Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$90 ipod integration

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:54 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I received my Tranzit package yesterday. The only thing I'm slightly disappointed in is that there is only one input (RCA), so to be able to use it for both my XM radio and iPod, I'll need to extend the input jacks to the glove box where I can physically swap the input chords from my XM and my iPod. This may make powering the iPod a challenge, although I may choose just to use the earphone jack instead of the iPod connector. Assuming my antenna adapters arrive this week, I may install it this weekend.

Edit: Afterthought - what if I put Y-splitters on each of the 2 RCA input jacks on the Tranzit, and used 1 side of each Y for the iPod input, and the other side of each Y for the XM radio? I'd obviously have to just have one on at a time, and I suppose if I turned both on there could be some interesting sounds created. But if one was used at a time, would the other parallel (inactive) input device cause any impedance issues?

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 03-03-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken, Could you, kindly, post some pics?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:58 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alstoy
I'll take some when I do the job. I sent a question to the manufacturer to enquire about possibility of installing splitter cables to allow 2 input devices to be connected simultaneously. If not recommended, I'll extend the input jacks to somewhere convenient where I can change input device connections.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Here is a $10 iPod integration option from amazon. Not perfect, but they work. LOL!
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2010, 11:14 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Clifton
Here is a $10 iPod integration option from amazon. Not perfect, but they work. LOL!
How do you intend to plug this in?
Old 03-03-2010, 11:17 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by larrytrk
How do you intend to plug this in?
It looks like a simple FM transmitter where you plug it into the earphone jack on the iPod and play it through the FM radio in the car.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:19 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Good luck!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 01:33 AM
solidst8
Rennlist Member

Those y splitters are only made for outputs not inputs. You could damage your iPod and/or xm player. Don't do it.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:06 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by solidst8
Those y splitters are only made for outputs not inputs. You could damage your iPod and/or xm player. Don't do it.
Good point. Outputs may not like to see inputs from something else.

I wonder if someone makes a switch that would work.

Aha, I found a stereo a/b switch for $25 that switches 2 source inputs to one output, using 3.5 mm mini-plugs.
Oops, just found another one for $9, with RCA jacks, but isn't in stock.
Will go to my favorite electrical shop on weekend and look, and if necessary will buy a Double Pole Double Throw switch, a small plastic enclosure, and some audio jacks, and make one! Thanks for making me think this through better.

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 03-04-2010 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:48 AM
apw964
Instructor

Kenin - you may want to consider an RCA Y adapter (actually 2 of them) you could then run 2 separate RCA inputs - obviously not at the same time.

A
Old 03-04-2010, 12:10 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by solidst8
I've used those RCA splits for ins and outs for years with all sorts of stereo gear and, in college, even as a rinky-dink mixer matrix into TASCAM 1/4 reel tape machines. It can certainly degrade the audio quality and create grounding problems, but it won't break anything - not in my experience.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:08 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by stevepow
I've used those RCA splits for ins and outs for years with all sorts of stereo gear and, in college, even as a rinky-dink mixer matrix into TASCAM 1/4 reel tape machines. It can certainly degrade the audio quality and create grounding problems, but it won't break anything - not in my experience.
I may give it a try then. In my case, I seldom use the iPod, so it isn't plugged into it's connector. On the few occasions when I do want to use the iPod, I can easily remove the audio cord from my XM. If there are any problems, I can still put in a a/b audio switch to toggle between the 2 inputs.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:17 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by apw964
Yeah - this device has 2 frequencies. 93.7 and 93.3 (last one not sure on). The input is the standard red and white RCA style plug input so you can input anything.

As for pics - unfortunately I don't have any. I may have the console out again soon for other stuff I am doing there - I'll take some pics then if I remember.

Andy
I am installing my TransIt this weekend. There are 2 antenna connections on the back of the PCM, a yellow one and a black one. Which one is for FM?
Old 03-06-2010, 08:51 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I am installing my TransIt this weekend. There are 2 antenna connections on the back of the PCM, a yellow one and a black one. Which one is for FM?
Well, I lucked out I guess. I picked the yellow connector and all my systems are working so I must have picked the right one.

Originally Posted by Alstoy
Since I had to get under the dash and behind the PCM to install the iSimple TranzIt device, I did some other work at the same time. I installed a switched power outlet above the clutch pedal to plug my XM Roady2 radio into (it only comes with a power plug). I tapped off that circuit to run the power to both my recently acquired V1 as well as the TranzIt. See first image.

I acquired some Y-splitters so I could plug both my iPod Nano and my XM radio into the single set of RCA jacks on the TranzIt. While this may not be ideal, it works fine and I'm careful to only use one device at a time. When I can find one in stock, I will likely replace the splitter cords with an A/B switch device that I can mount under the dash to switch between the input devices.

I also dremelled a slot in the back of the bottom storage tray under the PCM so I could feed the iPod connector from the Tranzit into that area where I wanted to be able to plug in the iPod. I considered the rear console area, but find it very awkward to get at, whereas the area in front of the shifter is convenient to operate the iPod. I left about 8" of slack (and more is available by pulling) so I can easily hold the iPod for selection purposes. I just fed the remainder of the iPod cord assembly back on the passenger side of the center stack to the rear by the firewall and then across to the driver's side where I placed the Tranzit.

I fed the antenna cords, including the antenna adapters, through the metal framework behind the PCM. There is enough space behind the PCM to accommodate these cords when the PCM is returned to its normal location.

I ran the power wire and ground for the Tranzit across the top above the pedals, stowed under the top edge of the carpeting, to my power outlet wiring where I was able to "T" into those power and ground wires. After all connections were made, I was able to stow the excess wires and the Tranzit device at the back of the console. There is a switch for the Tranzit, but I left it stowed back there too, as I see no need to switch it on or off. Eventually if I can find a suitable switch that can be mounted more easily under the dash, I may move it to an accessible location.

Both the XM and the iPod are working fine. There are 2 FM frequencies to chose from on the Tranzit: 87.9 and 88.3 I have it set on the 87.9 frequency, although both frequencies are unused in LA. So after I have a chance to fully check it out and make sure it works to my satisfaction, I may have a Dension for sale.

Since these photos are out of order (I guess I should get a Photo Bucket account) they are as follows:

Photo 1: new switched power source under dash
Photo 2: completed install of the TranzIt device
Photo 3: XM radio on dash, and iPod cord in bottom tray
Photo 4: view of Tranzit and cords stowed in rear of center stack
Photo 5: view of antenna leads at back of removed PCM. Even though the antenna adapter is straight and not right-angled like the yellow one on the car, it still fit in the space behind the PCM when the PCM was put back into place.

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 05-29-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Ken,

Great work mate! Thanks for the pics and detail. Will wait for your report. I plan to try this as soon as I find a free afternoon.

Cheers

Quick Reply: $90 ipod integration