Sponsored by:

PCM & PSE Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 02:21 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 467 Posts
Default PCM & PSE Retrofit

#1) Hard to find PSE sometimes on cars on the dealers lots but as others have noted it isn't so rare that it can not be added easily after the fact as now can can PCM 3.0 NAV (which is much more expensive). Beware though...as I found out almost the hard way that PSE takes 12.0 install hours as quoted by PCNA and PC-AG tech manuals. I was like WHAT as well until they showed me my car taken apart and explained that they had to re-wire the exhaust switch and control module on 09 cars that do NOT come from the factory with PSE as a factory option. Seems that it requires pulling the interior console and carpet, etc. Takes 12 hrs (2 days) according to the tech bulletins however as my sales manager DID NOT know this when they quoted me a 4 hr install time and sold the car they realized that they had told me data whcih they obviously couldn't meet. However they were stand up guys as they only charged me 4hrs labor which I was originally quoted when I made my purchase deal eventhough it took alot longer to do in time and cost. Also gave me an 08 Boxster SE to drive overnight which was nice!

#2) PCM Nav retrofit IS available as a retrofit; this is in contrast to what some on the forum are saying. My dealer found out the day I bought my car...and am getting mine installed later on when I can get into the schedule. Be advised tho tt IS expensive (about 1/3 more than having it as a factory option) and they have to order it direct from Germany...none were in the country even at Suncoast Porsche who usually has everything but had zero of the PCM 3.0 Retrofit kits. Took about a month to get and looks to be about 4 hours labor...not as bad as PSE as its mostly plug in play but they do replace your WHOLE PCM not just click in the NAV module as they do when PCM 3.0 goes bad also I hear.

So like others have said you can update an 09 car you may find with at least those "rare" options if you want them and you find a car that has most of what you want...althought as I found out it is likely alot cheaper to get it already ordered/installed that way. But some dealers are helpful and willing to earn your business.

#3Also Porsche is offering a Winter Sale 20% off tequipment thru 31 March 2010 so that can help ofset your costs as well. Hope the info helps u guys out there as well.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:44 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Thanks for the update. The PSE retrofit is considerably cheaper if you forego the switch option. But I like having the ability to turn it on and off as desired.

I'm thinking that PCM retrofit would be pretty expensive--nearly prohibitively expensive.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:16 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Carnewal now has a cheap remote control for PSE that should avoid the expensive part of PSE installation: http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p97084.htm
Old 02-19-2010, 08:45 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Tech bulletin quotes 6 units (hours), with factory switch for 09 PSE install. This includes PIWIS programming of DME.
Mine was installed with my ashtray on/off switch, ala my 06S install, bypassing any DME control.
My mechanic said it was a more detailed install than the 06 was.
12 hours is a bit much for the install, must be their first install.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:01 PM
batty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of the Carnewal remote, Jim, you've got a PM...
Old 02-19-2010, 09:09 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Tech bulletin quotes 6 units (hours), with factory switch for 09 PSE install. This includes PIWIS programming of DME.
Mine was installed with my ashtray on/off switch, ala my 06S install, bypassing any DME control.
My mechanic said it was a more detailed install than the 06 was.
12 hours is a bit much for the install, must be their first install.
I agree. the simple ashtray switch simplifies the install, and is better IMO. Also, when I installed PSE wiring in my Targa a couple of years ago, I ran the power wire to the console by tucking it in crevices, thus avoiding the need to remove a lot of carpeting etc. It may not have been as permanent, but it did the job fine for me. I will admit though, the installation of the control wiring took me longer than the replacement of the mufflers, mainly due to the challenge of fishing wiring through the grommet from engine bay to rear interior area. Very awkward to access (but NOT impossible).
Old 02-19-2010, 09:40 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I agree. the simple ashtray switch simplifies the install, and is better IMO. Also, when I installed PSE wiring in my Targa a couple of years ago, I ran the power wire to the console by tucking it in crevices, thus avoiding the need to remove a lot of carpeting etc. It may not have been as permanent, but it did the job fine for me. I will admit though, the installation of the control wiring took me longer than the replacement of the mufflers, mainly due to the challenge of fishing wiring through the grommet from engine bay to rear interior area. Very awkward to access (but NOT impossible).
Wiring through engine compartment much worse in 997.2!!!!
Old 02-19-2010, 10:10 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Wiring through engine compartment much worse in 997.2!!!!
I guess that is called "progress".

Quick Reply: PCM & PSE Retrofit