Sponsored by:

Cabriolet or Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:21 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
I sold my cab to make room for my GT3 and I desperately miss it when the weather is nice. If you're a "convertible" person, then nothing else really scratches that itch. I've just been spending so much time at the track that it made sense to move into something that had a roof. I also get to borrow my girlfriend's Miata when I'm completely overcome by the need for sunshine and fresh air.

If you're not a "convertible" kind of person, though, you'd hate it. Nobody can really answer that but you.
I kept the Cab and purchased the GT3. Love the Cab, Love the raw GT3. If you like the open top feel buy the cab, there are no down sides, driving an open top 911 is a great feeling.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

I recently went back to the cab and love it, although I wish I could keep a coupe too (and the wife).

To me the answer lies in a. your weather and b. your use of the car. If it's mostly a street car, it's silly to think you'll miss any performance a cab gives up over a coupe - particularly a turbo.

You seem like you're an open top person...
Old 02-24-2010, 11:45 PM
OneManTX
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cab

It was over 100 degrees for something like 20 or 30 days in a row here last summer - thats what the (soft) top and air conditioner are for. On those days, when its in the 80's at 6 in the morning or midnight - perfect time for top-down.

As far as highway - I love it. Drove 210 miles to Houston a few weeks ago with top down whole way.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:42 AM
porscheman1963
Instructor

I am 45 and have never owned anything but Cabs since I was able to drive. Maybe I am so used to soft tops that when the top is up I feel as if it is just like every other hard top car. That's the beauty of the Cab, top down and you have a Convertible and top up and u have a non-convertible !!! Makes sense to me !!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:38 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OneManTX
Cab

It was over 100 degrees for something like 20 or 30 days in a row here last summer - thats what the (soft) top and air conditioner are for.
On hot sunny days? I used to drive mine with air conditioner on high and blowing at me with top down in stop and go traffic. No hint of overheating. Cooling system is amazing.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 PM
OneManTX
Pro

Originally Posted by LlBr
On hot sunny days? I used to drive mine with air conditioner on high and blowing at me with top down in stop and go traffic. No hint of overheating. Cooling system is amazing.
I can see that, but to me stop and go with sun beating down humid and over 95 degrees isn't fun. In about 2 or 3 months I should be able to give it another try, though
Old 02-26-2010, 12:43 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I can see that, but to me stop and go with sun beating down humid and over 95 degrees isn't fun. In about 2 or 3 months I should be able to give it another try, though

Definitely give it a try. It works! It's like a cool sunny day! LOL Extremely wasteful and self-indulgent BUT WHAT DA HECK!
Old 02-26-2010, 02:36 AM
solarlottry
AutoX

i have an 09TT cab and love it. have had porsche cabs for many years, in fact, the only cars i have ever owned have been Porsche cabs and i am 43 years old! ( i did own a 72 lemans convertible which was a beauty as well). i spec'd the 2011TTS yesterday and all of the leather interior colors plus the two tone were available. I spec'd out a coupe for 2 reasons-one the cost and the other is the ability to put surfboards on the roof. i live in hawaii and i have always put my boards in the front seat with the passenger seat down but it really beat up the interior and with a 160,000$ car i felt like it was better to put the boards on the roof. Whatever you pick it will be a great car.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:39 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

coupe!!!!!!

i bought cab 97 first and i liked it, i loved how i could drop or raise top up to 50mph without a problem.. car was great but the heat came in thru the top regardless and the wind noise was always there.. and the look of the car just didnt scream classic 911 to me like the coupe does... coupe mimic's the old 993/964 soo much to me.

got a coupe and never looked back, moonroof back you get a nice view of the stars and the wind... and the look of the car says 911 much more to me..

also when i had a cab, i would wave to other 911's and every fellow cab'er i would see would be a woman in her 50's/60's and i would say WTF!..

love my coupe, wouldnt trade back if you paid me. targa used to be my favorite... but... idk what it is. the new one i just cant sell myself on..
Old 02-26-2010, 04:25 AM
dom4471
Instructor

definatly cab , nothing comes close when in a tunnel top down and accelerating with foot flat to the floor with pse - but bear in mind the back seats are at a slightly more upright angle compaired to the coupe, (had both) and my son (11yrs) starts getting back ache after journeys of more than abt 30 mins.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:17 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have to vote for the cab as well. Since your car is going to be a weekend toy, I'd say enjoy it fully!!!
Good luck and I'd get the ice blue, blue interior and blue top...but that's me!
Old 02-26-2010, 01:28 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I can't comment on the specifics of a 997.2, but I love the hell out of my cab (Boxster S), throw that top down every chance I get, and can't imagine ever buying another coupe for a daily driver, letalone a weekend car. There's just something so wonderful about driving a convertible. I throw the top down even on the hottest days, and keep it down until temps drop below 50 and I'm getting cold, even with a coat on. (Heated seats help the latter considerably.)

The worst part about driving a cab is driving a cab, but not being able to drive with the top down because it's raining. Driving with the top up, it's like any other car- no drafts, temperature is fine, etc. It's quiet in open air at highway speeds, but makes a little noise when I'm in turbulence behind a big truck. My biggest complaint was the e-brake interlock Porsche put on cars in this model years, but I modified the relay so I can put the top up/down while driving, which fixed that.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:46 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are you talking about? It is miserable when it is humid and over 80 degrees!

Dry heat FTW.

Humidity sucks.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:09 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
What are you talking about? It is miserable when it is humid and over 80 degrees!

Dry heat FTW.

Humidity sucks.
Protip: the AC works just fine, even when the top is down. Plenty of wind to keep you cool when you're moving; adjust the registers to blow right on you, and will keep you nice and cool when traffic slows, too. I like to keep sunscreen in the glove box, as well.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:06 PM
asu_lee
Advanced

Dry heat...FTW!

Quick Reply: Cabriolet or Coupe