Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 year warranty with non-CPO car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Motoace
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 year warranty with non-CPO car?

Hi All-
Searched old threads first so hopefully this is not just another uneducated newbie CPO post...
Questions deal with a used 2006/07 997
Basic question is can I get a non-CPO car with a factory 6 year/up to 100,000 mile warranty? Did dealers sell new 06/07 997s with 6 year warranties or is CPO only way?

I’m looking for the longer warranty, not necessarily the CPO status. Some owners list their cars as original owner with CPO which seems impossible. It might be original owner with 6 year warranty in place if possible. Yes?

I’d like to purchase a private party car with a 6-year Porsche warranty in place. Possible? Only if I am 3rd owner?

Example-Original owner trades in car, Porsche CPOs it. Dealer sells to second owner with CPO and longer warranty. I purchase it private party (3rd owner) and 6 year transfers with sale.
I know I can…

buy a CPO car from dealer with 6-year 'factory' warranty.

buy a non-CPO car from dealer with original 4 year/50,000 warranty in place.

buy a car from private party with original 4 year/50,000 warranty in place.

buy a previously ‘CPOed’ car from a non-Porsche dealer with 6 year Porsche warranty and have them tell me it stays in place although everything I’ve read/discussed with Porsche says Porsche warranty is voided once it passes through non-Porsche dealer.

I believe beyond ‘fixes’ like new tires, etc. that the dealer must put on to CPO, the rest beyond the extended warranty is a checklist that can be accomplished with a PPI and DME scan.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:15 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I actually don't understand your question...

CPO adds up to 2 years to original warranty, and only offered at Porsche dealers, unless you buy a used ALREADY CPOed car from a private party.

Private dealers do NOT offer CPO, but may offer 3rd party warranties. You need to be very careful with 3rd party warranties, and read all the fine print. Probably not worth it in most cases.

Private sellers who bought a CPO car, can transfter it to you.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:22 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The correct answer is.... maybe.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Motoace
8th Gear

alexb76

I understand CPO adds 2 years to existing warranty. It seems from your response you are confirming no way to get private party car with 6 year Porsche warranty unless at some point it went to dealer for CPO. This would mean I would have to be at least 3rd owner.

Original owner buys from dealer. Dealer takes car and sells to private party (2nd owner) with CPO and 6 year warranty. I purchase car from Private party with 6 year warranty (3rd owner).

Anybody out there purchase a 2006/07 new with 6 years of Porsche coverage?

With my Volvo I had the option of paying extra at time of original purchase to extend coverage past their 'standard' warranty.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Porsche did not offer a way to buy a new car with factory extended warranty coverage. It is possible that you could buy a car that had been previously certified, and would carry the balance of that coverage. Technically, you'd be at least the 3rd owner.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:49 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

The CPO warranty runs out on my car November 2010. Car was "punched" in November 2004.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Very simple... if the first owner bought a demo the dealer can sell the demo with the CPO in place and despite the fact the first actual owner didn’t take possession and title the car when it was punched he was able to be the first titled holder and had just about 6 years and 100k in coverage. In addition Porsche from time to time runs some incentive to dealers to punch cars as demos put them in “service” as a service loaner and then they get assistance from PCNA on the car. Often times in that case the car gets punched as a “service loaner” despite the fact it really does not get loaned out as a service loaner and then sold with a CPO on it. Don’t forget that the Porsche CPO is an extension of the full factory warranty there is NO difference in the regular warranty and the CPO anymore.

Quick Reply: 6 year warranty with non-CPO car?