Porsche certication

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:21 AM
alain-964c2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche certication

Is Porsche pre-owned certification available on private party sales or by non-Porsche dealer.

That is, if I want to buy a recent pre-owned car from a non-Porsche dealer, can I take the car to a Porsche dealer, pay the $2k or $3k and get a Porsche warranty for a year or two?
Old 02-16-2010, 10:45 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally, no. Porsche frowns upon this and very few dealers
would be willing to jeopardize their relationship with Porsche
by doing this.

That being said, there may be a dealer willing to take the car
in on trade, certify it, and sell it back to you.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:47 AM
alain-964c2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
Generally, no. Porsche frowns upon this and very few dealers
would be willing to jeopardize their relationship with Porsche
by doing this.

That being said, there may be a dealer willing to take the car
in on trade, certify it, and sell it back to you.
This is what I thought, just wanted a second opinion.

But will definitely take the car in for a PPI.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2010, 11:07 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alain-964c2
This is what I thought, just wanted a second opinion.

But will definitely take the car in for a PPI.

Thanks
A PPI is always money well spent on a private party transaction.

If you get it bought, let us know, and post pictures. Lots of pictures.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:19 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by alain-964c2
Is Porsche pre-owned certification available on private party sales or by non-Porsche dealer.

That is, if I want to buy a recent pre-owned car from a non-Porsche dealer, can I take the car to a Porsche dealer, pay the $2k or $3k and get a Porsche warranty for a year or two?
Highly doubt it, unless you have a very good relationship with the dealer, or your private lot does.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Clifton
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Keep in mind that "certified pre-owned" was invented as a way for car dealers to distinguished themselves from private party sellers and independent car dealers. A feel good agent for the buyer and money maker for the dealer. As such, they don't really want to give that profit and marketing away.

As others have mentioned, a PPI/PDI is worth every penny and buying from a real enthusiast can be a great experience if you take your time to find the right one.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:08 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Clifton
Keep in mind that "certified pre-owned" was invented as a way for car dealers to distinguished themselves from private party sellers and independent car dealers. A feel good agent for the buyer and money maker for the dealer. As such, they don't really want to give that profit and marketing away.

As others have mentioned, a PPI/PDI is worth every penny and buying from a real enthusiast can be a great experience if you take your time to find the right one.
I agree buying from a private party who is a Porsche enthusiast is
a very enjoyable transaction.

I purchased mine from another lawyer who absolutely loved 911's and
meticulously maintained every one of them he had owned over the years.

He was selling the one I bought to buy a 2010 Guards Red GT3.
Perhaps I'll buy his GT3 in a couple of years when he's ready for a GT2.

Very smooth and enjoyable transaction.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:46 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's not forget the obvious. CPO is a tool for Porsche dealers to sell cars. Whether they are cars they took in trade on another Porsche purchase, a car they picked up at Auction, etc. I've found no difference between those traditional methods and having a dealer help put a deal together especially if the car was originally purchased at the dealership. I've done this 2 times before and the original selling dealer was happy to help by facilitating the sale. Car sold to 3rd party a year prior, I want to buy it but with the assurances of PPI / CPO, we made our deal, the car was sold to the dealership where it was inspected and then sold to me. On my last one I think the number was $1850 in "premium" which covered the inspection and the warranty extension.

Lots of threads out there on this if you want to read through dozens of opinions. 50/50 with people thinking "no" and those that found "yes" to be feasible (like me).
Old 02-16-2010, 01:33 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
Let's not forget the obvious. CPO is a tool for Porsche dealers to sell cars. Whether they are cars they took in trade on another Porsche purchase, a car they picked up at Auction, etc. I've found no difference between those traditional methods and having a dealer help put a deal together especially if the car was originally purchased at the dealership. I've done this 2 times before and the original selling dealer was happy to help by facilitating the sale. Car sold to 3rd party a year prior, I want to buy it but with the assurances of PPI / CPO, we made our deal, the car was sold to the dealership where it was inspected and then sold to me. On my last one I think the number was $1850 in "premium" which covered the inspection and the warranty extension.

Lots of threads out there on this if you want to read through dozens of opinions. 50/50 with people thinking "no" and those that found "yes" to be feasible (like me).
So you mean you had the dealer be in the middle of the deal, so you get the CPO? Was the 3rd party an individual or a private dealer?
Old 02-16-2010, 03:12 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

My example with the GT3 was a private party, but I've had another where it was a non-Porsche dealer, but the Porsche dealer had originally sold the car so they knew it, had maintained it, etc. In the case of a non-Porsche dealer, I think it all depends on the relationship between dealers and what the motivations are. Whether the Porsche dealer buys a car from an individual (trade in or just purchase), buys from the auto auctions, or buys from a local non-Porsche dealer really shouldn't make much sense. Bottom line is it is up to both dealers in this case to decide they want to get involved. The Porsche dealer may do it for the service work (contract for warranty is a pass through to Porsche) and maybe they want to pick you up as a service customer for the future and maybe you'll buy a new one from them in years to come.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:33 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
My example with the GT3 was a private party, but I've had another where it was a non-Porsche dealer, but the Porsche dealer had originally sold the car so they knew it, had maintained it, etc. In the case of a non-Porsche dealer, I think it all depends on the relationship between dealers and what the motivations are. Whether the Porsche dealer buys a car from an individual (trade in or just purchase), buys from the auto auctions, or buys from a local non-Porsche dealer really shouldn't make much sense. Bottom line is it is up to both dealers in this case to decide they want to get involved. The Porsche dealer may do it for the service work (contract for warranty is a pass through to Porsche) and maybe they want to pick you up as a service customer for the future and maybe you'll buy a new one from them in years to come.
Thanks.

BTW, what did you decide to do about your brakes? GT3 or else?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:18 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Still thinking about it, but am leaning toward Giro solid slotted rotors. Don't really have an issue with the calipers or braking power of the car, just have issues with the durability of the OEM drilled rotors.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

The CPO itself costs a dealer just a shade under 2000 bucks from Porsche. On top of that the dealer can not CPO the car without doing a service on the car at the time of the CPO which again costs the dealer money. In addition if the car does not meet specs then in order to CPO the car it might cost the dealer more in parts and labor to bring the car up to snuff for CPO. Things like tires, brakes, battery etc all have to meet CPO spec. ALso the car for the most part cant have much in the way of paint work for been in more than a small fende bender. More often then not its not worth it for a Porsche dealer to get into a deal like that unless they have a relation with on of the clients as someone mentioned already

Quick Reply: Porsche certication