Cabriolet or Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Gj325
Posting this in the 997 forum . Hoping to get a wider view.

Have a appt. to Order 2011 Turbo S tomw. Dealer has a April Build for a Coupe or May build for Cabriolet.

I have never owned a Cabriolet in any car. I have a 2009 Targa 4 S at this time love the open top. I am leaning heavily toward Cabriolet but would love to hear from Porsche owners who have owned a Cab. Are there any downsides I am missing?

At this time I am going with Ice Blue with Black and Blue Int. Thinking of Blue top or would a Black top Hold up better? My second chioce would be Ruby Red with Black / White Int with Black top.

I will not be Tracking Car. This car will be a toy weekend car. it will live in Garage will be very unlikely to be driven in Rain only if caught in a shower.

I figure this will be my only chance to order a car of this Cal.

Thanks for your Input in Advance
This is almost a question about real estate--location location location.

Is your weather good enough to USE a cabriolet?

Today's cabriolets are incredible. They have slightly different suspension tuning than the coupes. Much nicer if you ask me. The coupes can be a bit too severe--particularly with the crappy roads in the USA.

The rear window. I would never have ordered a cabriolet without a glass window. Today's are fantastic.

Weather proofing. All there. You can even put a hardtop on it if you chose--that's what I do at times. (8 minutes to change).

Keep the colors simple. A black top is the easiest to maintain. If the blue top doesn't really go with the colors that you have selected it will clash. With all the black on these cars already (black trim along the rear of the canvas top, tires, plastic along wiper area, rubber window seals) you don't need to add another color to things.

Black and White interior? Are you sure you want to do that? The ruby is nice, but think about that interior again. (Maybe natural brown...)

Are you conservative in your color tastes? What is Ice Blue? Is this a paint to sample? I'm not familiar with a Porsche color by that name.

If it's a May 2010 build then you will perhaps see the car in late June 2010--losing some of your usage this coming summer.

I find that I drive with the top down a lot more than I thought I would, but then, I probably have the best weather in the country/world.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:51 AM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Still trying to Pull Trigger but all the input helps?

THPorsche You want a cab, otherwise, you would never ask the question

Yes I want the Cab. Or at least I think I do. Having to battle with the wife. Has some Basil Skin Cancer removed from forehead last year. Now I wear Ball Cap sunscreen and see Doc on Reg intervals to make sure skins is ok.

This is a big exp. so I am in between on Cab. or Coupe Looks like its a mixed Bag of thoughts here.

brendorenn these are all good perspectives, IMHO

for me, the turbo S is all about performance and with that in mind, i'd go a "pure" with the couple.

my 2 cents,

brendan

Wanted a Normal Turbo but none to be had but since I wanted PCCB , Pdk PTV and all goodies that comes on Turbo S it makes since Plus extra Hp

OTOH, the decision to buy a cab (or any Porsche really) is an emotional one so go with what feels right. You really can't go wrong either way.
Mike I agree its a emotional one Coupe will be a car of a lifetime as will Cab. Only thing that I can say for me at this moment is cant put Coupe Top down but I can buy a Hard Top for Coupe so I guess the big thing is if I buy Cab then get a Hard Top just wasted 15K

Thanks for all of your Thoughts Going to be a sleepless Night. Going to pull a Trigger Tomw. Still leaning Cab if wife doesnt change my mind for me.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:53 AM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 33 Posts

I rationalized my cab purchase based on a few simple things that made it a clear choice for me. These may or may not apply to your situation:
Weather......I'm in California, nuff said.
There is no substitute for the open air, engine sounds and overall feel with the top down. (I'm biased of course).
Like Dan said, the 997 cab is extremely rigid and quiet.
The performance difference between a cab and a coupe are not enough to be felt unless you are a dedicated track rat and know how to drive a car 10/10ths (I can guarantee you that while everyone thinks they can, they cannot.)
For me, although I make it out to the track 5-10 times a year, and a coupe might be a better choice for track use, I drive top down at least 10 times as many days as I go to the track.
With the top up, the cab doesn't have the clean lines of the coupe, but with the top down, it might just be the best shape on 4 wheels.
With a cab, you can put the top up. With a coupe, you can't put the top down. (Kinda lame, but true)
Like other have said, its a gut feel thing.
Bottom line is that the 997s are such great cars, you can't go wrong either way.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:55 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Cabs are great. I had an M3 cab and loved it - so did my dog - the smells and sensations are great. In GA, you get good top down weather in all but a few months (Aug - too hot, Feb - too cold...usually). I had an M3 coupe prior (both e36) and handling/ride was great in each, so I am sure Porsche is up to the task.

I didn't do a 911 cab for these reasons:

1 - cost was putting it out of the range I wanted to stay in.
2 - space was even less than in the coupe - not a deal breaker, but a consideration as the car is already so small.
3 - the vision of a 911 I have in my head - the "my car" I was imagining was a black coupe and I was afraid of having the "but next time..." thoughts.
4 - there is such a panorama in these cars anyway with the roof back and windows down - it ain't bad - any my dogs agree - they love it (relax - a couple of little Maltese with their own car seat).

...but next time...
Old 02-23-2010, 01:02 AM
Gj325
Pro

Black and White interior? Are you sure you want to do that? The ruby is nice, but think about that interior again. (Maybe natural brown...)

Are you conservative in your color tastes? What is Ice Blue? Is this a paint to sample? I'm not familiar with a Porsche color by that name.
If it's a May 2010 build then you will perhaps see the car in late June 2010--losing some of your usage this coming summer.

Black and White and Black and Blue are only Int Colors for Turbo S would way rather have Brown type color and I would have liked to Keep the Malachite Green as my Targa but dont think the Int colors go with the green.

