldantep
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cab

I grew up in NJ and I had a father who loved cars, but for some reason didn't like convertibles. He would always tell me how he jumped in one when it was hot out and the seats were so hot they burned his legs or how noisy it was or the dust and heat on your head. In other words, he only saw the negatives. I moved to CA in 1/2004 and I was in a girlfriend's convertible 333Ci. From that point on, I was hooked. To me there is nothing like driving a convertible on a pretty day along the coast of CA. Unless you're tracking the car or street racing, the very minor performance difference will not be noticeable between a vert and a coupe. I have only had black cars with black tops, but I would say make sure you keep on top of protecting the top and caring for it (read about products like RaggTop and 303). I do think black tops show less of the lines and other markings that can show up in time. A light top tends to get old looking quickly as someone wrote. My next car will be the 911 Turbo vert, so in my opinion, you are a lucky guy that you can do it now. Go for the vert and I don't think you'll ever regret it. You will have the best of both worlds..a crazy fast car and the ability to put the top down. The other added bonus is women love convertibles! The first question women would ask me when I had my Vette, , my M3 and now my C2S is..oh nice car, is it a convertible?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:01 PM
mossjn
Advanced

Originally Posted by michaeldantep
To me there is nothing like driving a convertible on a pretty day along the coast of CA. Unless you're tracking the car or street racing, the very minor performance difference will not be noticeable between a vert and a coupe.
I tracked my '08 Cab S a few times and it was fantastic. Not sure if I could tell the difference from coupe but am not planning on tracking enough to probably care.

Michaeldantep - live a few cities down from you on SF Peninsula and couldn't agree more about coastal cruising.

Have never read a post from a cab owner about wishing they had gone coupe.

Any coupe owners that wished they had gone cab? If not, us cabbies will never understand. Guess it is the ole "different strokes" routine......

Quick Reply: Cabriolet or Coupe