Ice Blue is new color for the Turbo S it is the color of the Coupe that Porsche used on the Intro to Turbo S on Feb 8th It is very close to the Blue Color that Ferrari used to intro the Calf. when it came out.

Yes will lose some good driving time but they will let me keep Targa until Turbo comes in. Miles will be limited but I doubt if I will feel comfy driving car I know i will be trading in 3 months one accident would be costly on trade.

May have to opt for extra Hard top for dead heat of Memphis summer mainly Aug. and for Jan Feb in winter. Other than that weather can be mild here mainly just hot in summer.

FYI I love the color combo you have Dan Very Cool IMHO
Old 02-23-2010, 01:18 AM
jsmirand
Racer

Since you declared the car is a weekend toy on nice days, no tracking, the notion of a cab does have appeal. I have a cab, and find that with the top down, motoring for the simple pleasure of motoring is unsurpassed, with a turbo, I can only imagine how exhilarating it would be with the top down and windows down.

If I want a quite ride then I take the E class benz. As for high profile, I don't drive the car for what others think, I drive it for my enjoyment of it. Likewise, for low profile, I don't drive the car for what others think, I drive it for my enjoyment of it. What I mean is, if you love motoring, and you love the car, then what others think (high/low profile) is not relevant, its how you enjoy the ride, that's all that counts. And on a Turbo cab, I am sure the ride would be extremely enjoyable, to say the least.

John
Old 02-23-2010, 01:18 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

My only cab experience was my former 01 Boxster S that I drove daily for a couple years, with the top down 98% of the time (I'm in SoCal.) I enjoyed it in many ways, but when I swapped for a 996 Targa I was ready for a closed car (Targa being sort of a midway point). From that I went to a 997S coupe (note that's my car in post 10 above, pic lifted from the Wheel Enhancement website), and then to my current 09 TT coupe. For me, I think on balance I prefer a closed car - cleaner look (inside and out), perhaps more secure, and ??? I do drive mine daily.

I think you want a cab though and I would say go with your gut (or you'll regret it later). Keep a hat and sunscreen available. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a cab and its all really just personal preference.

And do show us what the color Ice Blue is. (New color for Turbo S's??)

Also think about doing a paint to sample if you have a non-stock color that would set your car apart - something I have always wanted to do and really quite inexpensive considering.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:57 AM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I like a coupe for these reasons:
coupe:
quieter,
better looking than cab with top up (IMO),
cleaner interior

cab:
noisy
poor dead-spot visibility
dirty dusty interior
as the cars age, I have always had issues with convertible tops not working/sealing properly

but as others have said, some people just like convertibles better and that is the kind of raw emotion that makes alot of us buy a Porsche in the first place
Old 02-23-2010, 01:27 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You've admitted it sucks in the summer and the winter in Memphis. It's not like you live somewhere where the weather is perfect for 9 months of the year (Arizona). Late Fall and early Spring are still too cold in Memphis. So you're left with what... a month or so in the Spring to early summer and then late summer to early Fall? Such a narrow range when it's not too hot or too cold, or humid like a swamp.

I think you'll be disappointed with owning a cab in Memphis.

Go with the coupe and use the sunroof for nice weather.

Last edited by yemenmocha; 02-23-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Gj325
Pro

Going to order around 5 pm today. They have a black turbo cab at dealer. Going to drive again along with wife. Then it will be just gut check.

Or coin toss
Old 02-23-2010, 02:01 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going to order around 5 pm today. They have a black turbo cab at dealer. Going to drive again along with wife. Then it will be just gut check.

Or coin toss
i think it' safe to say that you're going to get one helluva car either way
Old 02-23-2010, 02:57 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes I want the Cab.
So what else is here to speak of? You know what you want - just get it.
Worst case scenario - you`ll sell it later and will get something else.

Like in my case I knew I did not want a cab as I wanted to have a heavily modded race car in the end, plus MA weather is horrible most of the time. Plus my wife hates when wind messes up her hair. Plus I do not like driving on a highway in an open top car.

If you need a recreation car to drive in nice weather on good picturesque roads - go for it! Why not?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:26 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
as the cars age, I have always had issues with convertible tops not working/sealing properly
Been searching around and it seems they also look bad in a few years from wrinkles chafing and stains. Proper maintenance is essential. "Rag" top, makes you wonder about the truth of that epithet. Then again it doesn't matter to people, they want the Cab they get the Cab. I bet nobody ever regrets getting a Cab because the thing looks wrinkled.

Last edited by LlBr; 02-23-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:39 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Agree with the sentiment that if you have to ask the question cab vs. coupe, you want the cab (unless you intend to race it).

Note 997 in avatar to left is midnight blue cab with black interior. Everybody who sees it comments about how beautiful it is.

Last edited by raspritz; 02-23-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Gj325
Pro

they want the Cab they get the Cab. I bet nobody ever regrets getting a Cab because the thing looks wrinkled.
Agree with the sentiment that if you have to ask the question cab vs. coupe, you want the cab (unless you intend to race it).
Yes No brainier I want the Cab. I have been outed True but I did want to get some very valued opinions on the downfall I.E. Care requirements future maintenance problems.

3 more hours till time to meet and get the New Car Ordered. I am leaning towards Cab. But still not 100% sure. Letting everything soak in and try to make the best choice for us.

I have read every word from every person who responded and I am gratefully for your input. Its exactly what I needed to help me in this build. I have not even ever had a family member or a close friend that had a Cab. of any kind. Sometimes you don't get what you want but hey in this matter I win no matter what I choose. Starting to get very excited about the process only downfall is waiting for the car to arrive.
I am already thinking this maybe be longest spring ever.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet or Coupe